DIY Sensor Bar substitute

StudMuffin

WiiChat Member
Feb 7, 2008
I have a projector instead of a TV. The image size is about 5' x 9' on a wall that is about 8' x 12'. When we play Wii, it is from 10' to 15' away. Some games that use the IR sensors in the Wiimote complain that I'm too far from the sensor bar even though performance isn't terrible.

I've ordered two bright IR emitters to replace my sensor bar. While I wait for them to arrive I'd like to plan where to put the new emitters. The ideal location would be on either side of the screen, about 10' apart. Does anyone have an idea of the field of view of the Wiimote?

Btw, below the screen are a variety of obstructions and it is low, about 2.5' off the ground. Above the screen should perform well but I'll have to run new wiring through the wall and install mounting hardware (a weekend's worth of work).

sounds exciting!

it's preference... sounds like you'll want to test for a little while before you fasten them in place.

i.e. i have a 21" lcd mounted 5' up. i mounted my senor bar to the bottom of the tv, but told the wii i placed it on top of the tv... this helps me hold the remote in a more natural manner instead of an upward angle... i suspect you will have to do the same. :yesnod:

StudMuffin said:
Does anyone have an idea of the field of view of the Wiimote?

According to Johhny Lee's videos he say the viewig angle of the Wii Remote is about 45 Degrees.

Hub

Okay, 45 degrees. If then Wii IR emitters are 1' apart then the closest possible distance is about 1.2' (if my rusty trig is correct). A comfortable playing distance is say 5' (?).

So, if I put emitters 10' apart that would be like multiplying everything by 10x. Closest distance would be about 12' and comfortable distance would be 50'. :yikes: I don't think that's going to work. I'll have to go under or over or use an IR translucent screen (perforated).

Back