Anyone here golf?

blueovalboy7 said:
Ah, well NASCAR... I love me some NASCAR, no honestly, I do. There are two drivers who are from my hometown so I root for them, and just something about 355 c.i. V8s pumping 850 horses gets me into it. I love power, and I love speed, so NASCAR really appeals to my personal tastes.

As for NASCAR being boring, yea there are some tracks where its quite boring, take Fontana (California Speedway, most boring race to watch IMO) but go to Bristol, Darlington, Talladega where there is constant action, passes, wrecks, and just chaos that I find myself loving every second of it.

Hahaha, I agree and no need to explain :)

Comparing the two was sort of my point - that you can take any two sports that are unrelated - only that non-fans (un-fans?) say they're "boring" and/or "pointless" - and come up with abstractions to compare them (including saying one is better than the other).

Plus I love the standard fan responses - for Soccer: "it's has to be good because it's popular all over the world" - really who cares if only 5 people like it - if *you* do that all that counts!

Hell, every sport has pretty varied dynamics - Football, Golf, NASCAR, F1, Soccer, Hunting, Surfing, etc., etc.

blueovalboy7 said:
@DT, you should take him up on those free lessons, they can't hurt and might make it more enjoyable for you. I've had probably 2 dozen lessons, and it helps, also if you're serious at all about golf I would suggest reading the book "Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect" by Sports Psychologist Dr. Bob Rotella. After reading that book I dropped 8 strokes off my average, and that is no exaggeration. It helps with arguably the most important aspect of golf, the mental side.

I'm sure it would - I know so little, I wouldn't even have to go through the normal "unlearning" process. Thanks for the book recommendation too - I'm always looking for stuff for the golf fanatics in the family!

[DT] said:
I'm sure it would - I know so little, I wouldn't even have to go through the normal "unlearning" process. Thanks for the book recommendation too - I'm always looking for stuff for the golf fanatics in the family!
Always glad to be helpful, I'm telling you you or anyone in this forum who is serious about golf should give that book a good read or two, it will help tremendously.

Back