HD TV - any difference?

Imagine paint by numbers. An unpainted picture has all of the detail/resolution just the color is missing. Adding color to it only changes the picture slightly.

This is similar to TV signals. Almost all of the picture information is included on the black and white portion of the signal and then the color is sort of painted on top of it afterwards.

That is why the improvement between svideo and interlaced component will be minor. You might be able to see it since your TV is big enough but I wouldn't fret.

Gee seems this one caused some good input!

Ok, i have a 32in Philips HD ready blah blah lcd TV. I was using the standard cables that came wtih the Wii.

I have bought some off the shelf ebay HD cables, dont know if they are component cables etc as mentioned above. I will give an honest opinion if the £15 spent was worthile - i suspect it wont be, but at least i will of freed up a connection slot at the back of my TV for my video cam, so its not all bad!

I have defo noticed a difference - the text on Tiger Woods is a lot clearer (before distinguishing between 6 and 8 was tricky).

The picture is a lot sharper

ciper said:
The transport does not define the payload. It would be like a post I recently saw on the forum that said "torrents are illegal"

Which idiot said that?

NB - torrents aren't illegal.

it's the sharing of copyrighted content that is illegal!

----

Next!

Component isn't HD? ... so that's why a SKY HD box uses 'em?

OK ^^

The wii isn't HD it's ED

---

Xbox Elite only saw fit to put HDMI in as an option, to keep up with sony and fact some people may be using their component jack for another use ^^. Microsoft even said it themselves 'HDMI is not required for gaming' - NB Xbox Elite actually comes with the HDMI cable... unlike the PS3.

---

HDMI is pretty cool though... it shares both the video signal and the audio signal... some types of encoded DVDs will not play with it (video but no audio) - so it does have bad points!

---

The wii component cables are a good buy. i've got a 32" LCD HD TV and using composite i got this weird, almost, fluffy-ness... but the component cables sorted it out (Y) also the wiimote would jump about with RGB... but it doesn't with the components =S

Ha, ok. Component is not HD, its higher quality but its not HD. Sony wasnt BSing, it really is true HD with HDMI.

Of course Microsoft said that, none of their games are in 1080p.

paintba||er said:

Component is HD. 720p and 1080i are HD, not just 1080p.
1080i and 1080P are the exact same resolution ... just different transmissions.

The only reason this guy is acting like a jerk is to get me to respond. >.>; He's interested in my car. Ignore him..

LuzTeTT said:
1080i and 1080P are the exact same resolution ... just different transmissions.

The only reason this guy is acting like a jerk is to get me to respond. >.>; He's interested in my car. Ignore him..

1. I agreed with you that component cables look great especially in progressive mode.
2. Never mentioned 1080 in any of my posts
3. I originally sent PM's back and forth to the wrong person about the car because it was posted in their profile. They finally told me it was you and I sent you a PM. I didn't even remember you from this thread.

I had no hard feelings for you. I was interested in your car yes because I have its younger brother (american 350gt). I thought a fellow car enthusiast would be glad to talk shop. Seeing your attitude makes me think you are younger than my first guess. I doubt its your car.

Too many modifications are is missing. It is straight BS that you are running even half your quoted HP (at the crank or wheels) with the modifications listed.

Where are the hardened internals? Head gasket? Octane? Nitrous and injectors? If I could find the list again I would point out everything thats missing. I especially like how you included your glowing shift knob - those add at least 50HP!

I say you are a bullshitter. Show me a dyno sheet and Ill take it all back.

The shitty thing is that I thought we could get along well. I feel cheated. I took effort to ask you about the car and come to find out you are just a lying asshole.

Edit: For now I will show you how wrong your 1080i vs 1080p statement is.
Bandwith limitations have forced 1080p to standardize on a max framerate of only 30fps. 1080i has a maximum 60 FPS. There is no standard in effect for 1080p60 so devices currently do not support it.

An image of 1080p 2,073,600 active pixels. A feild of 1080i has only 1036800 (half) because of interlacing.

So the difference is double the resolution at half the FPS or twice the FPS at half the resolution.

LuzTeTT said:
if you look up resolutions and high-definition, you'll soon learn that our brain can only comprehend so much....
Indeed...

Last edited:
ciper said:
An image of 1080p 2,073,600 active pixels. A feild of 1080i has only 1036800 (half) because of interlacing.

So the difference is double the resolution at half the FPS or twice the FPS at half the resolution.

Source? I never knew this... why would they call it 1080P? Why don't they call it 2080P or 2070P? o_O;

Still ... HD, as people have posted, is 720P or higher...
And as I said, I really don't understand why it's called 1080P if it's DOUBLE the resolution. That makes no sense!

I can understand 1080i losing some of the transmission for interlacing, ... but I can't comprehend 1080P doubling the resolution because of its transmission.

Please explain it to me... -.-'

And as for your little car problem ... I don't care. I don't like Americans and their silly cars because of people like you. I don't even feel like attempting to argue about it. Keep going on about it, I don't care. >.>;

LuzTeTT said:
Source? I never knew this... why would they call it 1080P? Why don't they call it 2080P or 2070P? o_O;
It wasn't my original source but this simplifies it l
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i#1080i_vs_1080p

Still ... HD, as people have posted, is 720P or higher...
And as I said, I really don't understand why it's called 1080P if it's DOUBLE the resolution. That makes no sense!

I can understand 1080i losing some of the transmission for interlacing, ... but I can't comprehend 1080P doubling the resolution because of its transmission.
For example nearly all older console games like the NES or Genesis or even the playstation output a 320x224 signal. This shows up on your 480i screen just fine but the pixel count is pretty low

And as for your little car problem ... I don't care. I don't like Americans and their silly cars because of people like you. I don't even feel like attempting to argue about it. Keep going on about it, I don't care. >.>;
If for example we both owned a Nissan with the same engine how is my car silly and yours not

Last edited:
GamerCon said:
Of course Microsoft said that, none of their games are in 1080p.

really?

what about Virtua Tennis 3, and some EA "street" basket ball game?
plus more to come no doubt.

it's all bollocks anyway.

Wii @ 480p/60fps looks very nice
Xbox360 @ 720p/60fps looks even nicer

the 360 games which support 1080p will only "be" 30fps max.

i'd prefer 720p @ 60fps every time.

FR3344LL said:
really?

what about Virtua Tennis 3, and some EA "street" basket ball game?
plus more to come no doubt.

it's all bollocks anyway.

Wii @ 480p/60fps looks very nice
Xbox360 @ 720p/60fps looks even nicer

the 360 games which support 1080p will only "be" 30fps max.

i'd prefer 720p @ 60fps every time.

Agreed. Not that I am afraid of 1080P ... I'd definitally like it for high definition movies ... but gaming, I'm not too sure.
I'm suprised with the quality level of 480P - 720P must really own. I unfortunately don't have any media that outputs 720P ... the maximum I've ever seen is 576P.

If BlueRay cheapens down and becomes a big success, I might invest my soul in a BlueRay player. Just for the HD movies ... but, will all the classic videos (example, Super Mario Bros. Super Show) be converted to BlueRay? I know the media won't be high definition ... but I only want one DVD/BlueRay player (maybe even a device that does HD DVD and BlueRay in one)... you know, seeing as all my old DVDs of my favourite animes are made available or will scale up or something ... without quality loss, of course.

ciper said:
It wasn't my original source but this simplifies it l
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i#1080i_vs_1080p

For example nearly all older console games like the NES or Genesis or even the playstation output a 320x224 signal. This shows up on your 480i screen just fine but the pixel count is pretty low

After you've removed my name from your post, PM me with further sarcasm... I don't want to risk a no-posting ban.

Last edited:
I assumed you frequented the Woolworths in Darwin which is near Smith st but actually a block over on Cavenagh & Whitfield.

Post edited.

I really thought you owned the car at first because Australia has so many grey market japanese models. I've never been to Darwin but I have spent alot of time in Manley NSW

Last edited:
Off topic! >.<

ciper said:
I assumed you frequented the Woolworths in Darwin which is near Smith and Knuckey st. Post edited.

No, not that one. I thought you were American ... ? Are you Googling my city? >.<

Back