Wii games from UK work in USA?

FriskyB

WiiChat Member
Feb 3, 2009
I'm trying to get the Gotlieb Pinball Classics for our Wii. The only ones I can find online are in the UK. Do they use the same disks as we do or are they incompatible?

My understanding is only DVD movies use region encoding. Games should be OK, unless they have a DVD bonus, then the bonus disk won't work. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone with more experience will correct me.

EDIT After a bit of research it looks like the Wii is region encoded, so it will not work with games from a different region. The regions are defined as Japan/US, Europe, and Asia.

Last edited:
The only way to play a UK game on a US Wii would be to
a) Chip it - Cant talk about that here
b) Use one of them discs that let you play imports (I forget the name) but you wont be able to update your Wii
c) Google "Twilight hack" I think theres a homebrew thing that will let you use UK games on a US Wii but yet again you wont be able to update your Wii
In before the same old argument about the legality about the Twilight hack (Tis legal)

Thanks for the quick response...I'll wait to see if anyone chimes in who knows this for certain before ordering. I hope you're correct. I'm Old School and my wife and I grew up on pinball...we have the Williams and Dream Pinball games already.

you can't play PAL (global) games on NTSC (N. America) wii's.
the work-around is to mod your wii with a chip.

Thanks for the quick response...I'll wait to see if anyone chimes in who knows this for certain before ordering. I hope you're correct. I'm Old School and my wife and I grew up on pinball...we have the Williams and Dream Pinball games already.
If its pinball your after theres a few on the Virtual Console
Sonic Spinball
Alien Crush (good game)
Devils Crush (See above)

But by doing a bit of research (I wikied it) I found out it gose by a slightly different name in the US
Pinball Hall Of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection.

Thanks to all. Legal/Not Legal The point here is that if it were available in the US, I would buy it- so I'm not trying to screw anyone by doing a work around. I'll do some searches on the "chip" route.

Thanks again for everyones help!

I don't think it's worth the risk and inconvenience for one title. And I don't think the Gottlieb tables are as good as the Williams tables either. Think twice before you mod your Wii. You may regret it.

I don't think it's worth the risk and inconvenience for one title. Think twice before you mod your Wii. You may regret it.
There is that
Im what you would call a anime freak and I dont go chipping my consoles just to play those games that will never get a translation (mainly because most are ment to be dier)

And most UK games are edited (ok maybe not pinball)
Give those I mentioned a try
The "Crush" series of games (there on VC)are what you would call "Cult classics" there pinball but with more things added (Like bossies)
I think if I remember rightly there only 500 points (about $5 im not sure)

The only way to play a UK game on a US Wii would be to
a) Chip it - Cant talk about that here
b) Use one of them discs that let you play imports (I forget the name) but you wont be able to update your Wii
c) Google "Twilight hack" I think theres a homebrew thing that will let you use UK games on a US Wii but yet again you wont be able to update your Wii
In before the same old argument about the legality about the Twilight hack (Tis legal)

b) = Use the Freeloader disc. its your best bet and wont harm your system.

Thats what I was thinking of

Still
Nintendo are trying to block it with them firmware updates

Freeloader was broken by a system update awhile back. If you happen to have an older Wii without the latest update, it may still work. However, you're going to be forced to apply the latest update eventually in order to play newer games.

If you are looking for other pinball games, there is also Alien Crush Returns on WiiWare. I bought it but I was disappointed because it's just a points fest. The tables have no deep rule sets like a Williams or Pro Pinball (PC) table has. Just thought I'd mention it.

http://www.hudson.co.jp/ww/aliencrush/usa/e/

Back