Getting connected w/ a Mac w/o airport

shootermcgee

WiiChat Member
Dec 19, 2006
Boston, MA
I just got my Wii the other day and and itching to get online and download some VC games. Right now my computer is a Imac without an airport card or airport base, It's hardwired with an ethernet cable. Now can I just buy a wireless router from Best buy and hook it up to my current internet connection to start getting online with the Wii? All these routers I see seem to be only for PC's, not Mac's. (Not keen on dropping 200+ to install an airport card and airport express, but I will if I have to) I'm not going to be using it for the computer but I'm reading about all these firmware updates and I assume that you would have to do that via the computer right? Any thoughts and help would be appreciated, want to play mario64!

It shouldn't be a problem. If you want to make it easier, get a wireless router which has some ethernet ports (most have as far as I'm aware) and you can still have the wired connection to the mac. I have a linksys and it works no problem with macs (except, I need to use something other than safari to access the interface, to configure it.) The firmware upgrades for my router also only require you to have the files on a local machine so it can access them. If you have any questions on what will or won't work, check the apple discussions forums at http://discussions.info.apple.com

lars said:
It shouldn't be a problem. If you want to make it easier, get a wireless router which has some ethernet ports (most have as far as I'm aware) and you can still have the wired connection to the mac. I have a linksys and it works no problem with macs (except, I need to use something other than safari to access the interface, to configure it.) The firmware upgrades for my router also only require you to have the files on a local machine so it can access them. If you have any questions on what will or won't work, check the apple discussions forums at http://discussions.info.apple.com

dudes........its called the nintendo Wi-Fi USB MAX adaptor. If you have a USB port, it will work.

And speaking of macs, I have seen a progream that picks up the blue tooth on the wii mote and makes light saber sounds frm your computer when you swing it. Trying playing zelda near you Mac with that mod on there. it is SOO cool. I wil try to figure out how my friend did it.

The Nintendo USB adapter is not compatible with Macs.

Are you sure those routers wouldn't work with a mac?
I have 2 PCs wired, one PC laptop wireless, and two Apple Laptop wireless on my router and everything works fine.

Back