Internet sharring on a mac

tank

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Nov 26, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
One for the computer geeks out there ^_^

So I go to college at the University of Pittsburgh. I love it here but there is one problem. All our internet uses 802.1x authentication. Two major problems with that are consoles can't connect and we can't use routers, they will know cause they can trace the packets. If they detect your using a router the connection will shut off.

So my brother told me about internet sharing with my Mac via airport. You can share your ethernet connection over airport and connect to it. Obviously that takes care of the authentication problems cause Macs have 802.1x built in. But for some reason I can't get it to work. I goto the sharing panel and set up to share from built in ethernet, over airport. When I try to set up a connection it can't find any in range. I also tried it manualy and that didn't work either.

Anyone else happen to use this method of connection? How did you get yours to work?

tank said:
One for the computer geeks out there ^_^

So I go to college at the University of Pittsburgh. I love it here but there is one problem. All our internet uses 802.1x authentication. Two major problems with that are consoles can't connect and we can't use routers, they will know cause they can trace the packets. If they detect your using a router the connection will shut off.

So my brother told me about internet sharing with my Mac via airport. You can share your ethernet connection over airport and connect to it. Obviously that takes care of the authentication problems cause Macs have 802.1x built in. But for some reason I can't get it to work. I goto the sharing panel and set up to share from built in ethernet, over airport. When I try to set up a connection it can't find any in range. I also tried it manualy and that didn't work either.

Anyone else happen to use this method of connection? How did you get yours to work?

Tank, I have a Macbook and your question peaks my interest, I will investigate this and see if I can find a solution for you. However, I think it might be something that Apple might need to update the OS for. I don't remember seeing very many control options for it.

I'll get back to you on this.

Yeah I was thinking about doing that. But If I can manage to not have to buy any new hardware I'm not going to. I'm usually good with trouble-shooting this kind of stuff, or if I can't figure it out I get my computer engineer brother to help me. But we're both stuck. I may just end up giving in and buying an adapter, besides there is an EB within walking distance (about 2 or 3 city blocks) from my dorm building.

hmm, I didn't notice that. My comp is a PC, but I definately wouldn't have suggested that if I had noticed that. Sorry about that. Im sure a comparable piece exists for the Mac. I mean anything that puts out the 802.11G/802.11B signal would work I would suppose. I mean Nintendo can't be the only makers of a Wi-Fi USB connector thingy. I would bet the farm theres a Mac one out there somewhere.

I tested internet sharing on my MacBook Pro. Well, I wasn't connected to the internet at that point, but I tested connecting to the computer made wireless network. The Wii found it just fine. Was this the part that didn't work for you, or were you unable to get the internet to work after being connected?

Maybe I didn't set it up right. I selected to share from built in ethernet from the drop down menu, then checked to computers using airport from the window.

does that mean that it takes the connection from the built in ethernet and broadcasts it over airport for other things to connect to, or the other way around?

you would have to have 2 nics in the mac, one for an incoming wired connection to your laptop, and a wireless nic so it can act as a wireless access point.

Network interface card....right.

I thought the the whole point was that it uses teh airport card built in to broadcast a signal.

Tank, it sounds like you are setting it up correctly. Do you ever use the airport to connect to a wireless network on campus. That would verify that it is working okay. Also, make sure that you have the airport turned on. Have you clicked on the "Airport Options..." button and looked at what's there? In there you can specific the name of the network and security options.

Last edited:
tank said:
Network interface card....right.

I thought the the whole point was that it uses teh airport card built in to broadcast a signal.

I thought you were trying to use your mac computer as an access point.

If you have an airport just plug the cat5 into it and the wii should detect it.

Back