Would Nintendo Stop Making Consoles?

Pikachu256

KryKidd
Jun 21, 2007
Avondale, Arizona
Lets say the Nintendo Wii wasn't a major success and the Playstation 3 was a HUGE success like the PS2. Would Nintendo stop making consoles? Since they had a really unsuccessful Gamecube.

I think the would since they would lose billions of dollars =[

Do you think Nintendo would stop making consoles if the Wii was a failure?

I don't think that Nintendo would have completely abandoned the gaming industry, even if the the Wii was a failure. They have been making consoles since the dawn of time (in terms of gaming), so I think they would still have continued to do so for years to come.

I don't wreckon they would, they would loose more money if they did stop it aswell

Pikachu256 said:
Lets say the Nintendo Wii wasn't a major success and the Playstation 3 was a HUGE success like the PS2. Would Nintendo stop making consoles? Since they had a really unsuccessful Gamecube.

I think the would since they would lose billions of dollars =[

Do you think Nintendo would stop making consoles if the Wii was a failure?
No, I doubt Nintendo would have stopped. Even though the GameCube didn't have sales numbers in record amount however it still managed to pull a nice profit from it even in "3rd place". If the Wii didn't take off well at all, Nintendo has made a profit from every console sold, so even another poor sales run still would have kept Nintendo above water.

I believe Nintendo would have continued making consoles, using conservative means to prevent themselves from tripping and falling there face (like SEGA unfortunately did) by the insurance of profit even when the chips are down.

The REAL question would be now if we are going to see a PS4 after Sony has taken a great big bite in profit loss trying to launch there system and poor sales of the system show no signs of recovery.

The first step would be to just make handhelds if the standard consoles bombed horribly. After all, look what happened to Sega.

Nintendo would not be able to "pull a Sega" because there aren't any other consoles out there available for people to play the sorts of games that Nintendo would produce. The target customer base is not going to pay $400-600 for a console in order to play Mario.

MADHOUZE said:
Yeah, like Sega stoped making consoles after failing Dreamcast.
I wouldn't call the DreamCast a failure, as it was an awesome console. What failed was developer support and customer loyalty, while some stayed loyal the masses moved on, thus killing the DreamCast.

Basically what I gathered was SEGA tripped with the 32x/SEGA-CD, fell on it's face with the Saturn, and unable to pick themselves up after the DreamCast. The DreamCast's only flaw as stated was a lack of 3rd party developer support and loss of customer loyalty with the 32x/SEGA-CD/Saturn flop.

Since SEGA had invested a nice sum of cash into the development and productions of this hardware with a negative return, they had to decide to continue or simply drop out. SEGA licked it wounds and collected what was left of itself, and now is sticking with it's software.

-EDIT-
Nintendo didn't do so well during this transitional period either, as they too was experimenting with there own SNES-CD as well. This turned into a giant mess, and ended up spawning the Sony Playstation after Nintendo performed the taboo process of breaking up with a Japanese company and going with a European one instead. That obviously went sour too, however the Phillips CDi didn't take off like the Playstation did, but Phillips did manage to make a muck of out beloved Zelda in the process.

Last edited:
apparently the cd-i zelda games aren't that bad and I am considering getting them. it is a common misconception but actually only zeldas adventure is bad in fact the only bad zelda game so far.

personally I don't see nintendo having much of a problem afterall it has plenty of devout fans and is basically a superpower in japan. the wii is flourishing due to itscontroller and the fact its providing an alternative to the traditional method of playing games. nintendo's innovations will either ensure that eventually be the biggest of the three or that it will continue its success with few problems.

Redfield said:
the wii is flourishing due to itscontroller and the fact its providing an alternative to the traditional method of playing games.
I think the price is also a huge factor as to why the Wii is so popular right now. Not only are the games playable by the casual player, but the system can be purchased by the casual spender.

Nintendo would never stop making consoles..only when gaming is illegal..no chance on PS3 becoming better then PS3 thats for sure..but no, it will never happen..Nintendo is here to stay

Maybe in a world where all game companies are run perfect, Nintendo may give up. But in the real world full of greedy, cheap SOBs, I doubt Nintendo will ever leave. Their company is just run better than most. I wish more companies would copy their relaxed, free thinking work environment.

This question should be asked when Miyamoto retires.

With the success of the wii i doubt their hardware dept is going close up shop anytime soon.

Maybe in a world where all game companies are run perfect, Nintendo may give up. But in the real world full of greedy, cheap SOBs, I doubt Nintendo will ever leave. Their company is just run better than most. I wish more companies would copy their relaxed, free thinking work environment.

This question should be asked when Miyamoto retires.

You're kidding right? The company known for their "Nintendo Seal". Require developers to purchase carts in mass quantities. The fact that many developers jumped Nintendo ship when the N64 dropped because of Nintendos attitude of "Do it our way or develop elsewhere". The company that let Sony develop the Play Station SNES Addon - to say we want full rights exclusive and don't want to give you, sony, any control over anything.

Nintendo has made tons of mistakes and almost sealed their fate. Thankfully they have pulled through with the Gameboy/Nintendo DS to carry the poor sales of the N64 and Gamecube. The Wii is the product child of a company learning to fit in. Not a relaxed free-thinking company. If that was the case, it'd be called the Apple iWii.

Back