Could something so old possibly be better than something so new?

Ezekiel86

Chillin in the Mill
Jun 26, 2006
Perth, Western Australia, most isolated capital in
Wii Online Code
4149-4465-6987-2962
Well, I was hanging out with my sister the other day, and she and her boyfriend had recently gotten their Super Nintendo working (which he had bought some time ago) and asked me if they could borrow some of my games. I obliged, and I then proceeded to unearth some of my old Super Nintendo games, lending her a few.

In the process, I thought I'd play some of them again too, and man... It was fantastic! Lately I've been obsessed with Mortal Kombat 3, as I've recently discovered how to do Kabal's +70% damage combo. Not to mention other titles, like the largely unheard of platformer The Addams Family: Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt, which has to be one of the most challenging platformers I've ever played (in the 13 or 14 years I've owned it, I've only finished it maybe 2 or 3 times). Also there was The Lost Vikings, one of my alltime favourites :)

I can't help but wonder sometimes... These games are so old, their graphics are considered archaic by todays standards, the sound sampling was low-bit, and the games were predominantly sprite-based. But could something so old still have life in it? I believe so! When I played the PS3 a few weeks ago in a department store, I couldn't help but think "Man, I enjoyed Stunt Race FX on SNES more than this...". The old games are not dead, they're better than ever! I think they really help put into perspective the things that made games great.

When I look at what I liked about old games, almost none of the new games exibit those qualities... The simultaneous co-operative gameplay mode on Pocky and Rocky; the first (and to my experience only) multiplayer action RPG Secret of Mana, which features up to three players teaming up together; the crazy airborne antics of Mario in Super Mario World; the blend of action and puzzle in The Lost Vikings (which paved the way for more Squad/team-based gameplay to come in the future in games like Commandos); the deep, absorbing, philosophical, and emotional storyline involvement in Terranigma; the heavy-metal charm of the original DOOM games.

I could go on forever, but I'll leave you with those thoughts, and share with everyone what you think about gaming these days, do you think it's improving, getting better and more innovative? Or do you think it's a stagnant cess-pool of rehashed and stale ideas?

When I was a brat, I couldn't get off of Super Mario Bros. 3 and some game I had for Intellivision. I never had a Super Nintendo until today, yeah I found one for $2 at a rummage sale. But when I got Sega, outside life was over for sure. Then I got Sega Channel....I have to say, getting a refreshment of games every month or so was the best. Sega made me love video games the way I do today. Then I got the N64, which I loved...but never played as much as Sega, Super Mario 64 and Zelda Oot were my big hits for that.

When I got my Xbox in when I was around 17 or so. The game that really made me jump off my seat was Morrowind. It brought me back to the old days. I wish I wouldn't have sold it. My dad would come upstairs with me and we would hook the Xbox up my sound system and play Halo and Ghost Recon. I swear to god the nieghbors hated us becuase of Ghost Recon.

Ps. It would be so cool if Nintendo had something like Sega Channel...did any of you guys have it??

Back