Wii Online FAQ

registerednerd

Wii online moderator
Jun 1, 2006
Missouri, United States
Wii Online FAQ READ BEFORE POSTING

There seem to be some common questions comming up. So that we don't have to keep posting the same threads over and over again, here are a few of the questions that get posted a lot.

Q: Are the online services for Wii free?
A: Yes. The weather and news channels as well as WiiConnect 24 are free. Online play will also be free once it is released next year. The Opera browser will be a one-time fee, then the service is free (as of Dec. 22, Opera is available on a a trial basis for free). The shop channel is free to access, but you will have to purchase Wii points if you plan on buying anything.

Q: What does exchanging friend codes do?
A: By exchanging friend codes with another Wii owner, you can send messages, pictures, and Mii's to one another. Any Mii's that you have set to mingle can also travel to your friends' Wii's while yours is in standby. Friend codes can also be exchanged for games with the Nintendo WiFi logo on the case to play online.

Q: How do I find my friend code, and how do I add someone else's?
A: To find your own friend code, go to the main Wii Channels menu, then click the envelope in the lower right-hand corner. Next, click the "new message" button (the page icon in the lower left). Once you are there, click the address book (on the far right). Your friend code is displayed on the front cover. If you already have codes entered, press the - button on the Wiimote to flip back. To add someone's friend code, while in the address book, click "register" in the lower right. You can then choose to add either a Wii friend code or an email address.

Q: Can I add friends from overseas?
A: Yes, any Wii will recognise any Wii friend code. Wii uses a code system very similar to the DS (except that the code is generated by the system instead of the game). Some games had a feature that allowed you to see what region friends were from, but this has yet to be seen with Wii.

Q: What is my Wii usernme? Is it the same as the Wii Console Nickname?
A: Yes, they are one and the same, but what you enter for someone else's console name doesn't have to match what they entered on their Wii. It will work either way.

Q: How do I know if someone has added my friend code?
A: If you have not entered their friend code, you don't. This is for privacy reasons, both people have to enter each other's code. If you have added their code already, a few minutes after they add you, their name will turn from grey to black in your address book.

Q: What does the Wii username do?
A: As far as I can tell, nothing. The username you enter for friends does not have to match what they entered on their Wii.

Q: What do I need to do to recieve email to my Wii?
A: Follow the directions above to get to add a friend code, when you are asked for "Wii" or "other," chose other. You can then enter a friend's email address. They will be sent a message saying that their email was entered into a Wii, and to reply to confirm. They can simply click "reply" and send you anything. Their email is now registered in your Wii. You can only recieve emails from registered addresses. Your Wii's email is w[friend code, no dashes]@wii.com. IE: my Wii email is [email protected]

Q: What do I need to connect my Wii to the internet?
A: There are several options. You can use either a wireless router (must be B/G compatible), a Nintendo Ethernet adapter, Nintendo USB WiFi adpter (the same one as for the DS), or a similar adapter (such as WiFiMAX). Read the instruction manual for your device for more specific directions. Also check out the "Wii Official Wireless Internet Connection Guide" thread for more information on the Wii-end of things.

Q: Why has my post been deleted from the "Share Friend Codes Here" thread?
A: Only posts that actually contain a friend code are kept. Please do not post people you have added or other conversations there, they will be deleted. Use the PM system (new members must make at least 5 posts before they can PM). Literally hundreds of posts have been deleted for not staying on topic. Nobody wants to waid through your conversation just to find friend codes.
To PM: Click the person's username in the left-hand column, then click "Private Message this user". From there, it works just like email.

Comment if you feel I have forgotten anything.​

Last edited:
if the Wii is shared by 2 or 3 users in one household can they all have Mii's for multiplayer etc

lionman said:
if the Wii is shared by 2 or 3 users in one household can they all have Mii's for multiplayer etc

Yes, I have read that you can have up to 100 Miis, But I have not confirmed this. I currently have about 20 between the ones I have made and ones sent to me by other Wii Friends.

-Bobby

is there anything more or less concrete about Opera's release date?..

i heard december, is this confirmed?

xpirate77 said:
is there anything more or less concrete about Opera's release date?..

i heard december, is this confirmed?
The Nintendo site just says "Comming Soon," but the dates are listed for weather and news channels, so no.

Hi Im trying to Register but where do I find the numbers I have to enter?

JerrodDRagon said:
Hi Im trying to Register but where do I find the numbers I have to enter?
Register your Wii with Nintendo or registering friends? For the Wii, the serial number is on the bottom (starts with LU). Friend codes you can get from the friend code exchange thread or people's sigs. Just make sure to let them know you added them (via email or PM, please not on the forum), so they can add you back.

registerednerd said:
Register your Wii with Nintendo or registering friends? For the Wii, the serial number is on the bottom (starts with LU). Friend codes you can get from the friend code exchange thread or people's sigs. Just make sure to let them know you added them (via email or PM, please not on the forum), so they can add you back.
So to get new friends I go and Register there friend code?
EDIT: SO I just added some one to my address book and he said he added me to his, how long does it take for us to send messages? Or do we have to do something else too?

Last edited:
JerrodDRagon said:
So to get new friends I go and Register there friend code?
EDIT: SO I just added some one to my address book and he said he added me to his, how long does it take for us to send messages? Or do we have to do something else too?
You don't have to do anything else. It takes a few minutes for the addition to go through. For my email, it only took about 10 minutes, but I have no clue how long it takes for another Wii.

registerednerd said:
You don't have to do anything else. It takes a few minutes for the addition to go through. For my email, it only took about 10 minutes, but I have no clue how long it takes for another Wii.
Ok, its all set up now I can send messanges.
And thank you for all your help.

quick question: Does the nintendo Wi-Fi connector or "adaptor" that works on the ds will it also work on the Wii?

bananas123 said:
quick question: Does the nintendo Wi-Fi connector or "adaptor" that works on the ds will it also work on the Wii?
Yes, I use it and it works just as fast as using a router.

Hi, Can Anyone Tell Me How Much Or Approx. How Much The One-Off Payment For The Wii/Opera Internet Browser Is Please & How To Get It? Cheers elelamb :D

Anybody have idea how much the one-time fee will be for Opera? I hope it isn't too much.

Back