Wii Like Surgical Warm Ups

Foxy

Super Ninjarator
Apr 4, 2007
Wii Online Code
3881-9484-9041-5848
amyfvuiiws.jpg

In A recent article in new Scientist magazine it is revealed that surgeons perform better after a Wii session before the surgical proceeder.

In the past we've seen many occupations have an interest in consoles with the most notable being the Queen, Soldiers and some athletes.

It was also revealed that the researches set out to develop a surgical practise tool to use before operations. Trauma Center may be medical but it's no real practise, how many doctors do you know how can draw a yellow star under skin and slow down time?!

The study was conducted by having Surgical students use a professional training tool known as proMIS however some played wii before hand and some didn't. The results were clear and obvious as the Wii group scored 48% better tool control and performance than those who didn't.

Now Dr. Kanav Kahol and Dr. Marshall Smith, of the Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center in Phoenix, Arizona, now want to go and create a Wii software title that students and surgeons could use to train at home. It was also noted that countries that can't afford expensive training tools may also be able to get their hands on this Wii software.

In the original article Trauma Center wasn't mentioned at all. Maybe they played it and did not mention or maybe they just skipped on the title. One title which perked interest was Marble Mania due to it requiring precise hand movements and focus.

"The whole point about surgery is to execute small, finely controlled movements with your hands, and that is exactly what you get playing Wii," said Dr. Kahol to New Scientist Magazine. He also stated "You don't gain a lot from swinging an imaginary tennis racket."

It is widely expected that full results at the 'Medicine Meets Virtual reality conference' in California later this month.

Reported and Written by; Cpt.McCloud

Original Article

this just shows how the wii is THE next-gen console! you don't see any of this interactivity happening with the 360 or ps3....it's great to see nintendo doing this sort of thing. =)

A warm-up to walk you through the procedure, sure. I don't see how this can improve anyones tool skill though because the Wii is more used as a pointer than a scalpel or bone-saw.

LOL. If a surgeon used a Wii to practice, then I certainly don't want him ever touching me if I needed surgery. I've been an OR nurse for 18 years. Trust me, waving a Wiimote is nothing like the fine motor skills used to dissect tissue with a scalpal & specialized instruments. Nor like having the precise sense of touch & palpation when you're forearm deep in someones open incision .

Though with the newer medical technology, it might help with the Robotic surgical procedures that some ORs are starting to do. This is where the surgeon operates seperate manual controls that moves the arms on robotic like machines that are working inside the patient's body.

It's not about using a game like Trauma Center to learn how to be a surgeon it's more about stimulation of the mind and to focus on steady hand movements.

I think it would be awesome if in the future Nintendo could incorporate some sort of "glove" device with the Wiimote. Each finger of the glove would be recognized when making a grasping or finger extension motion. Imagine the possibilites with such a device.

laurie_lu said:
I think it would be awesome if in the future Nintendo could incorporate some sort of "glove" device with the Wiimote. Each finger of the glove would be recognized when making a grasping or finger extension motion. Imagine the possibilites with such a device.

I can but it is sort of killing off gaming in my view, sure it's advanced and incorporates you but it just isn't the same.

The same argument could be made with the wii but I think it didn't go to far with its scheme.

You don't want to make it too realistic, that'd be like CSI showing you more than just some of the tricks on catching criminals. Anything too descriptive or real might convince people they actually can do it.

261311 said:
You don't want to make it too realistic, that'd be like CSI showing you more than just some of the tricks on catching criminals. Anything too descriptive or real might convince people they actually can do it.

I think the software being developed will be only available for the medical profession as professional software rather than a retailed game.

AoWFraggit said:
this just shows how the wii is THE next-gen console! you don't see any of this interactivity happening with the 360 or ps3....it's great to see nintendo doing this sort of thing. =)
america's army? oO

well, this is a cool thing and id like to see it actually developed.

ok this made me sick.

practicing for real patients with trauma center? a wii mote is considerably larger and more blunt than a scalple or any other surgeons tool. i dont want him operating on me. lol

SensesFail said:
ok this made me sick.

practicing for real patients with trauma center? a wii mote is considerably larger and more blunt than a scalple or any other surgeons tool. i dont want him operating on me. lol

No, They didn't use trauma center or real patients.

They mentioned games such as marble madness, to stimulate the mind focus and precise hand movements then the trainees used a professional software device used to test trainees (not a wii game..an actual appliance).

It was just a study as well, please read and think before posting.

Yeah, I read about this a few days ago and I was actually smiling on the inside after reading it. The Wii is not only a games console, it also plays a part in the survival of the human race. :lol:

Back