Wii Game Library.

xbandaidx

WiiChat Member
Nov 27, 2006
Wisconsin
Wii Online Code
4857-5695-0490-5844
Alrighty, its 12:16 AM right now and I'm bored.

Anyways, I talked to a friend of mine the other day (another big gamer) and he said that him and his step brother used to buy games and stuff, but eventually they stopped because games were expensive. He also stated that he felt a bit dumb after a while for buying them because usually its just 'beat the game and than put it aside' type scenario.

Lately I've been debating if I want to actually TRULY start a game library, I realize the advantages of having one, but also the disadvantages.

So the questions come...

Are any of you planning on building a Wii library? Why?
What method do you usually use to determine if you should buy the game?
What do you feel are the advantages of having a game library?

I'm interested to see what you all say. Personally I like the idea of having a game library because I love Nintendo, and I know that Developers look at how many games are sold per console rates to determine if they should release for it or not. I like to support Nintendo. They stand for a lot of gaming ideals that I agree with. I do realize that at '50 bucks a pop' like my friend likes to say it, that game libraries can become pricey.

well, instead of making a library, i prefer like.. swapping games with a friend.

for example, hes playing COD3, and i'm playing Zelda.. i finish zelda, he finishes CoD3 and we can swap em around.. saves us some cash.

I say if you can afford it, then go for it. But unfortuantely, rather they want to admit it or not, most people can't afford to go out and buy 1,000 worth of games to make a game library. So for that matter, (1)no I don't plan on making a library because of the prices. (2) I read reviews on the game and ask around before I buy it and (3) Advantages of a game library is that you got it all. You can play whatever you want whenever you want. Disadvantage is you probably got A LOT of games sitting there that arn't gettin' played and that's just wasted money!!!!!! Man these games are just two expensive, its unreal.

wii.ndi said:
well, instead of making a library, i prefer like.. swapping games with a friend.

for example, hes playing COD3, and i'm playing Zelda.. i finish zelda, he finishes CoD3 and we can swap em around.. saves us some cash.

Certainly an interesting thought I haven't thought of before. However its not very helpful for the games that will sport online multiplayer in the future, and I'm sure the majority of Wii games will eventually have that.

iplaywii said:
I say if you can afford it, then go for it. But unfortuantely, rather they want to admit it or not, most people can't afford to go out and buy 1,000 worth of games to make a game library. So for that matter, (1)no I don't plan on making a library because of the prices. (2) I read reviews on the game and ask around before I buy it and (3) Advantages of a game library is that you got it all. You can play whatever you want whenever you want. Disadvantage is you probably got A LOT of games sitting there that arn't gettin' played and that's just wasted money!!!!!! Man these games are just two expensive, its unreal.

That is true they are expensive, but the costs that are involved with game developments are astronomical these days, and many companies have admitted it that developing for the Wii is much cheaper.

However, like I said I want to make sure all the great games come to the Wii, and the fact of unique controller system might not be enough for some game developers for them to release for the Wii. Generally money talks, and that goes back to what I said about games per console reasoning.

I know one person who is getting a library or planning on it, isn't going to be significant in games per console reports however, every little bit helps.

Last edited:
God...FINALLY! an intelligent thread! I'm so relieved....

I agree that games are pricey, but I really want to make a Wii game library. I wish I had been a lot older when the NES came out (instead of being like 2 or 3 when I got it), because I would have had so many kick ass games for it right now. I take VERY good care of my games, so that all my NES stuff would have been in extremely good condition (just the normal wear and tear, ya know). Unfortunately, my parents gave my NES and games to my cousins and they ended up breaking it a few months later -__-' Fortunately, i still have my SNES, GameBoy, GB Color, GB Advance, and all games for those systems.

Also, my family isn't very well off, to say the least. So many of my games were either borrowed from friends or pirated. Sure, it was free, but having that game in your hands and knowing its your is wonderful.

The first time I experienced this was November 19, after camping out 12 hours for the Wii, I bought it with my own money (financial aid money, same thing >_>). Getting home quickly, unwrapping it, and playing Wii Sports and the beautiful Zelda (the only zelda I have played :p) could only be described in one word: Love.

I know I'm going to have that Wii for the rest of my life. And I want every game I play on it to be mine, so that when I have kids, I can bust it out and show them the technology of back in the day, and they can laugh at my old wrinkly ass as they play their touch-air games that run on a chip in their brains.

It really does make me a bit sad that I didnt' have a chance to compile a NES game library for myself, or even an SNES one because of my families financial situation.

I actually was pondering on this very thought a few days ago, when I saw this story through Digg.

Wouldn't it be amazing to have all that? To be able to say "yup, all these games are MINE." To be able to point out each game and remember atleast one thing about them, fighting some roommate for one of the SNES games, killing a man for a PS2 controller.

Now I'm just rambling, hahahahaha, but seriously, maybe it's just me being a nerd, but a game library is something thats DEEP, something that has memories attached to it, good or bad.

If I had that old NES with me still, best controller hands down in the history of video gaming: NES Advantage.

-SpideyKonfusion ;_;

Most of the time I'll just wait until I can find a nicely priced used copy (around ~$30) then I'll buy that. Until then, I just play old games, or I can buy some off the Wii online store. :)

Yup, I hear ya you can really take the money issue both ways I guess. But referring to the development cost. If you lower the price your going to sell more games, which in the end means more money? There getting to greedy with this stuff! If it's a good game I'll give $50 for it, but I don't think there is anything out there that's really worth that right now. Need some good multiplayer games out there (wish call of duty 3 would have been)!!! I will not buy it just for that reason.

I'd like to eventually have a nice library, but don't want to spend a ton on it. I really think $50 is crazy for some of the games. Instead, I stuck with 3 games (+ Sports) to start off with (and Zelda was a gift for my wife, so I'm not even sure if that counts :D). They will EASILY keep me occupied for a long time.

I'll probably do one of those online game rental services sometime next year (probably February, after I get used to next semester a little and get a little list of the games I'd love to have. Then...used game bins! :) I have no problem at all with used games (so long as they work, of course). They usually even come in the original packaging (minus the plastic), with book and all...if anyone reads those still.

I've also thought about going and getting a couple cheap Gamecube controllers (dirt cheap on eBay) and getting a bunch of games for it via Wii. I've never owned a GC, but I know some people that have, and it's got some of the funnest games ever. And, since it's last-gen, games will get uber-cheap for it.

Used Wii games + Used GC games + New VC games :) = Decent Collection - Crazy Expenses

With older consoles, when I was in school, I used to save and save until I had enough to buy 2 or 3 games, then I used to watch the game sites and plan the ones to buy. This always left me without some games because they were too short or not quite as good as others, and due to this I feel like I have missed out on some amazing titles. I'm no longer taking that path.
At the moment I'm lucky due to my work situation. I have recently had my hours increased and since I was more than able to keep my self afloat financially before hand, now I have some disposable income I can put to good use. Half goes to savings but the other half will get spent on what I want, and for now, that is Wii games.
I won't go crazy and buy every game out, simply due to the fact I will not enjoy some genres. Sport games for example, I've never been a fan so I won't buy them. But if there's a chance I'll enjoy it, I'll get it. And once I have it, I'll keep it. I'll be more than happy to lend them out to friends, I have several who are getting their Wiis soon. But I don't think I will sell them afterwards. I get the feeling that a lot of Wii titles will have great replay lives. I know from my collection so far that Wii Sports, Raving Rabbids and even Zelda to some degree (I could watch it being played by friends) will outlive an ordinary game's gaming life.

So, to answer the original questions directly.

Yes I'm going to build a gaming library, because I feel the games will be worth it and I'm in the position to do so financially.

To determine if I should buy a game I will go on internet and magazine reviews for unknown titles, my own opinions on 'research' of known titles, and word of mouth from friends for both. Also demos and such if available.

The advantage of having a game library... tougher question. Having a choice if you're not in the mood for the latest X title must have game. Being able to look back at past titles and see how the system has evolved. Always having that one amazing title that isn't appreciated until years after it's out. Having games to lend friends or even just let friends play when they come over.

So, there's my say.

P.S. It should be noted that I get my games through family on the island of Jersey. So instead of the normal £40 per title it's only £34 ish with shipping. A small saving I know but it helps.

Some excellent responses!

It hasn't occured to me about the used game bins, some reason that slipped my mind and I forgot about them. One mans trash (even know they sold it back to a store) is another mans treasure. (discounted). I will definitely start making most use of checking those bins out in the future when the wii has been out for some time. I'm sure it will be hard to find some good titles because usually people keep them, but you know never know I guess.

As for development costs, I don't entirely blame developers for the cost of games they are asking for, I realize there is the retail channel asking for marked up prices but even then I know a few sites that always sell things below retail however when it comes to games they don't really do it for them.

I personally agree with having a library that I can look back on someday, and potentially having a game system and that library being a valuable item. Why? Well many say that Nintendo's Wii is the next system in a long time to revolutionize the industry, being that Atari 2600 was the last system to have done that according to many media sources.

I'm not sure about any game rental services because they are fairly pricey in some terms and the fact that I usually hear a lot of the whole "it takes forever for the next game to get shipped out" and that sounds like a business tactic they use to drag on time and get more money.

Many of you have made many wonderful suggestions so far, and I hope more people continue to post something and keep this thread on topic.

For a lesser price, you could get some sd cards and have a very nice VC game library (when they start really pumping the games out that is) But i always tend to trade in games so i can get others, kind of like recyclying them, but true classics (usually multiplayer games) i keep forever.

I have over 60+ games from ps2(ive had it since the christmas it came out),and i occasionally go back and play some,not as much now due to my 360(and hopefully a wii for christmas)
i like it,i dont know why,but i do...

ill probably do the same for wii and 360

edit:
p.s im not a spoiled brat.i work hard for what i earn.and im also not overweight playing video games either,i play sports

For every console I own we have a wide varietry of games. We just never trade them. I usually get games for my birthday and my dad is a gamer so he buys games. I just recently traded some games in from my PS2 library in order to get some money on Wii games. It's not even worth it really. I like the idea about trading with friends, I might have to try that.

Yeah, I decided that I'm gonna build a game library after all.

I thought more about what SpideyKonfusion said about years down the road someday taking it out (We know how Nintendo's quality lasts a long time) and playing it with my kids someday and for myself. I'm not sure how much I will remember of Zelda TP in about 10+ years, playing it again would obvisually be outdated graphics at the time and all, but an amazing story waiting to be told.

Only thing that concerns me is DVD Rot now, I had having to open a Wii game case years down the road and find DVD rot taking place on one of the games. Considering 20% of dvds made are effected by it.

Plus the thought of having one of my shelves filled with Wii titles across it seems pretty cool.

Back