Gamestop Manager Won't Sell Games To Stupid Kids

surfinrach90 said:
A Gamestop store in South Dallas is breaking corporate policy by refusing to sell games to schoolkids who can't prove they're doing well at school. Managed by Brandon Scott, he's got a store rule that unless an adult can verify that a child is getting good grades at school he won't sell a game to them. Any game. Even Pony Friends.

Brandon, your heart's in the right place, but the kids won't think somebody cares. They'll think you're being a total ass. Especially if they're not bright kids , and all they want to do is buy a videogame from your videogame store.

Linkage
lmao! buaaaa, rach gets repped for the find, but anywAYS that sucks. lol

The store manager is a douche. He shouildn't just not sell games to people because they're slow, stupid, or lazy. I mean he's a manager of a game store, he probably spent most of his time on a couch as a child and didn't do well in school. I admit, games do affect your mark by alot when you get hooked on them (i know from experience), but that's the kids fault. They know what they need to work on and they have the will power to stop. If they don't, that'll be their character trait that gets them on drugs, not the lack of or exess of video games.

Ok, so this guy says he won't sell to these kids. The kid gets mad and goes to walmart that says here you go for the same price. Then that gamestop looses money. If I were the regional manager I'd be over there in a heartbeat.

Each kid is different. Some can self maintain, others need guidance. That goes for parents as well. I see parents that are strict, and ones that act like children. People often confuse the loudest voice in the room as the norm. The reality is there is a ton of variety in people. Just watch shows like Ninja Warrior if you don't believe me.

Mingus said:
He does not have the legal right to refuse payment for a game unless the rating does not allow for the age.

Having been through retail management training in the past, ALL retailers in the US have the legal right to deny service to anyone they want. No reason needs to be given. However, denial "can't" be due to race, sex, or creed. So as long as the manager doesn't come right out and say any of those 3 motivated his refusal, he can get away with it.

Age is not a discriminatory category for selling products. As you should be well aware, age is an acceptable limiting factor with many products.

Just because someone has "legal" tender does not mean they are entitled to purchase a product. Once they are entitled, then the seller must accept legal tender. Not the other way around.

Those ratings aren't legally binding, neither are movie ratings. They are classified as guidelines (check the ratings website, but you'll have to dig deep cause they don't want people to know this). They are "accepted" by the reseller and theater as policy so they don't have to suffer social and marketplace backlash. Almost the same as legal restrictions, but they aren't legally enforcable. In other words, one can't be convicted for selling an M-rated game to a 10 year old, but they might get arrested and their time/money wasted.

devitek said:
However, it's still not a good excuse for not doing the work. If I decided, today, that the work I do isn't challenging enough and decide to just stay home for the next two weeks, there would undoubtedly be consequences.

Pretty close to what I try to impress on my students (and kids). School isn't just about academics. Heck, I haven't used Alegbra/Calc/Trig since then. The point of learning the math, isn't the key aspect. Learning math like that, restructures the thought processes of the developing mind. THAT's the important part.

Some say it's sanctioned brainwashing. Maybe it is. But (mostly) students successful in school, learn how to perform better in the real world. They learn proper thought patterns, social skills, etc.

Students (gifted or not) who don't do the work or simply skip, end up lacking important critical thinking skills. They also lack in the area of intuitive proactivity and acceptable reactivity.

I can't count how many kids I see every day who think that they deserve stuff they haven't earned. It's not a free world and EVERYTHING has a cost. Most of it's not a financial cost.

Kids that don't do well in school are not able to adapt throughout life. They get more narrow minded and end up thinking it's because of other people they don't have what they want.

Sad, but too many different studies over the past few hundred years all came to the same conclusion.

strommsarnac said:
Pretty close to what I try to impress on my students ...

strommsarnac said:
Having been through retail management ...

How dare you post two coherent messages supported with logic, thoughtful consideration and actual hands-on experience in the subject matter at hand!

That's it, the social order on this board is completely breaking down...

:lol:

~DT

It's up to the f#cking parents to watch their kids, not the stores. It's like you'd ban a fat kid to buy candy because he's not healthy!!

Elfman said:
It's up to the f#cking parents to watch their kids, not the stores. It's like you'd ban a fat kid to buy candy because he's not healthy!!

Unfortunately there are a lot of parents who don't watch their kids. It's easier to buy them a bunch of video games so they don't have to actually talk to the kids.

I would be irritated if this person asked me to provide proof that my kids earned a video game if I were there to buy one. I would tell him to "take a flying f#uck at a rolling doughnut"; but the principle is right on target. Too many parents don't give a damn.

Woah.. my thread was actually rather popular.. o.0

And what's even more surprising is there's 5 pages of reasonably on-topic chat, I'm quite amazed wiichat, well done =]

I agree that what this guy is doing is good intentioned, and also agree that it's just not the right thing to do. Although, I highly recommend some of you go back to school to at least learn how to run a spell check before you post something about education. FireFox offers a spell check for anything you type or post online through it's web browser!:ciappa:

my opinion....i think he's risking alot. First off, he's losing business b/c very few are going to go through the trouble of bringing parents and/or report cards when they can just go to another game store. The bigger problem is that when his store's results go down, he'll have HIS manager to deal with. I like where he's going, its just not the BEST way to do it.

Back