will a non-nintendo usb wireless adaptor work with internet connection sharing?

mrbarlow

WiiChat Member
Jan 6, 2007
Australia
im considering buying a Netgear WG111 USB Adapter because this website explains a way to make a usb wireless adaptor function as a wireless router by using internet connection sharing to make an ad-hoc network.

i have a wired internet connection from my router to my computer and i just want to share that connection to my Wii wirelessly. i am not going to completely replace a perfectly good wired network in my home with wireless just for my Wii. i just wanted to make sure that this method would work before i shell out $40 for the thing.

There is a nintendo USB Wi-fi connector that is compatible with Wii and official - it was made for DS but is compatible with Wii and you can probly find it cheaper hten that Netgear thing as its been out a long time and not even that many people know it works with Wii so arnt exactly rushing to the stores to get it.

yeh i know the nintendo one is the easiest way to go, but it'll probably be around $AU40 like the netgear dongle anyway (i could even get it for $AU30 new but as a sorta oem package, which doesn't seem to have a warranty), and the netgear dongle lets you connect to more things then just a Wii and DS. if i was to ever get a laptop it would be handy to not need to have two wireless dongles.

Hey if you have an intel mac with airport or i suppose a PC should work 2 then you can connect for free through that, i've just done it myself, it will save you all that money!

yea im using a pc and don't have airport. and the wireless routers start at around $AU50 in australia, and in that case i'll get the usb thing for $AU30. i'm definitely a tight arse with money.
i would of thought there would be more people that might of tried it this way, or know for a fact it won't work. it seems like the cheapest way to get it to work on a wired network without buying official nintendo accessories or that kinamax ethernet adaptor (can't use that because i have no free ports from my router and pcs).

Back