Your Applications and Utilities

I used to use pidgin, but it doesn't support voice chat, does it? Nor voice recordings, shared folders, or data transfers?

Brawny said:
I used to use pidgin, but it doesn't support voice chat, does it? Nor voice recordings, shared folders, or data transfers?

Data transfer is supported for "some" of the IM services.

I've got something called Visual Studio 2005 and it's taking up like 2GB!!

I think it has something to do with Flash.

And Oracle? Is that the same as google.

Very confusing.

nxcmp said:
Pidgin is just a cover over for the core applications true name, "GAIM". I like the old name better.
No it's not. Gaim changed its name to Pidgin due to AOL getting their panties in a knot. There is no part currently referred to as "Gaim" anymore, and Pidgin isn't a "wrapper".

[DT] said:
I've got something called Visual Studio 2005 and it's taking up like 2GB!!

I think it has something to do with Flash.

And Oracle? Is that the same as google.

Very confusing.
You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're kidding.

sremick said:
You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're kidding.

Oh wait, right, Oracle is a database. My buddy said I could use it to keep track of our DVD/HD library and that it would be better than Access.

PC Status and Information: Samurize

Security: Ad-Aware 2007, McAfee, Norton

Utilities: RocketDock, WinRAR, Bricopack, Thunderbird, Sonic DVD, Sharaza/ Limewire, CuteFTP

Browsers: Firefox

Audio, Video, IM: MSN/ Windows Live, Winamp, Windows Media Centre, Windows Media Player, Teamspeak,

Media Encoding: ImTOO, Wii Video 9.whateverthehellitisnow,

Documentation and Inventory: Wha?

[DT] said:
Oh wait, right, Oracle is a database. My buddy said I could use it to keep track of our DVD/HD library and that it would be better than Access.
Yes, and Visual Studio has nothing to do with Flash, and is of no use to you unless you're a software developer. If you actually needed VS, you'd know it.

261311 said:
Security: Ad-Aware 2007, McAfee, Norton
You run both? Are you nuts? Either one alone slows down your computer a ton compared to the competition while only detecting a fraction of the malware that they do. I would imagine running both would make a 3GHz machine feel like a 386.

sremick said:
Yes, and Visual Studio has nothing to do with Flash, and is of no use to you unless you're a software developer. If you actually needed VS, you'd know it.

:lol:

I joke of course.

I'm implementing projects on 10g for the DoD and Dept of State as we speak :)

[edit]

I thought I had mentioned this before. 3rd tech company, patents, large scale enterprise solutions, etc., etc. Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with Oracle and VS.

[edit #2]

Since some of the technically savvy folks are reading this thread. Anyone ever use a powerline network setup? I got the new[er] Netgear 200Mbps kit (two units) on Friday, took about 60 seconds to get it running. Router into the PL block, plug into the outlet - PL block on any other outlet, ethernet to machine, done. Auto sync/config - no drivers of course since it's just converting routed network packages in/out of the AC line.

It looks like I'm hitting the limiter on the 100Mbps internal network (and course easily peaking the external ~6Mbps). I've heard some consistency issues from house-to-house depending on how it's wired, age, etc., but it's outstanding here. Looks like the latency is a tad slower than a direct cable to the router, but much better than wireless. I had the want/need to have some equipment connected via wire, some sketchy areas to run cable, and the need to do this quickly, so it really fit the bill.

They also have units that have 4 ports (a mini switch w/ a filtered AC passthrough), and are WiFi access points (so you can get a solid wireless connection in a dead zone). Some people said they run super hot (not this brand specifically) - definitely very warm, about the same temp as my 1500VA UPS behind my desk.

Last edited:
Back