Hardwired connection

It also helps when you pay for your own internet and router, and don't try to mooch off the neighbors' internet ;-) LOL
They should stop being so cheap and get the high-end connection lol. I couldn't use my neighbor's connection if I wanted; they're out of range.apGE - I'll post how I do with the hardwired connection...the piece should arrive in a few days.

It also helps when you pay for your own internet and router, and don't try to mooch off the neighbors' internet ;-) LOL

Yes Tampa, we alllll know I use my neighbors wifi. Good job pointing out the bleeding obvious though.

They should stop being so cheap and get the high-end connection lol. I couldn't use my neighbor's connection if I wanted; they're out of range.apGE - I'll post how I do with the hardwired connection...the piece should arrive in a few days.
Luckily, mine are in range :D They actually used our wifi for over a year so im not that worried about it. My lag didnt even change much. Its only been the last month or so, where more than two melees are required. Been using neighbors wifi for longer than a month. Look forward to the results of your experiment!!!

Well, the USB hardwire device arrived yesterday and I was able to try it out some last night and this morning. It seems like everything is responding better with it...fewer mutuals, kill more quickly, haven't had to melee anyone more than twice, no delayed response when pressing buttons. My speed tests were just a bit lower with the wired connection and I don't seem to have any more of a connection advantage, as I will still get shot ducking for cover or before I can see a player. I'd say it was worth it, though, just for the more consistent gameplay.

I hooked up my hardwire yesterday and have been playing a good bit the last two days. According to my speedtest, there does seem to be a SMALL increase in my download per second, but the upload is the same. The ping is now consistently 45, instead of 45 about half the time and 95 or higher the other half. My wii was already next to the router so I didn't expect much of an improvement, but then again that seems like the only practical circumstance for a hardwired connection anyway.

As far as the play experience... I don't know. It's weird - some games it does seem genuinely better, but others feels like the same old hat. I will say that hosting has been more "manageable" since I've been using it than it was in the past. The freezes are a bit more frequent, maybe 3 on average per night instead of 1; not excessive, but noticeable.

I think if I really wanted to improve my connection in a significant way I would spend a chunk of money for a better router and/or a higher bandwidth from my internet provider. As a low cost option the USB hookup is about all there is, and it's not much to be honest. But it is something.

The weird lag has finally worked to my advantage :D yesterday i survived a 2 melee attack and killed the guy (with melee) and also survived 2 proxies. I have never had that happen before. lol.

After spending more time with it, I can now say without a doubt that the wired connection has improved my performance in game. Bad lag almost never happens anymore, except when it's a poor host (then everyone gets it anyway). Not sure if it will be the same with everyone, but it definitely helps for me.

After spending more time with it, I can now say without a doubt that the wired connection has improved my performance in game. Bad lag almost never happens anymore, except when it's a poor host (then everyone gets it anyway). Not sure if it will be the same with everyone, but it definitely helps for me.
I've had the same experience since switching over. I've only been in a couple matches with bad lag and it seemed like everyone was suffering those matches.

... Interesting

Just curious if anyone uses the USB hardwired Internet connection on their Wii and how much difference it makes playing online vs the wifi.
I bought the LAN adapter a week ago and my lagginess has cut in 1/2 already, although my wii tends to freeze a little more often now, BUT it doesn't matter since my connection is almost "diamond" like BUT only when I'm hosting, and it also helps to change your wii's MTU.

Later, hope this helps.

Wow...if only I had an internet connection closer to my TV, it might be worth investing in! Oh well...

Wow...if only I had an internet connection closer to my TV, it might be worth investing in! Oh well...

An overly long ethernet connection would still improve the lag, however slightly. 'Specially if your Wii has to go through walls t' communicate with the router.

An overly long ethernet connection would still improve the lag, however slightly. 'Specially if your Wii has to go through walls t' communicate with the router.

Yeah, I would need more than 50 feet, though. :-(

You could buy a REALLY long Ethernet cable and snake it through the house. Imagine the fun you'd have trying to explain it to your wife! :lol:

I don't think she'd mind as much. It is more just an inconvenience to me!

Back