Wii *usually* doesnt connect to the internet?

Bluud

WiiChat Member
Dec 10, 2006
I am having problems connecting the Wii to the internet.

I have a Netgear DG834Gv2 router, and connect with my PC's, laptop and my DS flawlessly.

My new Wii usually comes up with an error saying cannot connect to the internet though. It has worked once or twice but now doesnt seem to work at all.

It connects fine to another belkin router that is unsecured nearby though..

The fact it worked once yesterday makes me think all settings must be correct so I am completely confused!

The signal strength on the access point list is always maximum so it cannot be that.

Anyone else have a netgear router? Help!

Bluud said:
are you sure about this?

Very. Same thing with Linksys.

I was using a netgear router that crapped out on me over a years time, kept resetting itself, and so I bought a brand new latest version linksys, and the wii wouldn't connect, until that is, I upgraded the firmware on the router.

I have had my linksys for about 3 years and never updated teh firmware (I know shame on me) but my wii doesnt have connection problems. Although updating your firmware could help the problem if all else fails.

It could also be having a problem if lets say you were using the default setting on your router and its connection was still callt default or linksys and lets say your neighbor did the same thing. If your wii was picking up different connections at different times it could deffinatly have connections problems, just a thought

no its got a WEP encryption and a unique SSID name.

I will try updating the firmware....

I've tried the 54g versions 3-6 and all of them wouldn't work until updated. Even the version 6 I am using now. Or the netgear I was using.

So it could very well be that.

Last edited:
i have upgraded the firmware and it STILL doesnt connect most of the time. I need to stress it works SOMETIMES (like about 1 in 15 tries)

I get this error code 51330:
Unable to connect to the internet. Choose settings and confirm your connection.

PLEASE can anyone tell me what else is required to get this to work. It connects to next door's unsecured wireless router fine!

Bluud said:
i have upgraded the firmware and it STILL doesnt connect most of the time. I need to stress it works SOMETIMES (like about 1 in 15 tries)

I get this error code 51330:
Unable to connect to the internet. Choose settings and confirm your connection.

PLEASE can anyone tell me what else is required to get this to work. It connects to next door's unsecured wireless router fine!

Take off your wep key. Or make sure in your router settings the key you typed into the wii is the key you have selected on the router.

And if you are using 128 bit, try 64 bit.

ok i restored factory defaults and re-setup my box with teh same SSID and WEP key it had before and now it works!!! :)

Maybe it was just the channel number as now its back on the default channel 11...

still strange though. Bad very happy now that it works!

Back