Gamecube Controllers with Virtual Console

sammeh86

WiiChat Member
Dec 13, 2006
Gamecube Controllers not working with Virtual Console

Hey,
Little problem coming between me and my enjoyment of donkey kong country :frown2:

I've been told Gamecube controllers will work with the VC.
Not having a gamecube previously went out and got a couple as they were cheaper than the classic controllers and meant i could play the VC.

When I get a couple of VC games downloaded (Goldenaxe and DK country), the gamecube controller won't work with them.
Goldenaxe plays with the wii remote no matter what I press on the gamecube pad
DKC just tells me to plug in the classic controller.

The pads work with gamecube games in the wii so it's not that.
I've looked through all the settings and can't find anything that I could change to help.

Any help would be really appreciated, i've spent ages looking online for an answer.

~ Sam

Last edited:
sammeh86 said:
Hey,
Little problem coming between me and my enjoyment of donkey kong country :frown2:

I've been told Gamecube controllers will work with the VC.
Not having a gamecube previously went out and got a couple as they were cheaper than the classic controllers and meant i could play the VC.

When I get a couple of VC games downloaded (Goldenaxe and DK country), the gamecube controller won't work with them.
Goldenaxe plays with the wii remote no matter what I press on the gamecube pad
DKC just tells me to plug in the classic controller.

The pads work with gamecube games in the wii so it's not that.
I've looked through all the settings and can't find anything that I could change to help.

Any help would be really appreciated, i've spent ages looking online for an answer.

~ Sam

Are these games compatible with the controller you want to use for them? No all VC's are compatible with GC controllers.

Sorry I can't help, but thanks for the information, I was going to buy a GC controller for my VC games, I think now I will wait for a Classic Controller.

Yeah, when i downloaded them I checked, there's a little gamecube controller icon there.

Dont have any problems with my gc wavebird controller, did it ask you at the start when you load the vc game up to press the button on your gamecube controller. Does on mine.

Yeah for example my Super Mario 64 will say something like "You need a Classic controller for this" and I just hit the A button on my gamecube controller and it continues.

Playing with my GC controller lately, I'm starting to think I should buy the classic controller, as its being said all VC games are optmized for it. I notice some funky controlling with my GC in Super Mario 64.

i'll try pressing a when it asks for the classic controller.
ta.

while at the screen when it asks for the classic controller, just keep unplugging and plugging in your GC controller into diffrent ports untill it passes the screen. it did that to me the first time i went to play SM64 but after unplugging it and plugging it back in a few times, it worked and i havent had that problem since

tried pressing a/start at various points and no luck
will try unplugging/plugging in on that screen and let you know

thanks for the advice :)

sammeh86 said:
tried pressing a/start at various points and no luck
will try unplugging/plugging in on that screen and let you know

thanks for the advice :)

thats strange, do you have any other controller to try using? If the game has a Gamecube controller icon it should work, I'd call Nintendo up on this one. Who knows if it'll be the same for other games you try.

i just got Dr. Robotnic's Mean Bean Machine and it kicks ass. it works with the wavebird.

Did you get all cheap@ss and buy third party controllers?? cause those won't work. Also, did you plug it in the right port? You can only plug it into the port closest to the front of the console (at least for player #1).

If you had bought the Nintendo brand standard GC controller or Wavebird then they will work with 99% of the VC games; this includes all the ones that are on the VC already.

While I haven't downloaded any VC yet, I don't see DK Country is on the list...it's one of my SNES faves!

My understanding is that the GC controllers will work on all the VC games.

Last edited:
3rd party controllers....
that explains that then

gave up and got a classic controller anyway, ah well.

No one around here has a classic controller in stock, and I've never owned a Gamecube (hence, no games / controllers / memory cards), but I'd like to play SM64 + others. Should I get a GC controller or wait until classic controllers are in stock?

Back