Wii's Firmware Updates

Deanis

Tip#67: Sell Your Wii
Nov 14, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Wii Online Code
4076-9395-0234-2025
Would it be possible for Nintendo or other 3rd party companies to release Firmware updates for games to give them mild tweaks? Eg. RED STEEL, where Ubisoft could release a firmware update to tighte nup the aiming setup so it was closer to Call of Duty 3's?
I'm considering it would be possible, perhaps the updates could be stored on the Wii's internal memory, and when a game was loaded up, these new settings would over-write the old stuff.
What do you guys think? Too much of a crazy idea?

Nope i think its very much a possibility and to some degree is happening now with the initial WiiConnect24 updates.

Im pretty sure downloadable updates is how they will enable the online play for CoD3 when it is announced.

I think it sounds very possible. All the Wii would need is a title and a list of what files are newer in memory than on the disc. If the game tries to load a certain file from disc the one in memory is loaded.

Of course this could lead to the potential for malicious software getting on that list and formatting the Wii....

i think its possible, and would be sweet if this could happen. hopefully if this does, and redsteel is enabled for online, we could download more multiplayer maps. etc. im sure companies could jsut releas patches like games on the ps3/ps2/xbox/360/pc all do.

Back