YouYube + AppleTV not good for nintendo!

ericlewis91

im McLovin
Dec 1, 2006
London,Ontario,Canada
Wii Online Code
6031-8713-1077-8188
Source 1

Link 1
I thought it was a little odd that the Apple press release concerning the YouTube addition to Apple TV stated that it would take weeks for all YouTube content to be made available on the Apple TV. iLounge got to the bottom of this slightly odd situation (or so it seemed without explanation). They spoke with Apple Vice President of Worldwide Mac Hardware Marketing David Moody who explained the delay. It would seem that all YouTube's videos are in the process of being converted to H.264, a codec that Apple TV supports. All new videos will be converted to H.264 as they are uploaded, but it will take some time to convert the back catalog.

Source 2
Link 2
YouTube: According to Moody, the YouTube update will take place in stages, beginning with the free software update for Apple TV owners in mid-June. At launch, “thousands of videos designed for Apple TV” will be available, with additional thousands added weekly until the entire YouTube library becomes accessible to Apple TV users this fall. When asked what “designed for Apple TV” meant, Moody said that YouTube will soon be encoding videos in the H.264 streaming-efficient compression format preferred by Apple TV, and that all new videos submitted to YouTube as of the mid-June launch of the AppleTV update will be playable by the device. From then until fall, YouTube will be encoding its entire back-catalog in H.264 format, adding videos in chunks until everything is accessible to Apple TV users. Direct links and the on-screen keyboard-based search engine mentioned in our previous update will bring you to current and old videos alike.

Well this is not good because the internet browser supports flash and then youtube is converting its catolog of videos by june to h.264 streaming which is not flash and will not work...this is why some videos dont work already on the wii...cause they are in this new encode...now what will nintendo do? will they upgrade the browser to support h264?

Last edited:
I think it means there will be a backend connection specifically optimized for AppleTV. Otherwise it would break compatibility with every other browser.

I bet the OSX86 forums would know more....

Edit: Rumors are apple pushed this hard to support the Iphone! Nothing comes for free so its also rumored that Apple gave youtube the help to change the backend storage of videos in order to save space on file servers.

I guess this was announced back in Janurary and we all missed it!
From an interview with the New York Times
Markoff: “Flash?”
Jobs: “Well, you might see that.”
Markoff: “What about YouTube–”
Jobs: “Yeah, YouTube—of course. But you don’t need to have Flash to show YouTube. All you need to do is deal with YouTube. And plus, we could get ‘em to up their video resolution at the same time, by using h.264 instead of the old codec.”

Last edited:
Back