HD TV - any difference?

Off topic... >.<

ciper said:
I looked it up on the woolworths australia website. Thought you still lived in Darwin. Wasn't that your summer job?

Hmm.. cool.
I live in Darwin .. always have. It's not my summer job, It's my JOB. Possibly career...

You may hate me for this but the three biggest reasons I like australia:

Japanese Cars
Chinese Girls
Nice beaches

It pisses me off that you get so many V8 AWD cars that aren't available here. Its just not fair.

Super off-topic.
ciper said:
You may hate me for this but the three biggest reasons I like australia:

Japanese Cars
Chinese Girls
Nice beaches

It pisses me off that you get so many V8 AWD cars that aren't available here. Its just not fair.

They are a standard, aren't they? Every country has different kinds of cars at different cui ... I'm sure your state (province?) has more Ferraris than we do in the entire country. Not that I'm interested in them or anything ...

I don't really think cars should be judged on the amount of cylinders they have or the drive-train ... a good car is a good car..
Besides, Australians make big deals of something called the "V8 Supercars" ... infact, it's on tommorow. All the employees at work didn't come today because they were going. Big whoop ... you're watching poorly modified fat cars drive around a track with the brakes tied down. That's freakin' awesome. >.>;
I don't know about the beaches ... they're okay, but ...
Chinese girls? ...
Okay.

I've never seen a V8 AWD in my life, though. My favourite AWD is a Subaru Impreza WRX ... Hardly a V8. o.o;

Why don't you come here, then? My family takes kindly to car enthusiasts, you can stay with me. =P
I'll vs you on GT Pro Series. xD

While my current favorite car is a Japanese built Subaru Liberty (legacy) I also really like the feeling of a large car with lots of low end torque and no turbo lag. We have absolutely zero AWD V8 cars and NO imported vehicles.

Whats worse is that the emissions standards stop you from making any worthwhile changes to the car. If you want power the car becomes unusable on public roads.

I buy a lot of parts for my project car from Australia because Subarus were not popular here at all until around 2002 when we got the first WRX. Right now I'm using breaks and suspension bits from an 02WRX modified to work on my Legacy :)

I will probably sell my Alcyone this weekend. Its the flat 6 (er27) and I don't have the time to work on it anymore. It even had the viscous center diff that was lockable electronically!

The beaches in AU are significantly better than what we have in the states :(
In the US there are 4 major type of Chinese girls
ABC
Taiwanese
Hongkees
Mainlanders

We have a HUUUUGGGGEEEE number of ABC and I find them mostly useless and annoying. Taiwanese are fun to hang with but usually aren't that good looking. Hongkees are way too materialistic and usually part crazy. Mainlanders from a big city are my favs and I noticed that Australia has a way higher percentage of them than here.
Does that make me racist? :lol:

Last edited:
ciper said:
While my current favorite car is a Japanese built Subaru Liberty (legacy) I also really like the feeling of a large car with lots of low end torque and no turbo lag. We have absolutely zero AWD V8 cars and NO imported vehicles.

Whats worse is that the emissions standards stop you from making any worthwhile changes to the car. If you want power the car becomes unusable on public roads.

I buy a lot of parts for my project car from Australia because Subarus were not popular here at all until around 2002 when we got the first WRX. Right now I'm using breaks and suspension bits from an 02WRX modified to work on my Legacy :)

I will probably sell my Alcyone this weekend. Its the flat 6 (er27) and I don't have the time to work on it anymore. It even had the viscous center diff that was lockable electronically!

We have absolutely zero AWD V8 cars and NO imported vehicles.

WHAT? That's crazy! Surely somewhere in the underground of your city, some crazy guy is burning his tyres in his newly imported Evo! >.< I mean c'mon, even if you live in a remote hillbilly town somewhere down ye olde west, somebody has to have an import. I thought there were no Italian muscle cars here ... boy was I wrong.

If you're so serious about it, just come here ... really... it might be a bit of money loss, but once you get a job and start saving you can work your way up and buy all the cars you couldn't have got over there.

Try telling that to any driver down here ... I don't even think my mother has a road worthy certificate.

Why don't you buy an American car?
Isn't America like that crappy car movie ... Fast and Furious ... why don't you go to what ever city that is, they had a lot of imports in that movie. If the underground is really like that in the U.S, then you guys are flamin' with imports. =P

LuzTeTT said:
We have absolutely zero AWD V8 cars and NO imported vehicles.

WHAT? That's crazy! Surely somewhere in the underground of your city, some crazy guy is burning his tyres in his newly imported Evo!
I meant imported by anyone but the car manufacturers. We get evo's and such but they are american specific models that are never as good as the original

Why don't you buy an American car?
Isn't America like that crappy car movie ... Fast and Furious ...
Oh america is WAY worse that F&F. Do you know what "RICE" means? There are more badly modified cars here than anywhere in the world.

America makes good large cars. The smaller cars are usually ****. One exception is the Neon SRT4. Better than any honda!

ciper said:
I meant imported by anyone but the car manufacturers. We get evo's and such but they are american specific models that are never as good as the original

Oh america is WAY worse that F&F. Do you know what "RICE" means? There are more badly modified cars here than anywhere in the world.

America makes good large cars. The smaller cars are usually ****. One exception is the Neon SRT4. Better than any honda!

Way worse? Heh..
America = Ricer country.
Sweet... as if I didn't already think that. Lol.

LuzTeTT said:
Way worse? Heh..
America = Ricer country.
Sweet... as if I didn't already think that. Lol.
Its true man. RICE doesnt necessarily mean japanese cars either. You wouldn't believe how many riced out Chevy Cavaliers I see (the shittiest small car they have EVER made).

Usually the mods include tons of vinyl stickers, LED washer nozzles and a huge wing to provide downforce on a FWD car :lol: Don't even get me started on the Fartcan exhausts most of them have :sick:

Don't you think its lame we had to wait until 2002 to get a WRX?

ciper said:
Its true man. RICE doesnt necessarily mean japanese cars either. You wouldn't believe how many riced out Chevy Cavaliers I see (the shittiest small car they have EVER made).

Usually the mods include tons of vinyl stickers, LED washer nozzles and a huge wing to provide downforce on a FWD car :lol: Don't even get me started on the Fartcan exhausts most of them have :sick:

Don't you think its lame we had to wait until 2002 to get a WRX?

LOL! LED WASHER NOZZLES!!!!!!
Fart exhausts ... there a few here ... you rarely get one that's actually a turboed downpipe... heavy pipes though, really big ****. When I hear them I expect a blow off sound or I'll attack the driver. >.<
Fortunately, I haven't heard one for a while. Working a little too hard and paying a lot of attention to my girlfriend...

I guess it's pretty unfortunate that you get it later than us ... it may even be a faker American model, too. That's really irritating. >.<; I doubt I could go there... I'll be staying in the PAL regions for all of my life. I won't even go there for holidays. Actually, I might go there to kill someone, but.........

Geroge Bush is a very nice person. =]

LuzTeTT said:
You have inferior eyes.

Yes, it makes an amazing difference. I strongly suggest getting the component cables and running your games in progressive.

Graphics look as good as the other consoles in 1080i... o_O;

That isnt possible. Because it's 480p. Which is FAR from 1080i. Maybe you saw a PS3 that was running on a TV that was incompatible with 1080i so it downgraded to 480p.

720p is better than 1080i, just so you know...

I have an 32" HD tv, and the picture is clear enough with the regular composite cables.

I have my ps2 on component cables too, it only made a big difference for movies.

bsilver said:
720p is better than 1080i, just so you know...

I have an 32" HD tv, and the picture is clear enough with the regular composite cables.

I have my ps2 on component cables too, it only made a big difference for movies.

720p is only better for movement. Still images are still better in 1080i

I have a 36 inch CRT HDTV and the picture was noticeably better when switching to progressive component.

I have component cables on my PS2 and found there is a small percentage of games that enable progressive scan.

ciper said:

I have a 36 inch CRT HDTV and the picture was noticeably better when switching to progressive component.

I have component cables on my PS2 and found there is a small percentage of games that enable progressive scan.

...I was about to type all of that...

And this:

I also have a 32" LCD HDTV ... I think it just hates interlaced. =\
Is it possible for a television to upconvert to progressive scan because its native resolution is 1366x768p?
...That would destroy an interlaced image, right?

Just ran a component cable RGB to my Themescene projector and even at 480p it is so much better. OK so it is not HD but still 10x better. We are talking a screen size of about 72" x 48"
Cannot get surround sound to work though, only getting stereo using the two phono plugs that came with the Wii lead. :sick:

ciper said:

Well, we are talking about video games, which is movement. And yes, I know, not all ps2 games have progressive scan. However I do notice a sharper picture and the text on some games is much easier to read.

Funny, my hdtv is also Crt...it's like...HYBRID between the lcd and conventional crt/tube hehe.

In the end, I dont think i'll be buying component cables for the wii. man, imagine if it did have 1080i...i would buy it even if it was another 100 bucks.

I have no problem shelling out $20 to make the picture crisper.

And in reference to the earlier bickering. A component cable is considered an HD cable regardless of its use.

Back