"A New Way To Play" This thread is to spread ideas of how best to utilize the Wii

VII

WiiChat Member
Nov 25, 2006
CT
Wii Online Code
5682-2013-8019-5902
This is an email I sent to Nintendo of America tonight, hoping beyond hope that they gain something from it. Please, don't bother pointing out any problems with my writing, because I just don't give a damn.

Hi, my name is Adam. I'm 17 years old, and have been playing video games since about the time i could wield a controller. I still have an old Atari somewhere around here, and i still play classics like Goldeneye and Ocarina of Time on my N64 (which was by far the most influential system i have ever owned.) Now, I own a Wii, and its terrific. Its fun, innovative, and easy to pick up. The only qualm that i have with the system is that i fear for its survival among this next generation of video game systems. Don't get me wrong, I am far from a graphics snob, but what worries me is the controls, particularly for FPSs. By far the most important aspect of the Wii console is its innovative and intuitive controller, but at the same time it could easily be its downfall. Take, for example, Red Steel. The idea of the game is great. The story line about a B+, and the graphics, in my opinion, are worthy of next-gen. But the controls, although extremely satisfying as it is to make a headshot by truly aiming, the overall controlling and movement of the character is definitely not better than standard controls. That being said, I don't believe that that means the Wii's controls will never be better. I believe whole-heartedly that they can. Take it or leave it, this is straight feedback from a hardcore gamer, telling you, Nintendo, his favorite company, how the controls should be for shooting games in order for the Wii to really succeed among hardcore gamers.

- (as a default but allow for customization) the reticule should be locked in the center of the screen.

- actual full body movement should be controlled by the joystick on the Nunchuk

- For certain 3rd person shooter games, such as was done for Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube (second best game of all time), use the remote (in place of the second analog stick) to turn the character, and use the Z button on the Nunchuk to zoom in slightly and bring up a reticule on the screen.

- A "quick-turn" control for any shooter should also be a must-have, for example flicking the remote upwards when not targeting with Z or in conjunction with tapping the Z button, or pushing down on the D-pad, so that the character does a rapid 180 pinpoint turn.

- DO NOT make the scope for a rifle of any kind be controlled by moving TOWARDS the screen with the remote, such as it is in Red Steel. It quickly gets repetitive, annoying, and is just plain aggravating. It is not realistic and it adds nothing to the games depth, control wise or other. Instead, use the D-pad, or, if it must be motion-controlled, moving the remote backwards away from the screen would be a more natural and comfortable way of aiming zoomed in, because in real life one would move their gun back, towards them to steady their shot and bring the sights or scope closer to the eye.

These ideas and suggestions would drive the Wii far, instead of allowing it to die off quickly because most hardcore gamers believe the remote to be just a quirky gimmick that they will soon tire of. Immersing a gamer with tight controls rather than life-like graphics was the driving force behind the Wiis innovation, but it will be annihilated if these controls aren't truly Revolutionary. Spread word about these ideas to all your developers. Please. I BEG OF YOU. This comes from a true fan, and as a fan I do NOT want to see such a great opportunity for Nintendo be passed up like it was for the Gamecube. This truly can be a Wii revolution, but the controls have to be better than standard. They have to be more life-like and immersing, otherwise it really is just a gimmick and people will tire of it ridiculously fast.

Respectfully,

Adam

And now, let me here some feedback, and some other useful ideas for utilizing the Wii's new way to play!

I think that was a great letter, with some interesting concepts, also a very intelligant letter. =)

Thank you very much. I'm (usually) a pretty smart guy. Anyway, tell other people on the site about this thread, it needs to growww!!

Yowza. Looks like you put some thought into it.

I just hope you don't get nicked out and get an auto-reply from some...Auto-replier.

A very good letter VII. I really hope they take notice of it. Keep us updated if you get any reply. I would be interested in seeing how they respond.

:thumbsup:

A very good letter, indeed. Unfortunately I don't think it is ever going to be read. They should be getting a shitload of letters or, rather, mails right now. But what the hell, Ive been thinking about the FPS problem, too. So thanks for letting them know in such a sophisticated way!

Ya ive sent in letters to lots of gaming companies that have sounded very professional. Never once got a response. Well thats not true I actually got a response from Blizzard. It was some foreign dude who addressed the email to Lain, not Iain which my name was clearly stated on my original email. So they obviously do not give a shite about us small gamer types.

Its my duty as a Nintendo fan and as a gamer. A lot of the time I hear people whine about certain aspects of games, but they never DO anything about it, so I decided to do something about it before it even happened, so that my thus far $350 investment wasn't ultimately a waste.

Thank you very much guys, I appreciate the praise, and don't worry, I'll keep you posted. (Haha, what a great pun! get it, POSTed! hahaha! wooooowiiiii. phew. ok done.)

mackiain said:
Ya ive sent in letters to lots of gaming companies that have sounded very professional. Never once got a response. Well thats not true I actually got a response from Blizzard. It was some foreign dude who addressed the email to Lain, not Iain which my name was clearly stated on my original email. So they obviously do not give a shite about us small gamer types.
Well at least you've tried. Three cheers for Mackiain! Woot woot!

There is really nothing to say that hasn't been said; it was very great. All your points were great. I agree it is hard to aim right in FPSs on the Wii, most people have VERY shaky hands. Great letter Adam/VII. That deserves a REAL reply, not an auto reply like this:

(I wrote)
Dear Nintendo people,
I was recently playing my Wii Sports and playing tennis. I was practicing, when
suddenly, I couldnt swing. No matter how I swung, nothing happened. The hand
still appeared whenever I pointed, but if I swung, my Mii wouldnt. I tried
Baseball, Golf, Boxing, and even LoZ: Twilight Princess, but it wouldnt sense my
swing....What should I do?

and they replied:
Message(#6851-000529-5834\5295834)

Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a problem using your Wii Remote. A complete
list of troubleshooting tips for the Wii Remote can be found here:

| Nintendo - Customer Service | Wii

If the troubleshooting doesn't take care of the problem you're having, you will
also find complete repair options and instructions. This section of our site
also contains repair timelines, pricing, and warranty information if applicable.

If you need additional assistance, please contact Nintendo's Consumer Service
Department by calling 1-800-255-3700. Representatives are available to set up
your repair between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time, seven days a week.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
David Glover

Nintendo's home page: The Official Nintendo Homepage, featuring Wii is Available Now!, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Wii Experience Videos, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Madden NFL 07
Power Line (Automated Product Info): (425) 885-7529

AUTO REPLIES SUCK (that was no help to me)!

The "Expert" control system planned in metroid is supposed to address the control issue with fps games. Basically it makes the wiimote behave more like a mouse on a pc.

You know the developers could always add in classic controller support? like smash brothers brawl is classsic controler only, so it may not be a downfall after all :)

3mpathy said:
You know the developers could always add in classic controller support? like smash brothers brawl is classsic controler only, so it may not be a downfall after all :)

but sadly then there would be almost no point to even having a Wii for video games, or at least for shooters, because you would have the exact same control scheme as any of the other systems, which the Wii can't hold a candle to in shear power. And that's not me dissing the Wii, that's just plain fact, again sadly.

By the way everyone, my initial e-mail was sent this past Wednesday, and Nintendo's auto-response prompt states that I should receive a reply within 4-5 days of when I sent my e-mail in. It is now Sunday, so unless they're not counting the day I sent the e-mail in, I should be getting a response today. I highly doubt it though. I'll fill you in as things unravel. Oh, and by the way, as this thread states in its title, go ahead and post any ideas that you can come up with for utilizing the Wii. You never know, we may end up seeing some of our own ideas on the Wii in the future, plus it makes for great discussions.

And now, I bid you ado.

1st - Is SSBB really classic controller only? Or are you just saying that as a suggestion?

2nd - Maybe it's business days...I don't know why, but maybe it is.

3rd - On another thread a prototype model of a gun accessory for FPSs was shown, that might be good.

4th - I don't really have any ideas...possibly real-time sword fighting, not like in Zelda where you swing, he swings, but like wherever your Wiimote is, your sword is.

Back