Wii-mote not as advanced as previously thought?

flimbabulous

WiiChat Member
Oct 8, 2006
The Wii might not actually be able to detect the remote's exact location and orientation in 3D space. I'm not sure if Nintendo actually made the claim that it could, but that's certainly what I was led to believe.

Then again you'd need an extra sensor or two placed on the body somewhere to give the wii an idea of where the controller was in relation to the rest of your body. Unless it assumed your arm was in a specified position in relation to the rest of your body most of the time.

Oh well. I think they might've taken the best route for the goal they had in mind.

(If this has already been discussed please excuse me)

http://www.x-arcade.com/newsletter/Wii Dupe.shtml

Hmm... Yes, that fear has been in the back of my mind for a while now. But I'll just wait for someone to come here and present evidence that it is as advanced as I've lead to believe. xP

it does not detect exactly were it is in 3d space for most games, it only detects where it is moved to from a reference point, but with the Ir and motion sensing put together correctly it can tell were it is based on quite a few reference points, but really wouldn't be worth the programming time.

Hopefully now that the idea's out there somebody will pick it up and do something with it.

No it's like this.
Say your Wiimote is where it is, when you move it like forward, it will know you moved it forward. Thats what they mean by 3D space.

i can take a safe guess that the news letter there was made sometime in may...so since then they probly changed a few things added a few things to the wiimote...

I am not saying that the Wii will not be awesome, I still believe that Nintedo will win this console war. But it seems clear to me that the Wiimote cannot 'detect its exact location and orientation in 3D space' with 'pixel-perfect accuracy' with the technology it was using at E3. Perhaps it still will. Gamers like me want to know what the Wii will and won't be able to do.

In an interview with IGN, Perrin Kaplan was asked (4 minutes in) "Are we gonna see more hardware surprises, are you still hiding stuff?" to which she answered "YES! next question". Matt - "Still hiding stuff? Why are we still not seeing all of the hardware features?"

So by now things may have changed, but i can't be 100% sure on that and even so its what he says it is...dosn't matter it will still be great

Hmm, I thought it was fairly obvious what Nintendo ment. Regardless of anybody saying anything about the Wii, or Nintendo in general, I'll continue to be a fanboy. My experience with the Wii was the most entertainment I've had since DDR, and I'm super excited about it.

Don't base your judegement off of what one person says.

Back