Consoles to “die out” in the next 5 to 10 years

wezeles said:
Whats dieing about the computer industry? The computer is alive and well and in almost everythign we use today, down to the Cell phones we use, the GPS in our car, video game consoles, and the PC itself ha ha.
The computer isn't going anywhere. We might replace the PC with more user friendly interface over the years, but computers will never die, nor will gaming or any other entertainment source. Just the way we use it will change.

He isn't talking about gaming dieing off, he is talking about consoles dieing off. They will soon become nothing more than a HD with an internet connection to download games. Something that could eaisly be included in a universal DVR setup in the futre to store not just you games, but your movies,music and favorite t.v. shows aswell.

People will not be picking out a DVD/Console/STB/DVR systems anymore, he is saying in the futre this will all come in one box much like the PS3/360 attempt but on a much grander scale encompassing everything entertainment, not just the physical media sources with limited DLC like games and movies today. But one large hardrive with unlimited DLC of every kind.

In the future you will go out and buy your choice of the many "super boxs" and everything you toss on it be games,music,videos,tv, ect. will all be in a universal format and in the form of downloadable content that will work on any "super box". Movies,Games,Music will still be for sale but in digital format not physical, probably with the possability to transfer it from "super box to super box" with some type of re-writeable physical form like a memory card.

Although maybe not, this may be the place they make up for lost cash revenue in recent years with all the stolen "peer to peer" content today. With no physical media source and a tagged download "like the VC games that can't move to another console" the entertainment industry would be forced to change to full download content, but also get a boost back to what they use to be before people stole everything online. ha ha
I'm sure it could be cracked but honeslty only the most dedicated "pirate" would be willing to tackle the "superbox" and the 99% of other consumers would just start paying for everything again.

And my mom just learned how to used torrent sites, ha ha she would be pissed.
idk have you been listening to anyone in the video game media talking about how games like WoW are just consuming everyone's time and money on the PC, thus theyre not buying much other games making the console look more attractive. (btw i only read the first 3 sentences of your post)

You guys are ignoring the fact that we control the market. "The business model is very risky and the costs associated with creating new hardware are incredibly high"
Risky because if their new "console" doesn't work then they are screwed.

" In fact in 5 to 10 years I don’t think you’ll have any box at all under your TV, most of this stuff will be “virtualized” as web services by your content provider.”"

This I believe. LONG before Google released their "office" web apps, Microsoft had a version. I was a tester for Office-Online SEVEN years ago. Anytime I wanted to use Word, Excel, Powerpoint I simply went to a secure microsoft website and there they were.

It was Microsoft's plan that once broadband Internet hit an undisclosed saturation in the US, they would release it to the public. Cheap too, but a yearly subscriber rate. I think they were expecting $50/year. That would also allow for online storage and file transfers to other accounts. It worked VERY well, much smoother than Googles.

It would have been a win win for everyone involved, but sadly the FTC thought it would give MS too much power and told them NO. Funny that the FTC doesn't think that about Google. Another case of letting a small company get away with something they won't allow Microsoft to.

Sovieto said:
idk have you been listening to anyone in the video game media talking about how games like WoW are just consuming everyone's time and money on the PC, thus theyre not buying much other games making the console look more attractive. (btw i only read the first 3 sentences of your post)

Im sure you did, looks like you only read the first 3 sentences in the article aswell. This isn't an argument about PC vs. Console gaming. The point is twards the fact that Gaming in general is going to change. It's too costly to come up with new consoles every 5 to 6 years especailly when taken at a loss for the first couple years. When in the future the same thing can be done on a universal DVR with simple upgrades, and atleast when you do purchase a new "super box" you update your entire home network not just your video game console.

He also mentions how online games like some MMORGS games will continue to grow in popularity because of high speed internet connection being spread very quickly and widely among the world.

The article has nothing to do with one format of gaming being more popular. It is that the onset of new technology is going to change the way gaming is done all together, and the popularity of some games because of this spread of technology.

Try reading more than 3 sentences next time, no point commenting on an article if you don't read it or understand what it's saying.

strommsarnac said:
" In fact in 5 to 10 years I don’t think you’ll have any box at all under your TV, most of this stuff will be “virtualized” as web services by your content provider.”"

This I believe. LONG before Google released their "office" web apps, Microsoft had a version. I was a tester for Office-Online SEVEN years ago. Anytime I wanted to use Word, Excel, Powerpoint I simply went to a secure microsoft website and there they were.

It was Microsoft's plan that once broadband Internet hit an undisclosed saturation in the US, they would release it to the public. Cheap too, but a yearly subscriber rate. I think they were expecting $50/year. That would also allow for online storage and file transfers to other accounts. It worked VERY well, much smoother than Googles.

It would have been a win win for everyone involved, but sadly the FTC thought it would give MS too much power and told them NO. Funny that the FTC doesn't think that about Google. Another case of letting a small company get away with something they won't allow Microsoft to.

Thats the direction alot is going.
I just read an amazing book a couple months back looking just at that. Starts with the way we adapted from suppling our own electricity to eventually giving that power to the large "utility companys" to take care of supplying what we use to supply for ourself.
IT departments will be gone at each company and replaced with huge huge complexes of highspeed HD to acess companys large information. You will not buy your own products but simply "rent" them from the new "IT Utility company." Same would go for the home consumer aswell.

All we will have in the future is simply one large harddrive with our personal stuff, and a fancy video card to display it all. Everything else we will pay someone else to take care of it.

Well if there is no consoles there is no gaming im confused i read the article like 2 times but i dont get it No console no company WTF are the games gonna be? Someone explain plz

Subarnu said:
Thats laziness for you. :lol:

Thats consumers for you! :lol: :lol:

Why spend hours downloading programs on your computer when you can pay 5 bucks a month to have the most up to date software at all times at your fingertips? ha ha

We are in a fast paced world that keeps on getting faster, anything to save a minute or a buck will be taken on with open arms.

wezeles said:
Thats consumers for you! :lol: :lol:

Why spend hours downloading programs on your computer when you can pay 5 bucks a month to have the most up to date software at all times at your fingertips? ha ha

We are in a fast paced world that keeps on getting faster, anything to save a minute or a buck will be taken on with open arms.

Yeah =P

PrinceLink, Instead of having a Wii that you buy games (discs) for you have your TV and you buy/download games for it. So you may only need your TV and a credit card to play next gen. games.

Ok so that means no more big 3 ok then i bet $1000 dollars that there will ALWAYS be consoles becuase if you only have a tv that play game and upgades well then that well Monopolize gaming in away so if that happens gaming would die off from lack of inavation, This is like people saying there will be one console futures its not gonna happens and consoles are ALWAYS gonna be here

Listin People first though that TV was going to be a fad and only last 10 years Well they got owned didnt they
People thought the internet was a fad and was gonna die out well there wrong again!!!

Consoles well be here as long as we live are lives because without them its just not possible

If this were to happen then the big 3 (if not 4 by the time it happens) will probably stay separate. Just different channels or something...

PrinceLink said:
People thought the internet was a fad and was gonna die out well there wrong again!!!

My mom said something about how she saw on the news (not FOX) that they will shut the internet down. Highly unlikely but I haven't bothered to check if the source was credible.

Consoles will be here as long as gaming is here, also the guy in the article said that handhelds will go away and that i can beilve becuase it could just translate into cell phones but consoles NO WAY!

Well G4 attck of the show said in a article that if the internet keeps expanding at the current rate it will run out of bandwith by the year 2015 but im sure there think of something

Back