wireless security

evilroy

WiiChat Member
Jan 9, 2008
this may sound dumb ive got my wii working online with my netgear wireless router but cant get the security settings working to prevent hackers etc just wondered if anyone could help please but in simple terms as im no pc wizz kid thanks:scared:

the wireless security is somthing you set in the netgear itself not the wii, you need to open up the web page for the netgear
meaning open up a web browser on a computer that is connected to the router. in the address bar put in 192.168.0.1. that will open up a page for the netgear itself- you are literally looking inside your router. if it asks for a user name and password it is most likly username= admin and password= password

after that look around the web page for wireless security and look for where it asks for a wep key- from there you can usually enter a paraphrase and it will create the wep key for you.

once you set the wep key write it down, you will then need to go back to the wii and reconenct it to the router- it will ask for a password- enter the wepkey and it will then connect to the router

by creating the wepkey no one will be able to connect to your router unless you give them the wepkey and as for hackers and the such the router is already acting as a firewall against that

hope this wasn't to confusing, if it was let me know

Thank You

Thanks alot happyguy14 had been inside router just couldnt figure out settings for wep or any others but now thanks to you all is working fine.:smilewinkgrin: & am now secure cheers m8:thumbsup:

As a thought.. .. .. if your router supports WPA (if it's new it should) and there is no reason not to set it to WPA security (eg. you want to connect a DS) then WPA is much much more secure than WEP. WEP will stop the casual bandwidth theif but not a determined one.

is set up the same

it is wpa-psk compatable also wpa-802.x1 compatable is the set up for these the same as wep :scared: thanks for the feed back. captainff;) :thumbsup:

It should be a case of selecting the type of security on the router's settings and entering a password.. .. ..

As I said above, you need to make sure that all of your devices are WPA compatible.. .. I know for definite that the DS isn't.. .. .. and you'll be even safer!

Thank You

Wpa now on,& working thanks to everyone captainff & happyguy 14 much appreiciated:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :worship: :wink:
ps captainff how do you get your mii as your'e avtar thanks evilroy

Last edited:
one more suggstion (captainff brings up a good point also) but you will also want to change the dfault login of your router if you arleady havent, otherwise somone can get in to the router regardless of rather or not they have the wep key and do what ever they want with the router (including change the wepkey so you can't get connected to it anymore)

Thanks

Thanks for that happyguy14 will do just that:thumbsup: :idea: :worship:
but how

Last edited:
evilroy said:
ps captainff how do you get your mii as your'e avtar thanks evilroy

What I did was to use a video capture card to get the basic picture and then some image editing software to animate it.. .. .. ..

you're clever aren't you i wouldnt have a clue:yikes: :crazy: dont have the patience or the technology too do that, thanks for telling me how anyway.

evilroy said:
you're clever aren't you i wouldnt have a clue:yikes: :crazy: dont have the patience or the technology too do that, thanks for telling me how anyway.

You could get something very similar if you wanted to. . . . go to www.miieditor.com (it's the best online mii creator that I've seen) and recreate your Mii. Then screen grab the result. THEN, go to http://www.gimp.org/ and download their FREE software to be able to tidy and crop the image (or images if you want it animated).. .. ..

The result isn't quite the same, but it'll be close enough (and it's free to do!!)

evilroy said:
Thanks for that happyguy14 will do just that:thumbsup: :idea: :worship:
but how

go back into the router like you did to set the wep key and look for the login info for the router, it's wouldn't be in the wireless part of it. it should be on one of the first windows you look at. unfortunatly I can't be more specific witout looking at the menu's myself

Back