Wii need your input!

Phantoms

WiiChat Member
Feb 14, 2008
Hi

We are three design students from oslo, norway, who are building the next generation of the nintendo wii browser.

But we need your input to do it. So please take time to answer these three questions

1. What do you dislike the most about the current browser?
2. How do you compare it to a desktop browser?
3. What could improve the interaction?

Just write a few word, and if you add some pictures to your answer it would be much appreciated. Maybe even a nice picture made in ms paint?

Thanks a bunch!

well I'm not in the mood for pics but
#1 you need to be able to download stuff off it like a newer version of flash player or something to that effect
#2 comped to a desktop i don't find all that much wrong with it bar the whole click to type thing but they have key boards for that... apart from that the whole zoom in on anything rules...
#3 maybe give the option of using the nunchuck to move the pointer around when i browse for a while and have to point to click it does get annoying and I'm sure some weaker people would strain their arms

only other thing i can think of is just a faster download speed and access to all sites...

1.That it doesnt support 720p. Couldnt atleast THIS and the main menu be in 720p?

2. Not as feature rich as a desktop browser, but it never will be. So I'd say its satisfactory, but only to compliment a 'proper' internet experience.

3.Make buttons for 'copy' and paste'. (eg. 1+2 and click and drag to copy, then push 1+2 to paste into a text box).
and update the Java etc, so the browser can play more media files.
I hardly use the browser, but when I do these are my biggest annoyances.

Phantoms said:
We are three design students from oslo, norway, who are building the next generation of the nintendo wii browser.

How do you intend on running and distributing this? It would need to be licensed by Nintendo. Would this be something intended for distribution through Wii Ware?

toomstone said:
well I'm not in the mood for pics but
#1 you need to be able to download stuff off it like a newer version of flash player or something to that effect

The Flash version is limited by what Adobe has released in their Flash SDK for embedded browsers.

Deanis said:
1.That it doesnt support 720p. Couldnt atleast THIS and the main menu be in 720p?

The Wii doesn't output anything higher than 480p so no software running on it will be able to go beyond that.

There is no reason why not thugh surely? Some XBox games ran 720p from memory, and Wii is as poweful, if not slightly more powerful than that...

Deanis said:
There is no reason why not thugh surely? Some XBox games ran 720p from memory, and Wii is as poweful, if not slightly more powerful than that...

If the video chip can only output 480 lines max then there's nothing much you can do about it.

Phantoms said:
Hi

But we need your input to do it. So please take time to answer these three questions

1. What do you dislike the most about the current browser?
2. How do you compare it to a desktop browser?
3. What could improve the interaction?

Just write a few word, and if you add some pictures to your answer it would be much appreciated. Maybe even a nice picture made in ms paint?

Thanks a bunch!
1. We need better tabbed browsing, and java.
2. Terrible. I hate the sound effects of it.
3. More support for multimedia formats, ability to save pictures.

EDIT:
This is a limitation of the hardware, not the software.

Last edited:
  • Stay Current on flash.
  • Offer 2 different views for users with CRT televisions and those those with 480p
  • improve flash video playbacks
    • i find the wii to play videos a bit jerky and grainy
  • Allow the remote to go into sleep mode while using browser.
    • the most use i get on the opera browser is watching tv shows
    • the remote never goes to sleep when idle and i can drain batteries quickly

Allow keyboards to tab between fields so you can use the browser without the necessity of the wiimote to click ok or enter every time you type something.

idjut said:
  • Stay Current on flash.

• Again, this is limited by Adobe. No developer can do anything about other than pleading with Adobe.

[*] Offer 2 different views for users with CRT televisions and those those with 480p

Many CRT TV's can display 480p.

[*] Allow the remote to go into sleep mode while using browser.

• Agreed.

Deanis said:
      Added keyboard functionailty will probably do...

The current Wii browser already has keyboard functionality.

1. like most people already said, add newest flash
2. its cool in the sense u can point and click, but its not as fast
3. the only way to improve it is improving the wii itself....(which is imposible to do unless you are nintendo)

1. Not being able to have more than one window open at once.

2. It doesn't really compare to a desktop browser.

3. Being able to open more than one window.

Back