Do NOT buy the new imac with leopard "because it just works"

Diomedes

WiiChat Member
Aug 5, 2006
Australia
Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234
As for those who already have it, best of luck with it!

Hmm, story of my life. Last week I got myself a shiny 20inch Imac with a 4gb RAM upgrade so it was blazing fast at the start. I was really excited at the start and eagerly made my move on mac. So I Transferred ALL files and contact information, the lot. So that took 3 days for it all to be done.

And from then things started to go downhill, at first it was just simple bug or glitch there that you would hardly notice, then applications began to freeze at random intervals and never recover. This then would spread throughout the whole OS and everything would freeze, the only way to get out of this was pulling the power cord. Soon the computer took longer and longer to start up (not with bootcamp, the windows partition was as fast as ever), where it only took a matter of seconds it now takes minutes, even an hour at a time. Yesterday it just refused to start, giving a series of beeps (perhaps morse code? no idea...) and so i was forced to do a restore on the computer, at first i tried to restore from a time machine backup (thankfully i had that caution) but there was a read error, tried again, same thing. After trying a million times i just gave up and put in the installation disk, which would mean i lose EVERYTHING.

So that process starts, HOWEVER another problem here on the second installation disk it just froze halfway through, with a read error every time i tried. i countered this by replacing the disk (illegally mind you >.>, i dont trust apple service anymore since my drama with the ipod...). So that is finally done and now i have to go through the introduction of saying hello in 150 languages, one after the other >.> Eventually, and surprisingly, i am given the option to transfer data via Time machine, the file was still corrupt so this time I used a backup from my old macbook. So essentially this is will be a clone, i wonder if that poses a problem with third party applications... This process is currently half way and ill update you soon on what happens after. The last thing i want to do is send it to apple and have them repair the computer, which usually takes many weeks.

Summing up this completely this completely tarnishes the quality of apple in my eyes and i probably wont be buying anymore products from them after this imac. If anything goes wrong with a mac then you are totally screwed. Full Stop "It does not just work"

That is all,
An angry mac user

I think you put a virus on it when putting all your files onto it
But I hate macs too, Their programs are just shite, Like iTunes, It sucks
Windows Media Player FTW and Vista is getting better with each patch by christmas it will be great :D

And people say macs dont get viruses, i just laugh at them >.>

Macs are pure evil and should be blown up in a ravine.
And yes, iTunes has gone from actually good to complete garbage recently.

Anyone who knows what they're doing is able to run windows without issues.

Apollo said:
Last week I got myself a shiny 20inch Imac with a 4gb RAM upgrade so it was blazing fast at the start.
Well i hope you didn't buy your ram from apple, as that would be your first mistake.

Apollo said:
I was really excited at the start and eagerly made my move on mac. So I Transferred ALL files and contact information, the lot. So that took 3 days for it all to be done.
3 days! what the hell were you moving and on what? usb 1.1 by any chance?

Apollo said:
And from then things started to go downhill, at first it was just simple bug or glitch there that you would hardly notice, then applications began to freeze at random intervals and never recover.
Command+Option+Escape = Ctrl+Alt+Del for Mac. The problem for first time users is that if you 'close' an application (by pressing the red X in the top right of a window) doesn't actually quit it (it is still running) and thus if you have your computer running for weeks on end with out once shutting down safari it will build up a huge VM store and Slow your mac down.
So Tip no.1 close apps that you use often now and again to clear memory(like every 2 days for safari)

Apollo said:
This then would spread throughout the whole OS and everything would freeze, the only way to get out of this was pulling the power cord.
Yeah this is a problem, if you leave a few to many memory hungry apps open then finder might crash and thats where it feels the whole thing as crashed. but it's really just the GUI crashing. it happens in windows but it's a bit easier to fix. you can either wait it out. do some stuff in Terminal (if you can get it open) or just reboot.

Apollo said:
Soon the computer took longer and longer to start up (not with bootcamp, the windows partition was as fast as ever), where it only took a matter of seconds it now takes minutes, even an hour at a time.
The longer you leave it on, the longer it will take to reboot. e.g you leave your computer on for 2 weeks, reboot it. it's going to take longer to boot than if you reboot from it running for a day. If you install updates then it takes a bit longer to boot as well as thats when it finalizes the instillation. Now if you install some updates and then don't reboot use it for a week and then reboot (as i did) then that really stalls the reboot, took about 20 mins but i knew it was coming :p

Apollo said:
Yesterday it just refused to start, giving a series of beeps (perhaps morse code? no idea...) and so i was forced to do a restore on the computer
Some thing screwed up the boot drive and it doesn't know what to do. it explains it in your manual what the beeps mean, and thats what it is.

I got the 24" iMac with the 2.8Ghz Processor and 4GB of ram. so my processor is slightly faster but that shouldn't change much between our computers. and i have no troubles such as yours. i even run some pretty heavy apps without it even being slow (eyeTV, iTunes, safari, quicktime converting a few files and a few more apps)

Now anyone that bashes iTunes is a fool. it pretty much changed how we view our music libraries and yes it may not be perfect on windows, but i've not ever had a problem with it. i've tried storing my 100GB+ music library on WMP and you got no chance, it just chokes all the time.

hop3less said:
Anyone who knows what they're doing is able to run windows without issues.
And you can say the same thing about any operating system. I know Mac and Windows, and i can use both fine.

Honestly if you come back to the thread can you state what apps where hanging etc.. and how long you left it on. because if your using stuff like dreamweaver, photoshop, lightroom, apeature, iMovie, iTunes etc.. all at the same time them i don't expect it to not lock up.

Apollo said:
And people say macs dont get viruses, i just laugh at them >.>
Mac's get a few bits of Malware and spyware here and there, but no where near as much as windows, Worms as well as potential vulnerabilities were well noted over the internet in February 2006, which led some industry analysts and anti-virus companies to issue warnings that Apple's Mac OS X is not immune to viruses, as is commonly misconceived. However, there has not been an outbreak of Mac malware, and Apple routinely issues security updates for its software.

Technically there aren't any viruses for Mac's as they often turn out to be worms or trojan horses, but that aside the problems are often patched up within a day.

Last edited:
Here's what I was doing with my school's G5s:

Running Avid
Running Audacity

Had a movie open in avid for editing.
Editing a song in audacity.

Audacity locks up from merely copying parts of a song.
Not the entire computer, just audacity.

My windows machine, that I built myself for under a grand, doesn't do that.

I don't hate everything about macs:
I like how you can screen grab certain parts of the screen.

hop3less said:

Running Avid
Running Audacity

Ok your last point is void because of what you said at the start. your comparing a G5 to a computer you built for under a grand.

for just over £500 i can build a computer with ; AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, 4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024], 320GB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive, 256MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 2600 XT graphics card. Which will own that G5 which could be from 1998. so no surprise there.

hop3less said:
Which you can actually do in windows.

hop3less said:

Running Avid
Running Audacity

lol you do understand that the G5s at our school a **** right? they only have 1 gig of ram and 2.0GHz Core 2 Duos. when im in a class working with a mac i usually pull out my macbook and use that

Mitch2025 said:
lol you do understand that the G5s at our school a **** right? they only have 1 gig of ram and 2.0GHz Core 2 Duos. when im in a class working with a mac i usually pull out my macbook and use that
there not Core 2 Duos as thats an Intel name for there duel core processor, and the processors in those were made by IBM. With IBM calling there processor simply 970MP which was basically two 970FX cores on one die

well when i clicked on the "About This Mac" option in the uhhh... apple icon (start menu?) it said 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Mitch2025 said:

I don't care.

Brian's laptop > Your laptop.

Woba Fett ftw

Mitch2025 said:
well when i clicked on the "About This Mac" option in the uhhh... apple icon (start menu?) it said 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.
on the G5? i can say factually that it did not say 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Back