Dec. 17 - LOTS of Wiis

Homesrfan

ftw
Nov 1, 2006
According to [SIZE=-1]www.kotaku.com, both Bestbuy and Gamestop have saved Wiis on release dates and put them back in storage, all for this weekend... the last weekend for winter shopping. A bit cruel if you ask me, but it's true. This weekend will be your ONLY CHANCE TO GET A WII BEFORE CHRISTMAS! And your best one!
[/SIZE]

Oh snap.

Any word of other retailers?

'Cause I dont' got a Best Buy here. 2 Gamestops across two cities (small ones)

But meh. Wal-Mart and Target are really where I'll get mine...

I predict at least 400k more will be out in the US if they're going for the 4 mil mark. And there's still..two or three weeks 'til the end of the year!

I just got back from Best Buy in Calgary and they said the 15th, Friday, not the 17th.

He said that if you are going to camp, to start Thursday still

Jrizzle said:
I just got back from Best Buy in Calgary and they said the 15th, Friday, not the 17th.

He said that if you are going to camp, to start Thursday still

maybe the 15th and the 17th?

this isn't the place to hunt for Wii's.... get on a reseller board.

got another Wii Tuesday night from Walmart.com ....

we've (resellers) have known about the 17th for a couple weeks now, its not new news and its suprising there are multiple threads around here about it.

Its not going to be nearly enough to meet demand and Im holding all my Wii's (4 now) till after Sunday to sell. Sunday is just going to bring the price up again, just like all the other shipments.

Im getting a bit worried about all the controllers I need to sell though, 11 sets. (anyone need a controller?)

Last edited:
So besides you thinking that you're the sh*t, what did you're post help anyone?
High priced controllers?

yea, werd up jrizzle. getting tired of seeing post like that around here. smartasses.

got any nunchuks though? ok nevermind. lol.

Best Buy not selling Wiis until December 17? Source: A scan of an internal Best Buy newsletter acquired by GoNintendo.

The official story: Best Buy and Nintendo could not be reached for comment as of press time.

What we heard: For people trying to hunt down a hard-to-find Wii, there are few things more frustrating than other Wii owners bragging about how they have one. Nintendo's new console has been in short supply since its launch on November 19, and retailers have been selling the consoles as soon as they get them in.

Or maybe that's what they want you to think. Nintendo fan site GoNintendo.com has posted what is allegedly a scan (click image to enlarge) of an internal Best Buy newsletter, which asks managers not to sell Wiis until December 17, even if the company has units in stock.

Best Buy corporate cites the following three reasons for retaining Wiis in the newsletter:

--"This is the last competitive weekend for holiday shopping, which encourages a large amount of traffic to our retail stores once customers realize the system is available."

--"Customers shopping for other products will have the ability and be encouraged to purchase the gaming console."

--"The system is more readily available then (sic) other competing gaming systems."

The scan also mentions some PlayStation 3 information, including "SCEA has made an announcement that no other units will be shipped in addition to the units already being manufactured." However, unlike the Wii, PS3s are to be immediately shelved and sold to customers.

For those gamers still waiting to get a Wii for the holidays, there is at least one bit of good news in the notice. Though quantities will differ for each store, the newsletter states that a "minimum of 40 consoles is guaranteed."

But when GameSpot contacted a Best Buy store-level employee, we were told that each store was required to have a minimum amount of consoles, as promised in advertisements, for December 17. If stock exceeded the promised number, then stores could sell the difference. The employee's store was also only committed to have 25 units ready for the weekend, not 40 as the memo said.

Bogus or not bogus?: Bogus that all Best Buys aren't selling Wiis, but not bogus that some stores that aren't selling them may have some in stock.

Source:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_b...d=25226184&sid=6163184&tag=latestnews;title;2

Yea, I have no idea why stores would hold units. 2 friends camped out at target for a Wii (just one of them really wanted one), and when they were handing out the tickets, the other friend said he had camped out for the ps3 (turns out he checked ps3seeker.com and found out there were 5 ps3's at that Target), they said they weren't selling them, but then they went to talk to the manager and they both ended up getting a PS3 and a Wii, selling both PS3s and a Wii, keeping one, and making some good cash.

Retailers are assholes sometimes :p

-SpideyKonfusion :(

BSDeez16 said:
But when GameSpot contacted a Best Buy store-level employee, we were told that each store was required to have a minimum amount of consoles, as promised in advertisements, for December 17. If stock exceeded the promised number, then stores could sell the difference. The employee's store was also only committed to have 25 units ready for the weekend, not 40 as the memo said.

Bogus or not bogus?: Bogus that all Best Buys aren't selling Wiis, but not bogus that some stores that aren't selling them may have some in stock.
That store is breaking policy by not saving all of them. All Best Buy's should be holding all Wii's until Sunday, they're even marked this way when they come in. Bogus? No. We have to meet minimum numbers for Sunday's ad to avoid bait-and-switch lawsuits. So if anyone is to blame, it's lawsuit-happy consumers, not the stores. Plus, this approach levels the playing field for people trying to get Wiis. I don't understand why you all are still whining about consoles being held until a Sunday.

Last edited:
Kryptenx said:
That store is breaking policy by not saving all of them. All Best Buy's should be holding all Wii's until Sunday, they're even marked this way when they come in. Bogus? No. We have to meet minimum numbers for Sunday's ad to avoid bait-and-switch lawsuits. So if anyone is to blame, it's lawsuit-happy consumers, not the stores. Plus, this approach levels the playing field for people trying to get Wiis. I don't understand why you all are still whining about consoles being held until a Sunday.

lol umm you don't understand because its right in front of you. customers want it now. we don't care about the ads, they shouldn't be putting the ads out in the first place, they should be selling the consoles immediately.

You have a good point, but you gotta understand where people are coming from. the ads are not released until maybe a week before? Dude, its just annoying, having people camping out and not getting anything and then having a launch in nov and oh yea we not selling all on nov 19 just a couple, we are holding them all off for another month. then why didn't they just make hte launch this coming sunday/monday? lol.

actually the good part of all this is they held it close enough to xmas so parents didn't have to worry about hiding it. ;)

Yeah, I hear it is supposed to be crazy. Now that the Wii is outselling the other game systems, everybody and their dog is wanting one.

This is actually going to make it harder to get one. As the date nears, I am starting to read more and more about it.

Whats a Wii?! I don't know, but I want one!:wtf:

Brow said:
Yeah, I hear it is supposed to be crazy. Now that the Wii is outselling the other game systems, everybody and their dog is wanting one.

This is actually going to make it harder to get one. As the date nears, I am starting to read more and more about it.

Whats a Wii?! I don't know, but I want one!:wtf:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back