Wii newby - getting online and creating account

ccorr

WiiChat Member
Sep 16, 2007
I finally bought a Wii last night. I don't have a wireless router, and forgot to buy one of those Nintendo USB wireless router, so I'm heading out to buy one in a few minutes here. I did buy 2000 Wii points though.

When I get home, assuming I can get online, how do I start buying games (I'm too lazy to read the instruction books that came with the Wii, that's why I'm posting here). I assume there's somewhere on Nintendo.com I go to create an account?

Thanks for your help. Hopefully someone will have posted here by the time I get home.

Is my Wii online?

No. Like I said, I forgot to by a USB adapter, so I'm on my way out to buy one right now. Hopefully I'll be online in a few hours. Then do I go to nintendo.com to create an account?

I don't think you need an account to buy games. I haven't gotten any. My guess is that there is a number on the card and it puts that 2000 points onto your already made account.

Well after you get online, you'll most likely get a message saying do you want to perform a wii system update? Answer yes, and wait. After that go to the wii main menu, and click on the wii shop channel in the upper right hand corner. Once there click start on the bottom you can scroll through the genre of games. There are two places to go, Wiiware-channels for your wii. And virtual console-the one with all the games. I recomend going to wii ware first. There download everybody votes channel and internet browser(if you wish). And in the virtual console, you could go to either popular titels or search by category. And the rest i'm pretty sure you can figure out. PM if you need any help. And click on the little green mushroom if I helped you in any way.

I bought a USB adapter and was able to get online. At first I got errors trying to connect to the internet. I discovered that I have to turn off my McAfee firewall to get online (unless someone else knows a way to connect without turning it off completely?).

What sucks is that I bought component cables from Nintendo way back in Nov. '06 (in ancicipation of being able to get a Wii right away), but now I don't know what I did with them. I've looked all over and can't find them. Does anyone have any experience with the third party component cables they sell at Best Buy/Future Shop? I don't feel like waiting a week or however long it will take to buy cables from Nintendo again.

Back