Closed threads vs. HUGE threads

jeanniepep

Old Lady Noob
Nov 8, 2007
Wii Online Code
6515-5205-9862-4856
I have been subscribed to several threads about specific games that had a Mod jump in and unceremoniously close the thread saying "This belongs in the What Game Should I Buy Or Rent thread!!"

Sorry y'all, I have a dial-up connection and checking this place out at all can be quite a battle, much less sifting through an incredibly long multi-page thread just to see what games people are talking about. The users I have encountered on WiiChat have been very kind, friendly and helpful, and the threads I have been reading haven't been rude or abusive in any way. I feel like closing those small enjoyable threads might be over-moderating a bit.

I can appreciate the need to keep things organized, but putting ALL games in one giant thread just makes for fewer threads - not more organized threads. General game discussions are what makes this site fun for me. Mod smackdowns for perfectly polite conversation make me wanna log out permanently, cuz it removes what I dig about visiting here.

To prevent spam, we close those threads. By having people post in the stickied threads it makes it easier for us to moderate the rest of the site. Also, most threads relating to general game discussion are left open. Unless of course those threads get out of hand.

All locks have a justified reason, sorry for any inconvenience caused.

You may find the search tool helpful.

You have to understand what the members and moderators of WiiChat go through on a given day. Yes, this is a forum and is open for discussing many different topics. However for such things like "Which game should I get now" or "New Wii owner, need games" etc., threads are put in place to help those in need of it to prevent the gaming section from being filled up with all those threads asking the same question.

And like my example states, such threads as " Official Which Game to Buy Or Rent" is there for members who are not new Wii owners to get an idea of which game they should play next and which one they should not spend their money on. It is also good for new Wii owners in search of getting the best experience they can with their first Wii game purchase etc.

Not all threads here get closed, many remain open and contain great discussion which many others like yourself come to enjoy. But those kinds of threads are closed to reduce spam, and remaining closed does not mean it disappears remember. They are still there to give other members an idea of where to go to find out which game they should buy, and it also tells them they don't need to ask in a thread of their own. So its a Win-Win situation really.

So no need for concern, WiiChat is a great forum.
I am sure we can both agree on that.

Alot of the time, people looking for which game they should buy, ask people and end up just counting the votes of how many voted for which game. Well with the general sticky thread, there is alot of votes for many different games with information all in one place, with out having to wait for people to reply. its all just there. so i really enjoy it. I'm sorry, but for most people on this forum, the giant thread about the common what to buy/rent game question is very convenient. And i highly doubt the mods are going to make there job harder because you have a dial up connection.

Thanks guys. I guess I must be the only one on here even willing to bother visiting with a slow connection. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem, and I guess not. If I'm not able to load the threads to find out what games folks are discussing, then I just won't. The world doesn't have to change for me. Maybe someday highspeed will be available out here in the country and I can visit again then.

If it makes you feel any better, you're definitely not the only site that I can't view w/ my connection! I really kinda liked this one cuz Gamespot takes FOREVER to load even the simplest page. I should spend less time online anyway.

Jeez MetroidZ, can't remember the last time I saw you here...

But I've got to say you just have to use that search tool and just get used to this kind of stuff happening..

jeanniepep said:
The users I have encountered on WiiChat have been very kind, friendly and helpful, and the threads I have been reading haven't been rude or abusive in any way.
That can change :lol:
jeanniepep said:
Sorry y'all, I have a dial-up connection and checking this place out at all can be quite a battle, much less sifting through an incredibly long multi-page thread just to see what games people are talking about. I feel like closing those small enjoyable threads might be over-moderating a bit.
I have a dial up connection too, but if you're claiming that finding posts or threads is hard, just make your search more specific and remember to use the find function in your browser for keywords you might think relate to your search. In summary, the mods may be wrong occasionally but they are just doing their set jobs.

Back