Online with a Mac

Now I put in my IP addy in manually and my DNS as well. Now I'm getting error code 51331 Unable to connect to the internet. Choose Internet settings and then confirm your connection. Visit Wiichat.com for assistance. lol

Help!!!! What next? I don't understand how anyone is getting this to work. but I want mine to work. The Wii is only half as fun offline. I'm getting frustrated and I think I did what everyone else has. Did I miss something?
:mad2:

Are you then putting into the wii your computer's IP addy as Default Router under advanced settings, as well as set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help, I think I'm getting there!!

I've found my IP, Subnet and default router address in my system preferences

The primary and secondary DNS were on my broadband providers website help bit

I put all this info into the Wii manually but still I'm getting an error message

Has anybody else got the Wii to connect in this way?

Anybody know what to try next?

Getting a bit further!!

Terminal window!! never heard of one of those before but did a bit of research found it and some more info.

For those who are trying to do the same as me this is what I'm going to try next.

to find the IP type in ifconfig en1 into the terminal window - the number between inet and netmask is the IP mine is 10.0.2.1
Subnet is 255.255.255.0
Default router this is from my system preferences>network>TCP/IP bit
DNS found this by entering cat /etc/resolv.conf (thanks Mark OTVII)

I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes!

If anybody else has got it to work please let me know how

I left the bloody subnet mask blank b/c I wasn't paying attention. but thanks for the reminder. I will try this when I get home. i'm back to monitoring threads by treo lol. but sweet thanks. trying this as soon as I get home.

No prob Claira - not many people spend their days configuring static IPs on video game consoles. I'm a bit surprised Nintendo didn't make this a bit more straightforward, but oh well.

Just keep posting your errors as they pop up and we'll get it online in no time.

So has anyone with a Mac gotten things working yet?

I'm curious to know as I'm writing an idiot's guide to turning your computer into a router so you can get your Wii online without buying any unnecessary equipment.

Still no luck

But still a few more things to try - I haven't tried all the different channels yet and I think the Mac may be too far away from the Wii

The Wii is downstairs in the lounge and the Mac is upstairs in a bedroom

Also, I have a bit more info. I emailed my Broadband supplier support team who replied here is their reply if it helps anybody.

"Thank you for contacting Madasafish Technical Support.

In regards to your query, to manually enter the settings for the Nintendo Wii using wireless you need to click on 'System Preferences' icon on your dock bar. The 'System Preferences' window will open, click on the 'Network' icon. The 'Network' window will open, for the Location, please select Automatic. For Show, please select Airport. Click on TCP/IP.

The following settings should apply under the TCP/IP tab:
1. Configure IPv4: Using DHCP
2. DNS Servers:- Primary DNS Server: 80.189.94.2
Secondary DNS Server: 80.189.92.2

Click on the 'Apply Now' button. Once you click on the 'Apply Now' button you should get an IP Address, Subnet Mask and Router address.
The Subnet Mask is usually 255.255.255.0 and the Router address for the BT Voyager 2110 router is 192.168.1.1

Unfortunately, we are not familiar with all of settings of the Nintendo Wii, but I have given you the basic settings support that you required for it. I hope this helps you.

If you require any further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Tammy
Madasafish Technical Support"

Most likely.
The Wii isn't just for PC use. It will connect to anything with a WiFi attachment so I don't see why not.

You'll just have to fool around with it a bit.

Ok Claira,

So you've got your computer configured as a router it seems, with the router IP being 192.168.1.1

Now you just need to enter a static IP in the Wii setup, be sure to pick an address that isn't in use by another machine on your network, something random like 192.168.1.111, set your subnet mask, and default gateway/router as 192.168.1.1

That should do it. Send whatever error code you get if that doesn't work.

I have a mac and this is how I access the net. Got my wii launch day and was tripping. Do a search on google for setting up your mac wireless sharing with a DS, that's what I ended up doing on a hunch and the directions are exactly the same except one term is called something else, very similar, you'll notice it right away

Back