graphics are overrated

Sovieto said:
actually that happens because there are such realistic blur effects its as though you are actually turning your head in that game, try walking around for a hour the way youd walk around in a FPS. youre not the only one to have gotten a headache from this.
but
graphics are overrated you say?
then how come the best selling and most popular platform is a graphic powerhouse?

The ps2 last gen, Wii this gen.

I don't think graphics are overated bth. But yeah I think it wasjust the effects and blur's that give you a headache.

Cpt.McCloud said:
The ps2 last gen, Wii this gen.

I don't think graphics are overated bth. But yeah I think it wasjust the effects and blur's that give you a headache.
yah but i think its tacky that the wii just went for shitty graphics from the get go, ps2 at least had the best graphics, or on the level of best graphics, when it came out. but graphics are always nice, there always needs to be a console being a graphic powerhouse or else it wouldnt even feel like the new gen is anything.

Sovieto said:
yah but i think its tacky that the wii just went for shitty graphics from the get go, ps2 at least had the best graphics, or on the level of best graphics, when it came out. but graphics are always nice, there always needs to be a console being a graphic powerhouse or else it wouldnt even feel like the new gen is anything.

Graphics on the wii are not that bad, look on the visuals of metroid and super mario galexy.

Sure, you dont need graphics to be a best selling console even tho they can be nice.

From what we have seen, we are paying for the extra power, thats why the wii is cheap and has some great games based across the board.

But yeah, the 360 is a great console.

Cpt.McCloud said:
Graphics on the wii are not that bad, look on the visuals of metroid and super mario galexy.

Sure, you dont need graphics to be a best selling console even tho they can be nice.

From what we have seen, we are paying for the extra power, thats why the wii is cheap and has some great games based across the board.

But yeah, the 360 is a great console.
the graphics are okay for the style of games nintendo releases but its last gen graphic, they sell people last gen hardware with an easily created controller. if it wasnt for their intuitiveness the'yd just be a huge scam house.

Cpt.McCloud said:
Um yea..... Which console is the Wii on par with graphically? How much does a reg xbox cost now? The Wii is not much cheaper than a 360 yet the 360 is insanely better graphically. Then with the controller price, yea... It offsets it.

Every system has good games though. If it weren't for the Nintendo franchises there is no way I would've gotten a Wii.

StevenNevets said:
Um yea..... Which console is the Wii on par with graphically? How much does a reg xbox cost now? The Wii is not much cheaper than a 360 yet the 360 is insanely better graphically. Then with the controller price, yea... It offsets it.

Every system has good games though. If it weren't for the Nintendo franchises there is no way I would've gotten a Wii.

There is too much mario...

Way to much mario.

Cpt.McCloud said:
There is too much mario...

Way to much mario.
So what is left? 1st party is mostly mario, 2nd party is decent, 3rd party is meh.
Graphics are bad or only on par with last-gen, online is meh.

The controllers are the only thing, certainly a big thing but everything else really lacks.

StevenNevets said:
So what is left? 1st party is mostly mario, 2nd party is decent, 3rd party is meh.
Graphics are bad or only on par with last-gen, online is meh.

The controllers are the only thing, certainly a big thing but everything else really lacks.

Worse then last gen graphics, my friend the wii has better graphics then last gen, check out all the specs if you want.

1st party nintendo can be good, zelda and such.

2nd is ok

3rd can suck and can be good.

graphics are overrated!!!

crysis_esp1.jpg

Crysis.jpg

(Only a complete idiot would say such a thing. the wii cant even handle some of the simplest elements of next gen games)

mrpiddly said:
graphics are overrated!!!

crysis_esp1.jpg

Crysis.jpg

(Only a complete idiot would say such a thing. the wii cant even handle some of the simplest elements of next gen games)

May i remind you that Crysis is PC vista only dx10.

It is also an amazing game:lol:

I need to get a good enough pc for that game alone.

Howdy Folks!

It's completely dependent on the game genre, art direction, and other elements. While I believe there's a minimum "floor" that has continued to escalate (I'm certainly glad we had Mario Sunshine on the GC, and that it was much graphically interesting than an 8-bit Mario), I don't believe a game has to push the graphic envelope to be fun.

Mario Galaxy, Zelda, MP8 and even Metroid that matter have graphics that work well with the design and subject matter.

Cell based animation (which I happen to think is an amazing style) in PS2games like Okami are easily handled by the hardware and amazingly fun to play.

If you want to talk about games grounded in reality, or "action reality" like any of the commando type titles (with our without aliens or mutants :D ), I guess it's a bit more immersive. We were playing Resistance: Fall of Man on the PS3 (on a pretty optimized display and audio system here at home), and after about 15-20 minutes, the quality of the graphics had subsided, and the game got good/bad/indifferent on the story/mechanics, and while it was fun in two player mode, it wasn't any more fun than less graphically advanced PS2 games of the same style.

I guess I get over the "eye candy" pretty quickly (having been in the computer industry for 20+ years, I don't really get amazed by much) and fall back on entertainment. I (we, the wifey too) enjoy games with simple game mechanics, interesting storylines and original presentation.

Part of my problem, admittedly, is working on a PC for hours at a time, I find the simple game models that the Wii uses, and the controller a welcome break.

YMMV.

~DT

thats not the point of it. He believes that graphics are at their current maximum level with prey and shouldnt be pushed any further.

I think that in the future we get graphics that are real-life ;)

But I agree with [DT] when you first play a title the graphics are great! But after an hour or 2 or when you saw all the amazing things the next-gen title offers on graphics you look past them. And than theres only game-play left.

unless the entire game depends on the graphic/game engine like many are starting to. Bendable vegitation that makes noise and alerts the enemy is just one example. Or how almost any building can be blown up to be used as cover, look for BFBC which has a really good looking demo of that.

Bfbc_scans.jpg

*originally a handheld gamer*

Yeah....graphics don't matter..

@ sovieto. the wii just passed the 360 in sales, both profit margins and units.

Back