Gamespot biased against the Wii

phillepino

SSBB Name = JAA!
Oct 7, 2007
SACTOWN
Wii Online Code
5481-6878-4567-7796
Here's a post from a gamespot user. I found this while looking for an answer why Gamespot is biased against the Wii.

"I picked up my Wii in early February or so. I enjoyed playing the Wii Sports that was bundled with it, but absolutely fell in love with the console when Resident Evil 4 was released. Since my purchase I have monitored the Wii forums, and throughout that time there have been a flood of posts claiming GameSpot is biased against Nintendo or more specifically agains the Wii. I have always brushed these aside, as in the past GameSpot has been mostly fair with their reviews, with a bad review only being an occasional blip on the radar. However, after seeing the review of Metroid Prime 3, you have to ask what the heck is going on at GameSpot? I mean, first they totally foobar up their review system to the point that it's virtually useless unless you are going to read the entire review (they shut down a union of people who wanted the old review system back, that's right, deleted / purged the union, and then killed the only thread we were allowed to provide feedback on). Now they have an x-tournament director, now associate editor, reviewing games, and reviewing what has to be one of the premier games on the system and only giving it an 8.5? At this point, I'm not sure what's more ridiculous, the rating system, or the resulting quality of their reviews.

Other Gaming Sites Scores
Take a look at the other gaming sites review scores for Metroid Prime 3:

10/10 - Nintendo Power
9.5/10 - IGN
9.0/10 - 1UP
9.6/10 - GameTrailers
8.5/10 - GameSpot

What's even crazier, is that every review so far has hailed this game as a better game than Metroid Prime 2, and even better than Metroid Prime 1. GameSpot's own score for those games:

GameSpots Metroid Prime Scores
Metroid Prime 1 - 9.7
Metroid Prime 2 - 9.2
Metroid Prime 3 - 8.5

Is Metroid Prime 3 really the worst one in the series? Consensus would say that Metroid Prime 2 was the bad egg, so why does Metroid Prime 3 receive the worst score? Why?

Forum Thread On MP3 Rating Locked
To make matters worse, GameSpot is now in the process of actively stomping on any questioning of their reviews. I mentioned their approach to stifling the feedback from the community regarding the new review system. I posted a thread on the MP3 8.5 review in the Wii forums, only to have it locked without any reason or message from a moderator. The locking of threads without notification or reason from a moderator on the Wii forum is extremely prevelant This is something that doesn't occur near as much on the other XBox 360 or PS3 forums.

Bias?
I am not sure if there is a bias against the Wii here at GameSpot, but the Wii definitely appears to be treated as a second hand console at GameSpot. Non-game reviewers are now providing reviews. Wii games constantly receive lower scores than other sites (MP3 is a 'prime' example). Wii titles even receive lower scores than their XBox 360 / PS3 titles. Why? Graphics perhaps? Shouldn't the game be reviewed based on the capabilities of the CONSOLE and not other paltforms? I mean, PS3 games or XBox 360 reviews are not based on what the game looks like on the PC? I quite honeslty just don't get it.

Miss Qualtiy Reviews and Open Atmosphere
I have been a member here for a long, long time. It's hard to see a website whose content you love, and whose features you use on nearly a daily basis diminished for any reason. Unfortunately, things have been in a downward spiral for over 6 months now (possibly longer). I'm still holding out for GameSpot to turn things around, but so far, there's no sign of change except in the negative. I no longer view GameSpot as a review site. I only use them to keep up on news, and to store my game collection. When I want a review, I now check out GameTrailers. If you want good reviews, check out www.gametrailers.com. Video reviews, for video games, and a point system at that.... 'nuff said.
By valdarez"

Another one..

Have you seen the new releases of the Wii vs. the XBOX 360?

Half or less than half of what was reviewed in the 360 was reviewed.

In other words, Wii is probably purposely being ignored and 360 is higher priority.

Gamespot is biased on everyting except FPS games. They gave Zelda TP a low score when everyone, and I mean everyone else gave it a high score. Their reasoning? More of the same. So it gets a low score. But Halo 3 is more of the same and they give it close to a 10. The worst part is it's the same reviewer! I watched them give great horror games like Silent Hill 2 a 7.7! It's god damn Silent Hill 2! Don't forget Metal Gear Solid 3 got a low score. Gamespot also doesn't have the balls to give crappy games like Gundam, or Superman Returns scores of 1, as those games deserve it.

If you want more realistic reviews go anywhere else but gamespot. They demo games on their show which is ok, but for the actual reviews they define the word middle ground. I recommend X-play. X-play will tell you if the game is awful!

What do these two games have in common? They continue their series with more of the same. But Halo 3 is an FPS. These are also the same people who said FF7 has awful music.
Zelda TP
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/...t=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review
Halo 3
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/halo3/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=tabs&tag=tabs;reviews

Last edited:
did you read the review or just look at the numbers? Did you look to see why they might have thought it deserved a 8.5? 1up only gave it a 5 point differnce. Could it be the lack of multiplayer? or perhaps the only thing that might have changed was the controls from the other metroid prime games? You won't know the reason unless you read the review. So what was their reason for it other than you think they are biased towards the wii, what did the review say? Then compare it to the other reviews section for section. then you will probally see why they gave it that.

Here could be the reason they gave it that score this is coming from them and the reviewers opinion.
The Bad

* Some of the contextual actions don't control all that well
* Streamlined controls make things a little too easy and a little less adventurous
* Doesn't do much different than the previous two Metroid Prime games.
we encourage you to read our full reviews and watch our video reviews to give context to our ratings.

Now if i do recall this is a FPS, Halo is Halo no i don't think it is great but millions of other people obviously think it is, it also has a lot of replay value were metroid prime does not, and twilight princess does not. Once you beat those there is not much reason to play it again, vs halo has extra content hidden in the single player that benefits the muliplayer, thus it also has multiplayer with several different game modes which makes the replay value extreamly high. It has co-op which makes playing the single player more fun. Also take into consideration it has offline multiplayer as well. so yea with that much replay value of course its going to get a better review than those other two.

Last edited:
dude, i actually read their reviews -_-

gamespot was my number one reviewer but then i guess... or i believe that they are not really focusing on the wii... if you look at xbox new releases, they always have more time for xbox than wii soo yeah

well look at these scores

nintendo power= 10
the onion------= 10
gamers temple-= 10

gamepro = 8.5
gamespot = 8.5
worth playing = 8.5
game revolution = 8.3
game almighty = 8.0
game style = 8.0
yahoo games = 8.0
total video games = 8.0
Edge magazine = 7.0

if you ask me out of the bunch

edge magazine is being biased against wii/nintendo

and the 3 10/10 are biased for the wii./ the game/ nintendo.

in between thos scores there is a bunch of 85-99 scores,

but the average of all scores from the collection was 9.0

well looking at those reviews i would say the majority of reviews out there didn't think this game was a perfect 10 game. so i wouldn't call it biased just real. and from looking at their 360 reviews they didn't give a lot of 10's to them either mostly 8.5 or lower. And Halo 3 only got a 9.5 10 points more than metroid which is most likely due to multiplayer and replay value, so no i don't think they are biased. As a matter of fact i see no games that have got a 10, which makes me think they have the more realistic review system because there are no perfect games that have hit it in all departments yet, the closest in my opinion would be grand theft auto with a working multiplayer. I don't under stand how metroid would get a 10 this time and then if they would make another then add replay value and mulitplayer what would that get if the last one got a 10?

Last edited:
Gamespot IS pretty much pushing away from nintendo. If you don't know that their reviews, previews, and articles are bias, then you haven't been on that site long enough to notice. And them saying that Wario:SM was better then Metroid and Zelda is just absurd. Also, if people haven't noticed, their news are very outdated, reviews are extremely late at times and most of their attention goes to Sony and Microsoft.

Last edited:
RivalDestiny said:
Gamespot IS pretty much pushing away from nintendo. If you don't know that their reviews, previews, and articles are bias, then you haven't been on that site long enough to notice. And them saying that Wario:SM was better then Metroid and Zelda is just absurd. Also, if people haven't noticed, their news are very outdated, reviews are extremely late at times and most of their attention goes to Sony and Microsoft.
well thats because nintendo likes to keep the rap on things and keep info for their own review mag, and thus releases info late. Xbox and playstation however release things on a regular basis, thus making it easier to review. Hell just as the reviews are getting written they have demos up on xboxlive and playtation network, for us to make our own decision about.
I look at those low ratings that some of the wii games have and they deserve those ratings. just like the ones on the other deserve it too. Like i said the highest score that has been on there is a 9.5 and that is pretty realistic seeing as there are no perfect games out there. Every game that is good doesn't have to be a 9 or better. 5 and under are bad 6 is ok, 7 and 8 are good 9 and up are great games. whats wrong with that. Lets also keep in mind Zelda was a gamecube game and there is nothing really setting it apart from its gamecube counterpart so why would it deserve better than a 7? for the wii, maybe better than a 7 for the gamecube but why for the wii?

Last edited:
I think that a reviewer (or anyone else) cannot punish a single-player based game (such as all Metroids, excluding Hunters) for a lack of multiplayer, if they do, then they should also punish multiplayer-only games (ie. all MMORPGs) for a lack of single-player, and multiplayer-focused for having a crappy single-player portion. But how often does the latter happen. And to me Gamespot has seemed to be anti-Wii from the day it came out.

lol nintendo keep the wrap on things hmm

ign have at least 6 reviews for ds games every 2 days wii games are usually reviewed a day or 2 after they come out

gamespot is totally biased towards nintendo

of course when looking at the facts my view should be supported

Wii_BrEnDo2007 said:
lol nintendo keep the wrap on things hmm

ign have at least 6 reviews for ds games every 2 days wii games are usually reviewed a day or 2 after they come out

gamespot is totally biased towards nintendo

of course when looking at the facts my view should be supported
you just proved my point right there. reviewed after they come out. Most xbox and playstation games have reviews before they even come out, so your point now? Esp the online reviews. you still haven't explained how they are biased just because they don't give a game a 10 because its not perfect, other than controls what is a wii game differnt from a game cube game in reality, what game do you think deserves a better rating than Halo 3's 9.5, then tell me how many times will the average person play that game over and over again, or for that matter what do they stand to gain from playing it over again. This is a multiplayer generation Single player games that at least don't have co-op will suffer in all reviews except those that just give out 10s on a daily basis. In my opinion there are only two single player games that would ever as of right now get close to a 10 and that is Oblivion, and God Of War. Yes you are right about the mulitplayer part too but at the same time what game that is just multiplayer has a high score over a 8?

Last edited:
the point is not many people decide to buy a game the day it comes out so 2 days later a log on see this game reviewed and decide wether to buy it or not

Wii_BrEnDo2007 said:
the point is not many people decide to buy a game the day it comes out so 2 days later a log on see this game reviewed and decide wether to buy it or not
i think that whole concept is retarded any way, why base your preferances on what someone else thinks about a game? Reviews are at the most opinions, not the bottom line. Thats why you see varying reviews and review points. you should watch vids and if available try demos to make your decision, and then also know what type of game you like and base it on that. They could give a game a 10 but its crap to you.

I think gamespot is a bit bias. . . or stupid. . .

I remember on Nsider everyone was trying to make sense of the gamespot review. . . it said something like it's too easy to control samus yet they also said it the controls were a step forward for the wii. . . so they basically contridicted themselves. They also gave rather stupid reasons for giving it a low-ish score. I think it deserved at least a 9.

yeah, i'm not gonna argue w/ anyone, my opinion.

Wii games constantly receive lower scores than other sites (MP3 is a 'prime' example).

Nice pun.

Back