Format Flaw?

Cabe said:
They could, I guess, Offer games on HD-DVD for those that have the drive and on multiple DVDs for those that don't but that seems like such an ineffective way of doing so.

And I still wouldn't define that as a rant. Rant tends to emotionally driven writing (ie having a strong opinion on something)
I don't really have an opinion either way. I'm not planning on buying a 360.

Cabe said:
And I still wouldn't define that as a rant. Rant tends to emotionally driven writing (ie having a strong opinion on something)
I don't really have an opinion either way. I'm not planning on buying a 360.
okay sorry bout that, umm but i just want it clear i didnt say rant as a negative thing

Blu-ray is just flat out going to have slowass access times for a while. It isn't quit ethe same issue with Hd-dvd players which are just modified dvd players. I remember buying a dvd player when it first came out, and then a burner. They had crapass access read speeds then also.

Dual layers can hold about 9GB, or something like that. I have no problem with multiple discs. There were few games that used multiple discs. Final Fantasies are FULL of FMVs that take up a lot of space and that was pretty much it. Other examples are Legend of Dragoon, Xenogears, Xenosaga and a bunch of other RPGs. I would rather High capacity discs next generation than to deal with expensive and unproven formats. Bluray is a good in theory, but Sony is to incompetent to handle something of that magnitude.

DVD's are fine for now, it's amazing what developers have done and can do with compression these days, and theres also the option of using dual layer DVD's, and if thats not enough multiple DVD's will work just fine. Blue-Ray is pretty unnesessary unless all of your textures are just absoloutly massive, you have thousands upon thousands of models, and the game code is very extensive. Blue-ray just allows developers to be able to do their work without worry of space issues.

Weebs said:
DVD's are fine for now, it's amazing what developers have done and can do with compression these days, and theres also the option of using dual layer DVD's, and if thats not enough multiple DVD's will work just fine. Blue-Ray is pretty unnesessary unless all of your textures are just absoloutly massive, you have thousands upon thousands of models, and the game code is very extensive. Blue-ray just allows developers to be able to do their work without worry of space issues.
the question is, would devs go that far to create such an epic? or what if they do and it dosent do fantastic in sales?

Back