Do NOT buy the new imac with leopard "because it just works"

UPDATE

I have managed to restore my mac with the time machine backup of my old macbook. Ive run disk utility and everything seems to be working fine. The only exception is that when i try to sync my ipod with itunes the whole program just freezes and crashes (this is probably because itunes is a "clone" of my macbook's and it just gets confused, it has the latest updates).

So it must have been a really bad virus after all

Im just really annoyed because ive lost all my media (apart from songs) and ive lose a precious spare afternoon to this drama >.>

Thanks alot for the help :D!

Care to state any other reason why my Mac screwed big time so soon? My previous PC's have worked perfectly.

Apollo said:
So it must have been a really bad virus after all
Read this..
Then read the search result under viruses and risks for 'OS X 10.5' and you will get 2 results, dated from before the operating system was launched. Symantic would post any news on a virus for Mac's

and tbh, if you lost all your media, it's your own fault if you don't back it up, i wouldn't trust Time Machine to back up my cookies let alone my documents.

how do you sync your iPod?

Last edited:
Apollo said:
Care to state any other reason why my Mac screwed big time so soon? My previous PC's have worked perfectly.

The problem is connected to when you transferred your old files.

This is a shot in the dark since, again, I despise all Macs and don't know much about them, but this is my attempt to use logic:

Would there be any compatibility issues with the old files moving on to leopard?

Also, I wouldn't know about the select screen grabs for windows; I've never had to google how to do it. I have an alt-print screen option and just do it in MS Paint ;)

Gaz said:

Well the problem seems to be coming from the the files that were transferred onto the leopard mac.
He said it was fine up until then.

Was the old mac files working fine before you got your new system?

hop3less said:
Well the problem seems to be coming from the the files that were transferred onto the leopard mac.
He said it was fine up until then.

Was the old mac files working fine before you got your new system?
and thus because the user (who is no Mac techy) said that it happened after they moved some files over, that is the cause.

Who said i was no mac techy? I have had a black macbook which was just upgraded to leapard so i know all about the mac OSX interface, still running great.

Being wooed by the time machine interface i was eager to give it a go, nobody is stupid for using it, its whole purpose is to provide reliable backups. It did help me restore my mac however i would have wanted to use the right backup (the one i wanted corrupted).

Remember that leapard is still incredibly buggy so there is bound to be many problems, mine was a worst case scenario. Gaz just stop, you know the only reason that mac's dont have many viruses because of their market share, and no OS is perfect.

Apollo said:
Who said i was no mac techy? I have had a black macbook which was just upgraded to leapard so i know all about the mac OSX interface, still running great.
Don't take offense, but your no mac techy from the comments you have made about your troubles.

Apollo said:
Being wooed by the time machine interface i was eager to give it a go, nobody is stupid for using it, its whole purpose is to provide reliable backups.
Like you said leopard is far from perfect yet, time machine is there first attempt at a backup utility and thus i wouldn't recommend any user solely relying on this for backing up data.

Apollo said:
Remember that leapard is still incredibly buggy so there is bound to be many problems, mine was a worst case scenario. Gaz just stop, you know the only reason that mac's dont have many viruses because of their market share, and no OS is perfect.
i've had the same problems. In fact my Mac Mini's HD went morse code on me as well.

1. Not once did i say OS X was perfect, like you stated no OS is perfect.

2. OS X's market share is not the sole reason that OS X has no viruses, of course it helps, who wants to make a virus that effects less than 3% of computers at best. but the fact that apple are so quick to respond to a threat (they respond with updates with in days of serious errors being found)

The only reason i'm still posting in this topic is to help yourself (although it seams that like you said it was a worse case scenario for your drive and your sorted you self out) and to educate some people on this forum who for some reason have a hate for apple products when they have only had there 1G iPod crash on them once.

Apollo said:
Who said i was no mac techy?
It didn't need to be said...

Apollo said:
Remember that leapard is still incredibly buggy so there is bound to be many problems, mine was a worst case scenario.
LOL

Apollo said:
Gaz just stop, you know the only reason that mac's dont have many viruses because of their market share, and no OS is perfect.
Most servers run a *nix OS. Shouldn't that make them the biggest target of all? Yet they are still virtually immune to viruses. The only real flaw is user ignorance...people who run as root/admin...or give the root/admin password to some unknown app. Sure, they aren't perfect, but they're damn close.

hop3less said:
This is a shot in the dark since, again, I despise all Macs and don't know much about them

These two statements go hand-in-hand, you can't have one without the other. I'll be the first to admit that no OS is perfect, but I would also say that Mac is better than Windows.

Back