router security

nixy_pixy

WiiChat Member
Jan 3, 2007
After disabling the security on my router, i managed to get online with the wii and download updates and access the wii shop channel etc. However, when i switch the security back on, i can't get online again with the wii. I don't want to switch off the security everytime i want to get online with my wii as my pc cannot connect to the wireless connection when the security is disabled. Can anyone help??

Also, if I download a game from the wii shop channel, do I have to be online in order to play it?

You do not have to be online to play VC games, only to initially download them.

What type of "security" are you using? If MAC address restriction, you must add the Wii's MAC address to the allowed list in your router. If using WEP or WPA, you must add the key to your Wii in the Internet setup options.

I'm using WEP and the security key is in the wii, I have mac filtering switched off. At the moment I seem to be able to switch off security and use my wii but not my pc, or have security switched on and use my pc and not my wii. I want to be able to use them both at the same time.

Are you saying as long as the computer is off, the Wii works with WEP? Interesting. Have you any static assigned IPs that may be conflicting, or is the router assigning IPs via DHCP?

No, my pc can be switched on but it loses internet connection when my router security is disabled but when its disabled, i can get online with the wii. My problem is, I want to get online with them both at the same time.

You haven't set your Wii up properly with your WEP security key then.

Your PC is disconnecting because when you disable WEP, it's still trying to use the proper WEP key, and it's being rejected by the router.

Your Wii is able to connect when WEP is off because it's (from the sound of things) not configured properly for WEP in the first place. When you turn off WEP for your router, your router no longer cares if your Wii's WEP is misconfigured.

If a router is configured to accept WEP connections, it will ONLY accept WEP connections, and ONLY if they have the correct key. Your Wii does NOT meet these requirements.

If a router is NOT configured to accept WEP connections, it will NOT accept WEP connections, and it doesn't care what the key is, WEP is disabled. Your PC does NOT meet these requirements, because it IS trying to connect via WEP, and your router is denying it access. Your Wii DOES meet these requirements, because it is NOT trying to connect via WEP.

Then again, I could just be a raving lunatic. Or not.

Have just doubled checked the internet settings on my wii and it is set to use WEP security and the correct secuirty key is in place yet when the security is enabled on the router, my wii still wont work. It comes up with the error code 052130 which according to nintendo is a firewall issue. It will only work when the security is disabled.

I have tried both automatic and manual configuration but only the automatic one will work so I assume that means it isn't using any static ip's.

Nixy,
Did you use the WEP key similar to the one I posted previously? Or was it a set of numbers or a name/words that mean something to you?
Double check your router's settings that both B&G are available. ie 802.11b AND 802.11g ---->both. Also check that the router is on channel 1 or 11. Did you set the MTUs to 1492? Please list all relitive settings so we can help you. There are a lot of knowledgable people wanting to help you here.
PS don't give away your security keys or IP addresses.
Maximius is correct and spot on with his diagnosis.
Renron

Back