Game Genie?

2muchVCs

WiiChat Member
Feb 22, 2008
I did a little research to make sure this thread wasn't made before, but correct me if i'm wrong.

Do you think it would ever be possible for them to release a game shark or a game genie on the virtual console? Sort of like an add-on deal? I'm not sure how that would work, but I would sure buy it on the VC if it were possible to do that.

I just thought I would bring this up to see if you guys think that could happen in the near future.

Just how would you make something that wedged in-between the real disc drive and the disc? Making something that can read the Wii disc is easy. Making something that appears to the Wii as a disc, and can slide into the slot, and is read by the drive like a disc, but isn't a disc, would be an interesting accomplishment.

Oh, I was just thinking downloading it as a VC channel, but allowing it to work on all the classic games.
I don't know though, I guess I should've used my brain before posting it, because they most likely would'nt be able to do something like that.

No chance

Nintendo and the makers of the Game genie had a bit of a legal tiff over it

from the wiki said:
Legal issues

The introduction of the original NES Game Genie was met by fierce opposition from Nintendo. Nintendo sued Galoob in the case Galoob v. Nintendo, claiming that the Game Genie created derivative works in violation of copyright law. Sales of the Game Genie initially stopped in the U.S., but not in Canada. In many gaming magazines of the time, Camerica placed Game Genie ads saying "Thank You Canada!" However, after the courts found that use of the Game Genie did not result in a derivative work, Nintendo could do nothing to stop the Game Genie from being sold in the U.S. Sega, on the other hand, fully endorsed the product with their official seal of approval. Before the lawsuit was filed, Galoob offered to make the Game Genie an officially licensed product but was turned down by Nintendo.
Around the time of the lawsuit with Galoob, Nintendo used other methods in attempts to thwart the Game Genie, using ROM checksums in later titles intended to detect cheat modifications. These measures were partially successful but some could be bypassed with additional codes. Later versions of the Game Genie had the ability to hide Genie modifications from checksum routines.[citation needed]
[jokeinly mode]

Whats wrong

Are these games to hard for ya
Be a man

Codebreakers is working on a Wii version. As an added bonus the Wii Codebreaker will contain hacks for VC games. No word if it's like Gameshark's PS1/PS2 version for the PS2(You couldn't add nor edit the PS1 codes), or if it allows you to add new codes later.

Both Gameshark and Codebreakers are dead serious about the next gen consoles. If they can't deliver this year, they may be out of business next year. Since Gamestop supports Codebreakers, I don't see them bowing out anytime soon.

www.gameshark.com
www.cmgsccc.com

Ha you're right though. Some of the games are too hard for me. Don't get me wrong though. I think i'd be neat to have a game genie, but i'm really satisfied with how everything is. I enjoy the games being hard.

I did some more research. Gameshark now has gamesaves, and a cheat device that seems to not only enable some kind of video editing? It looks like it's made for swapping save data. Which is the next best thing to cheating.

I agree. If you say which entertainment medium is the future, it's not games. Once you have kids, a full time job, the free time you have to play these games disappears. The game indsutry should look at cheat devices as a benefit for the offline gamers. We shouldn't be pulling out their hair because some guy wrote crappy programming scripts. A second option is sometimes required. Go play Silver Surfer(NES) if you disagree.

2muchVCs said:
Ha you're right though. Some of the games are too hard for me. Don't get me wrong though. I think i'd be neat to have a game genie, but i'm really satisfied with how everything is. I enjoy the games being hard.

Id be lyein I if iad I never used one

But I used one with silly codes
Some good things
Street fighter 2 - Fire balls all over the place, Random charicter changes,
Sonic - Go green,
Last battle - Become playable,Shop refund

I don't know there were a fair amount of Nintendo games that were just brutal. The Adventures of Bayou Billy was just vicious. I recall having to be restrained from breaking a few nintendo controllers back in the day.

Back