DVD in the US late 07

breach

WiiChat Member
Nov 15, 2006
GameSpy: DVD Playback for U.S. Wii Coming

This makes no mention of a software update, this is a full out hardware upgrade that requires a brand new system, with a higher sticker price. Announcing an upgrade to a system that isnt even out yet, doesnt make sense to me. Personally, as someone who plans on getting a Wii when it comes out (and I HATE nintendo), this seems like a real kick in the teeth. He certainly makes it sound like there will be a system with upgraded sound capabilities too (the dvd playing one), and thats an insult to anyone that gets a launch unit.

Seems to me Nintendo have taken a huge section out of Apple's book.

First of all looks, first the DS lite now the Wii. They look like apples products, and this is not a bad thing. Next is making their own hardware out of date before anyone else can.

It works for Apple, let's hope it works for Nintendo.

Icuic said:
Next is making their own hardware out of date before anyone else can.

I don't get it? Since Apple is the only company selling OsX capable products, f course they are the only company that can make their products out of date. On the other hand, they have a MUCH higher "shelf-life" than PCs. I have a 2 and 1/2 year old iMac that is still running as quick as the day I pulled it out of the box with no maintanence and I use it for professional audio work.

most likely they will release an update for the current Wii systems on the shop channel as it is really just a decoder that is needed to play dvd movies, its just like if you have a dvd-rom drive for your computer, you can't play movies till you have the decoder and Nintendo probably wanted to get the important stuff finished and not release crap with a dvd player, even if they don't I'm sure some 3rd party will.

Sorry to say but this is a business nightmare for Nintendo. Anouncing an upgraded version of a console that has not even hit any market yet. Very stupid on their part. Either build it in or don't mention it until at LEAST a year after the console is released. You'd be suprised how many consumers will hold off to buy one just to get the "upgraded" version... no matter how small that upgrade is.

ABC said:
Sorry to say but this is a business nightmare for Nintendo. Anouncing an upgraded version of a console that has not even hit any market yet. Very stupid on their part. Either build it in or don't mention it until at LEAST a year after the console is released. You'd be suprised how many consumers will hold off to buy one just to get the "upgraded" version... no matter how small that upgrade is.

No one knows about this dvd upgrade thing except fanboys, i might add.

No one cares. Go to any Ninty stand demonstrating the Wii and i bet you those kids don't even know that DVD is coming. They'll be like "no it cant play DVD and never will".

I personally would luv a Wii with a DVD player, but i simply cant wait that long to play Zelda. I just can't.

Nintendo wins. It is not a nightmare.

People need that tension in technology its what makes them fold and purchase.

I bought an ibook like 1 week before the macbook came out, its the same. I just couldn't wait.

Last edited:
art said:
No one knows about this dvd upgrade thing except fanboys, i might add.

I'm not a fanboy and I know... so does everyone that goes on i4u, CNET, and most other technology news websites. So you were saying?

Back