Online with a Mac

Claira

Claira
Feb 21, 2007
UK
I have got a Mac G5 with a built in Airport Extreme card. My mac is connected to broadband via the ethernet.

Can I use the airport card to connect the Wii to go online if my mac is on and the broadband is connected?

If so how do I do it? If not how do I do it?

Do I need an Airport Express thingy - its all so confusing!!

Any help I would really appreciate :wtf:

gotta make sure your computer is set up to give out ip address via dhcp. don't know much about mac, but it should be easy to turn your comp into a "router" to do what you want... if you're using osx you're in luck since its BSD under the hood - read about bridging connections on BSD os and open a terminal window. I don't remember the exact syntax of the command but it's basically "bridge eth0 eth1 bridge1" and then setup dhcp.

if none of that made any sense don't try it, you might screw up something.
if you know any unix and are using a mac with osx and above, this should be easy as hell since its basically unix with a pretty GUI.

pretty much what the other two said, set up your wireless card to transmitt rather than recieve (I think it's ad hoc mode) set up DHCP to assign IP addresses and see if it is possible to run your MAC as a router, then you can use your MAC as your wireless access point for your Wii and for other wireless devices, the funny thing is i'm trying the same thing on Win98 on an IBM, I haven't worked on it reciently due to a video driver problem

Thanks Guys that really helped.

I went to System preferences > sharing>internet

Share from - built in ethernet

to computers using airport went to airport options to give it a name etc

and then clicked on internet sharing start

The Wii is picking up the wireless connection, however it is giving an error message

I will do a bit more research and let you know how I get on

Think I've got 1 step closer to going online

I need to manually input the IP and DNS info on the settings

I know how to do this but what do I put in

Any help would be appreciated

Claira said:

Ummmm I don't know my way around a Mac enough to tell you where to find DNS settings - those are set by your ISP.

You should be able to give the Wii a static IP address of your own choosing in the 192.168.x.x range, tell it the dns info once you find it, and voila.

Any Mac users know where dns info is located?

Found my IP

it is in System preferences>Network> TCP/IP

It is a 192.168.x.x number so I will try that

Info on another forum said to use 10.0.2.1 as the primary DNS and 10.0.2.11 on the secondary DNS

If anybody else is trying to do the same thing hopefully this will help you

I will give it a whirl and let you know if it works

Thanks guys

Claira said:
Info on another forum said to use 10.0.2.1 as the primary DNS and 10.0.2.11 on the secondary DNS

Addresses for DNS are specific to *your* service provider.

10.0.x.x is a private range like 192.168.x.x and not what you want to use.

Open up a terminal window (if you're using OSX) and type the following into the command line:

cat /etc/resolv.conf

that should spit out your dns info.

see I got stuck there. didn't know about the dns. I'm stuck at work for another 7 hours. so I'm monitoring this tread by my treo. So if you get it to work before I ger home and try it let me know what you did. I work for Sprint so I get their wireless aircard for super cheap so I really need this to work. it would save me atleast 50 bucks a month (a whole wii game? I think so!) So any help from anyone else would be phenominal as well.

Claira said:

Well, your Wii and MAC found each other, wcich is a good thing, I guess you should tinker around until you find something

With mine, I could not firgure out how to connect it for a long time. I have a mac as well with the airport. It ended up I needed this special code thing that works for the airport. If you still can't figure it out, then just ask me, and I will see what code I had to put in.

Before I had the code in, the wii could find my wireless connection and stuff, but when it would do the connection test, it came up with an error code.

I put the DNS in... but that was all. and I got error code: 52031 Unable to connect to the internet. Please see the Wii Operations Manual or visit support.nintendo.com (or wiichat.com!!) for assistance

Back