Zelda Wii .... NOT!(?) IGN Interview with Eiji Aonuma and Miyamoto

Secumfex

Ninja? I'm a Pirate! Yarr
Jan 14, 2007
Wii Online Code
6205-5687-4726-5914
According to an interview of IGN with Eiji Aonuma and Shigeru Miyamoto, Twilight Princess could possibly be the last Zelda on the Wii. In fact, they didn't even start developing a new Zelda game, but they're pretty much still planning.
Here are some quotes:

Q: Supposing you do make another Wii Zelda game, are you hoping to have one-to-one sword control in the game?

A: Would you like that? We're still fleshing things out, so I'm more than happy to hear comments from everyone.

Q: Can you speculate at all about how many years it will take before the next Wii Zelda is out?

A: Actually, I've been speaking with Miyamoto about allowing developers enough time to creating something really quality. Just how long that takes depends on the project.

Q: Have you thought at all about setting the game in another setting?

A: I've thought about things like, "What if we sent Link to the contemporary world? How would he react? Or what if he was dropped into a WWII setting?" I've imagined all these ideas, but how these ideas might become a game, I still don't know yet.

and a few quotes from Aussie-Nintendo.com (dunno where Miyamoto is supposed to have said this)

Regardless, should a new Zelda game get the greenlight for Wii, it'll have to be something of quality again, Aonuma said. "I've been speaking with Miyamoto about allowing developers enough time to creating something really quality. Just how long that takes depends on the project," he explained.

Shigeru Miyamoto offered his thoughts, and said, "It's really hard to say because we've never had a Zelda that's appeared so early in the life cycle of the system, so it's definitely possible that there would be another Zelda on Wii. Of course, the challenge is that typically a Zelda game is something that takes three years to develop, so we'll just have to wait and see."

Of course, Zelda fans will have Phantom Hourglass in their hands on the Nintendo DS later this year, and the good news for the Big N is that it's been performing very well in Japan. "The Phantom Hourglass has been released in Japan and reception has been very, very positive," said Aonuma. "We've actually been able to receive feedback from the users and we'll definitely take all of those comments into consideration when creating the next Zelda, whether it be for Wii or DS."

Sources:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/804/804397p1.html
http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/?v=news&p=15203

So what do you think? Will there really be no Zelda Wii game? I think there will be a Zelda Wii title, every Nintendo Console with potential had it's own Zelda Title. And Zelda TP was a Gamecube game in the first place as mentioned more than once. But having to wait three more years? Patience... I need patience... ARGH!

Hold your horses, the console's not even a year old yet. I think it's almost certain that a Zelda game for Wii will eventually come out. Nintendo has released a Zelda game for every console they've made so far, why stop now? (remember, TP wasn't originally meant for the Wii).

but if you guys think about it this way

windwaker wasn't even released at the time the gamecube was released(right?.....i hope i am)

then they made twilight princess for it

if they made they made two games for gamecube, and windwaker wasn't even a launch title, then i believe they could do so for the wii

Napalmbrain said:
Hold your horses, the console's not even a year old yet. I think it's almost certain that a Zelda game for Wii will eventually come out. Nintendo has released a Zelda game for every console they've made so far, why stop now? (remember, TP wasn't originally meant for the Wii).

I agree, TP was also for the GC so it's not a complete Wii franchise. The Wii has only been out 1/5 of it's life span (I think) so imagine what's coming around in the future, a very good chance of a new Zelda game for Wii, possibly with online.

well all I know is if there isnt another Zelda Wii game Nintendo will definitely see people turning from them. But thats such a dissapointment! What happened to that little story about it being in development for more than a year! Im pretty sure Mr.Aonuma
was the only one thinking about it, while Miyamoto and everyone else was just working on Wii Fit.
What the hell happened to Miyamoto!? He makes one Zelda game that isnt a huge hit in Japan and just jumps to conclusion that nobody wants hardcore games anymore, they just want terrible games like Wii Play that have no depth to them what so ever! I bet the only hardcore game we're going to find from Miyamoto is Mario!
Ahh thats it im buying a 360....bastards!
Good luck to Mr. Aonuma though....at least someone understands there are still hardcore gamers that own a Wii.

Last edited:
Joe said:
well all I know is if there isnt another Zelda Wii game Nintendo will definitely see people turning from them. But thats such a dissapointment! What happened to that little story about it being in development for more than a year! Im pretty sure Mr.Aonuma
was the only one thinking about it, while Miyamoto and everyone else was working on Wii Fit.
What the hell happened to Miyamoto!? He makes one Zelda game that isnt a huge hit in Japan and just jumps to conclusion that nobody wants hardcore games anymore, they just want terrible games like Wii Play that have no depth to them what so ever! I bet the only hardcore game we're going to find from miyamoto is Mario!
Ahh that it im buying a 360....bastards!
Good luck to Mr. Aonuma though!

Most of your points are true, but don't you think you are jumping to a conclusion too quick? Miyamoto is focusing on all games right now that are scheduled for production in the near future, he doesn't want to worry himself with a game that won't be released for another year or two. He's putting his attention into WiiFit because they released it at E3, so customers are waiting. He wants to please them like any gaming company would want to please their customers. It's all strategy and planning you see.

I am sure there will be another Wii Zelda. He just made those comments as a safety net in case they happen to not get one out.

The huge problem I see is that there are more casual gamers that own a Wii then hardcore gamers and casual gamers are basically keeping Nintendo going right now. Most developers are going to create casual games for them because they obviously get more money aiming torwards casual gamers. Sure, there still going to be hardcore games, but they will definitely decrease as more and more casual gamers buy a Wii. Eventually most developers will create more and more casual games...which in the end drives off the hardcore gamers to the PS3 and 360. I fear then Nintendo will simply abandon Zelda because no casual gamer is going to buy it...and if it dose exist within that time, it just wont be the same Zelda we have always loved :( Its almost like a freaking war with those damn casual gamers...!
But that just one of my predictions....

Last edited:
well even though warioware sold more than tp in certain areas

tp sold more than warioware

warioware=casual
tp=hardcore

though you say more hardcore games are going to decrease, i disagree

my prediction is that wii(because of casual gamers) is going to have more sales

more sales=more developers interested
more developers interested=more software(for casual and hardcore)

with the wii zapper i'm hoping we'll get more fps's on the way

i just don't know what's going to happen of the metroid franchise, they said corruption was the last prime and what else can they do from there?

but i, personally am liking these casual games

i've never played casual games before and it's a change(just like the wii is)

so i'm probably going to buy my share of casual games too

but i'm sticking to my roots with any game that includes mario in it, starfox, etc.

plus miyamoto said he was interested in getting a kid icarus game done(but miyamoto says a lot of things) that would be interested to renew that franchise

and a new earthbound would be nice

sorry man but i think the wii's going to come out on top with plenty of hardcore games as well as casual games

sorry about rambling on

Well WarioWare isnt the only casual game. Wii Sports out sold Zelda by a lot! But in Japan Wii Sports isnt even bundled with the console and yet it still beat out Zelda. So thats what has Miyamoto very worried and which is also why we are going to see a lot more games like Wii Sports. I myself truly wouldnt mind if they added something that motivates the player to play more. Online or some unlockables is that to much to ask!

mushroomedmario said:
what i want miyamoto to work on next is a star fox game
A real Star Fox Game, none of this walking around crap, strap in the cockpit and leave him there.

Anyhoo Zelda Wii is almost a given, I don't think the next console Zelda will be in development as long as TP was....at least I hope it won't be.....yet at the same time I do hope it takes a while because that means they have more time to add stuff to it and polish it....I don't know what I want anymore :(

i dont know why everyone is scared of casual gaming. just because there are going to be MORE casual games doesn't mean there are going to be LESS hardcore games.

if anything, casual games are helping hardcore games because:
casual gaming is the main selling point of the wii (for most ppl) and since the wii is selling so well, more devs want to develop for it. since more devs want to develop for it, we're bound to get more hardcore games made by third party.

Considering that Twilight Princess wasn't even a native Wii game but is a Gamecube port (which means it's not anywhere near taking advantage of the full power of the Wii), I'm disappointed that a real full-fledged Wii Zelda isn't already in-development. :(

I'm sure theres going to be a Wii Zelda. There were two Zeldas for the Nintendo 64, the GameCube, so why not two for the Wii? Of course we probably won't see it until 2010 because they usually take three years to develop.

Back