Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Would Nintendo Stop Making Consoles?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by Pikachu256, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Pikachu256

Pikachu256 KryKidd

Lets say the Nintendo Wii wasn't a major success and the Playstation 3 was a HUGE success like the PS2. Would Nintendo stop making consoles? Since they had a really unsuccessful Gamecube.

I think the would since they would lose billions of dollars =[

Do you think Nintendo would stop making consoles if the Wii was a failure?

2. Byuakuya

Byuakuya Bleach & Heroes fan.

I don't think that Nintendo would have completely abandoned the gaming industry, even if the the Wii was a failure. They have been making consoles since the dawn of time (in terms of gaming), so I think they would still have continued to do so for years to come.

3. bonodo

bonodo Wicked Hot Lush Lips

Wii Friend Code: 1262-1897-0166-8568
    1262-1897-0166-8568
    I don't wreckon they would, they would loose more money if they did stop it aswell

4. KrisKhaos

KrisKhaos Retro Gamer

Wii Friend Code: 2328-3260-7811-1534
    2328-3260-7811-1534
    No, I doubt Nintendo would have stopped. Even though the GameCube didn't have sales numbers in record amount however it still managed to pull a nice profit from it even in "3rd place". If the Wii didn't take off well at all, Nintendo has made a profit from every console sold, so even another poor sales run still would have kept Nintendo above water.

I believe Nintendo would have continued making consoles, using conservative means to prevent themselves from tripping and falling there face (like SEGA unfortunately did) by the insurance of profit even when the chips are down.

The REAL question would be now if we are going to see a PS4 after Sony has taken a great big bite in profit loss trying to launch there system and poor sales of the system show no signs of recovery.

5. Skippy

Skippy WiiChat Member

The first step would be to just make handhelds if the standard consoles bombed horribly. After all, look what happened to Sega.

6. sremick

sremick Got lifeboat?

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0000
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Nintendo would not be able to "pull a Sega" because there aren't any other consoles out there available for people to play the sorts of games that Nintendo would produce. The target customer base is not going to pay $400-600 for a console in order to play Mario.

7. MADHOUZE

MADHOUZE WiiChat Member

Yeah, like Sega stoped making consoles after failing Dreamcast.

8. KrisKhaos

KrisKhaos Retro Gamer

Wii Friend Code: 2328-3260-7811-1534
    2328-3260-7811-1534
    I wouldn't call the DreamCast a failure, as it was an awesome console. What failed was developer support and customer loyalty, while some stayed loyal the masses moved on, thus killing the DreamCast.

Basically what I gathered was SEGA tripped with the 32x/SEGA-CD, fell on it's face with the Saturn, and unable to pick themselves up after the DreamCast. The DreamCast's only flaw as stated was a lack of 3rd party developer support and loss of customer loyalty with the 32x/SEGA-CD/Saturn flop.

Since SEGA had invested a nice sum of cash into the development and productions of this hardware with a negative return, they had to decide to continue or simply drop out. SEGA licked it wounds and collected what was left of itself, and now is sticking with it's software.

-EDIT-
    Nintendo didn't do so well during this transitional period either, as they too was experimenting with there own SNES-CD as well. This turned into a giant mess, and ended up spawning the Sony Playstation after Nintendo performed the taboo process of breaking up with a Japanese company and going with a European one instead. That obviously went sour too, however the Phillips CDi didn't take off like the Playstation did, but Phillips did manage to make a muck of out beloved Zelda in the process.

#8 KrisKhaos, Oct 9, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  9. Redfield

Redfield S.T.A.R.S. member

Wii Friend Code: 3267-6243-1929-9218
    3267-6243-1929-9218
    apparently the cd-i zelda games aren't that bad and I am considering getting them. it is a common misconception but actually only zeldas adventure is bad in fact the only bad zelda game so far.

personally I don't see nintendo having much of a problem afterall it has plenty of devout fans and is basically a superpower in japan. the wii is flourishing due to itscontroller and the fact its providing an alternative to the traditional method of playing games. nintendo's innovations will either ensure that eventually be the biggest of the three or that it will continue its success with few problems.

10. sremick

sremick Got lifeboat?

0000-0000-0000-0000
    I think the price is also a huge factor as to why the Wii is so popular right now. Not only are the games playable by the casual player, but the system can be purchased by the casual spender.

11. Demon Slayer

Wii Friend Code: 4815-7837-6805-1378
    4815-7837-6805-1378
    Nintendo would never stop making consoles..only when gaming is illegal..no chance on PS3 becoming better then PS3 thats for sure..but no, it will never happen..Nintendo is here to stay

12. sagema

sagema 3D Artist

Wii Friend Code: 4496-9128-1304-3457
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    Maybe in a world where all game companies are run perfect, Nintendo may give up. But in the real world full of greedy, cheap SOBs, I doubt Nintendo will ever leave. Their company is just run better than most. I wish more companies would copy their relaxed, free thinking work environment.

This question should be asked when Miyamoto retires.

13. jwm2

jwm2 WiiChat Member

With the success of the wii i doubt their hardware dept is going close up shop anytime soon.

14. Wiizel

Wiizel WiiChat Member

You're kidding right? The company known for their "Nintendo Seal". Require developers to purchase carts in mass quantities. The fact that many developers jumped Nintendo ship when the N64 dropped because of Nintendos attitude of "Do it our way or develop elsewhere". The company that let Sony develop the Play Station SNES Addon - to say we want full rights exclusive and don't want to give you, sony, any control over anything.

Nintendo has made tons of mistakes and almost sealed their fate. Thankfully they have pulled through with the Gameboy/Nintendo DS to carry the poor sales of the N64 and Gamecube. The Wii is the product child of a company learning to fit in. Not a relaxed free-thinking company. If that was the case, it'd be called the Apple iWii.

15. Torchik

Torchik Woo! Sig Maker! ^_^

After all the years they've been in business, I don't think that they would end it because of that.

16. CantGetAWii

CantGetAWii WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 3099-0319-5478-2979
    3099-0319-5478-2979
    No.
    Mainly because the Wii was not much different from the cube in terms of power etc.

So it would be like the cube 2 all over again, and they would want to come back strong no doubt.

17. RivalDestiny

RivalDestiny WiiChat Member
    Staff Member

Wii Friend Code: 0409-5781-9484-0073
    0409-5781-9484-0073
    Your forgetting about the almighty DS, the Nintendo DS may even sell more then the PS2 in the upcoming years.

And Nintendo is a big company, I'm sure they would still make more consoles.

18. Trulen

Trulen Isn't here as much

Wii Friend Code: 1234-1234-1234-1234
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Yeah.

The handhelds is where Nintendo is really strong.
    Console gamers wouldn't know about it ;P

As far as the handheld industry goes, Nintendo owns it, hands down.
    The PSP is good, but does not have the same sales as the DS.

But I'd like to see the new handhelds' turnout.

See how Nintendo uses some innovation (because, playing Zelda... Wow. I've never seen a game use absolutely EVERY aspect (even the closing of the lid, which puts it into sleep mode!) of the DS) to beat out the new Sony handheld. Because we know Sony's gonna be churning out some powerful graphics.

19. 03breshi

03breshi WiiChat Member

Nintendo would never stop, they have too many ambitious Leaders who wont satop for anything, however I have always felt that Nintendo was always one step ahead by keeping gaming cartoony. Games are becoming very real for a huge audience but an even bigger audience is there wanting to have fun. Governments around the world are banning games for all consoles, but Nintendo always have the upper hand with the likes of Mario and Pokemon etc. It appeals to most of the family and with more and more children in the world interested in game systems the market is heading towards Nintendo.

yah!! lol

20. sremick

sremick Got lifeboat?

0000-0000-0000-0000
    I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a Zelda in the style of Assassin's Creed than I would the style of Ocarina of Time. I realize I'm in the minority, however. I'm 32 years old.