Wii turning itself off

ajs

WiiChat Member
Jan 7, 2007
Hiya,

apologies if this has been bought up before but couldn't see anything about this specific problem. I just set up my Wii this morning and have been using it all day however it keeps turning itself off! It's happened three times. The only thing I can think is that it's overheating but why would it do that? It's got plenty of room to breathe. It cuts out after being on for an hour, maybe hour & half tops. Anything I can do or has anyone else had the same problem...or have I just got a duff one!

Thanks for reading.

is it HOT when it turns off? it shouldnt be overheating, especially that fast.

Yes it is - not exactly burning or anything but certainly very very warm, much warmer than I would expect. Also the discs come out of the drive warm too.

This is probably a really stupid question but should it be completely silent? I was expecting there to be a bit of fan noise. There's none!

If theres no noise, then you probably have a faulty Wii which the Fans are broken or bugged. There should be a fan noise (and the loading/reading noises)

Thanks. I think that's probably it. It makes a noise when it's loading / reading games but is silent when it's not, even if I press my ear right up against it, can't hear a thing. Back to Nintendo I guess then :(

Ehhh now I'm confused :) I'll leave it alone for a while & see what happens!

They should ship you a new Wii if you ask, unless you tampered with it etc. The beeping/itching noises are normal, but when a game is in there should be the fan noise for sure.

:/

When on STANDBY tho, there is no fan. (red light)

Okay thanks. So just to clarify (bear with me here) - when it's on (green light) but there's no game in there...should there be a fan noise? Or does it only make a noise when you put a disc in?

Thanks for your responses guys...that's what mine does, just makes a noise when theres a game in. So I guess thats right. Will just see what happens now!

Are your Airways blocked by chance? Horizontal is the best airflow, you may want to try it.

Back