Wii Internet Browsing Security Issues

dnamertz

WiiChat Member
Nov 27, 2009
If I use the Wii internet channel to browse the internet, are there any security issues that can arise? Is there the potential for viruses or spyware, the same way there is if I'm surfing the net on my PC? If so, are there certain security settings I can change while using the Wii on the internet, the same way I can change security settings on Internet Explorer on my PC?

VERY good question dn! Of course the first starting point is the security you have if you are connecting to a wireless network (rather hardwire your Wii via the USB via Cat 5 or similar cable) . I've read with alarm some threads where folks have removed the password from their wireless network to overcome internet connectivity issues - which typically manifest as a 51330 error. Then there is the security settings in your router. I've not heard of any hack, DOS attack, spyware, worm hits on Wiis - but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. One would hope that any Nintendo hosted web content is secured by SSL (https) encryption.

Regarding viruses, trojans and the like, there's no worries for your Wii. What information can be stolen from the Wii, if any, will pale in comparison to what a hack could pull from your normal computer. Thus, hackers simply aren't interested in posing security risks to the Wii, and haven't bothered making programs to attack the Wii. In fact, the Wii would probably be safer to use the internet on than a normal computer, lol.

If by the very miniscule chance I'm wrong, as WiiColin above has mentioned, simply keep your standard router security in check, and don't remove your password from the router.

I don't remember if I have my wireless router set up with a password. How can I find out?

If you attempt to reconnect the Wii to your router by making a new connection (overwrite your current one, or make a new one in the other two slots; doesn't matter which method), you should be asked for a "WEP Key", a sort of password. If you don't know what that is, take a quick read here.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelessfaqs/f/wep_keys.htm

If your Wii isn't asking for one, that may mean your Router doesn't currently have one. If your Wireless Network doesn't have a WEP Key, it may be a good idea to get one. Without having one, people can steal your wireless internet access so long as they're in range, for free. This would also make a "remote hack" (hacking without usage of viruses and trojans; a direct attempt with their own computer) ridiculously easier for a person to gain access to your computer's information.

In short, it's really important to have your WEP Key in place. If you don't know how to install it, contact your router's company or producer, since different routers take different methods to set up a WEP Key. You should be able to find a number to call and any other useful information on a sticker somewhere on your router.

My laptop (which is connected to the router wireless) has a WPA2 Security Type and has a Network Security password under the Network Connection settings.

My PC (which is plugged directly into the router, as my Wii is) does not have a password as far as I know. Does each computer need a password, or just the ones connected to the router via wireless)?

I've never been able to connect computers directly to the router because of it's position in the household, so I'm sorry to say I don't know about a wired local connection.

Also, since multiple computers connect to the same wireless network, you only need one password and one network setting, actually. WEP and WPA passwords are made for the wireless network the router creates, not each particular computer that connects to it. All for convenience, really. So you're fine as is, I would imagine.

If you attempt to reconnect the Wii to your router by making a new connection (overwrite your current one, or make a new one in the other two slots; doesn't matter which method), you should be asked for a "WEP Key", a sort of password. If you don't know what that is, take a quick read here.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelessfaqs/f/wep_keys.htm

If your Wii isn't asking for one, that may mean your Router doesn't currently have one. If your Wireless Network doesn't have a WEP Key, it may be a good idea to get one. Without having one, people can steal your wireless internet access so long as they're in range, for free. This would also make a "remote hack" (hacking without usage of viruses and trojans; a direct attempt with their own computer) ridiculously easier for a person to gain access to your computer's information.

In short, it's really important to have your WEP Key in place. If you don't know how to install it, contact your router's company or producer, since different routers take different methods to set up a WEP Key. You should be able to find a number to call and any other useful information on a sticker somewhere on your router.

Yup! Totally agree on all counts SSB! :yesnod:

My laptop (which is connected to the router wireless) has a WPA2 Security Type and has a Network Security password under the Network Connection settings.

My PC (which is plugged directly into the router, as my Wii is) does not have a password as far as I know. Does each computer need a password, or just the ones connected to the router via wireless)?

G'day dnamertz. Two different passwords for completely different reasons. As SSB pointed out elsewhere, your Network key is there to reduce the risk of someone hacking into your Wireless Network. It won't guarantee no one will (there are lots of smart password/secondary user digital ceretificate (SSL) etc type key generator software products out there) - but it will stop the average joe 'borrowing' your network. The password on your PC/Laptop/Slab/Tablet etc is up to you. It's more of a 'physical environment' password to allow you to secure your unit if you are not there but the unit is still on. Settings can be changed as to when (time wise of inactivity) the unit swaps into password required mode.

Back