hdmi cable for wii!!

wiijunkie

WiiChat Member
Jan 15, 2007
Virginia Beach
okay not really, but yeah....kind of? I just bought a denon avr 887 reciever (badass) One of it's features is video upconverting. It takes every input from dvd players, cable boxes, and yes the Wii from s video and component and upgrades them to hdmi out. You of course need to buy the cable but it doesn't need to be made for the Wii. I was excited and wanted to let someone know!

just wanted the best connection I could get. My tv says that it is coming in at 1080i but I think thats because I'm using the hdmi cable

the best connection you'll get for the Wii is using the component cables directly for 480p.
Anything else is inferior for the Wii. Having a device upscale loses quality in the process, sticking it onto an HDMI cable does nothing to improve quality.

yeah, all that lets you do is just make it so only one cable is needed to connect into you tv.. i have the same thing with components from my receiver.. though it is nice because the same channel is used for all video inputs

out of interest, can you set the box to give out the actual resolution?

so set it to keep putting wii out at 480p? whilst switching to xbox would go to 720p/1080i if you wanted?

i got a component switchbox, and was looking for something of a higher quality, i was in a rush so got a fairly cheap thing on ebay..

Component cables straight to the television are going to give you the best picture. Don't waste money trying to use HDMI cables or external upconverters.

i dont think anyone is going to buy a new game system just because they 'want 1080'

(unless its the n64.......bad joke i know)

anyway i have an xbox 360, and i know a direct connection will always be the most reliable. thing is, i only have one component input on my tv, thats why i was asking about this thing

You kind of answered the question yourself...the receiver is just 'upconverting'...basically doubling the number of lines going to your tv by repeating the information on the previous line. This may smooth out some jagged edges but the Wii still won't be outputting in 480p, the option isn't even available unless you are using component cables. If you're really worried about not having enough inputs, they sell dedicated game system switchers for $100-$200 depending on the number/type of inputs you need.

Basically, upconverting anything is like 'faking' the higher resolution...if you already bought the receiver, your best bet is to buy a set of Wii component cables and hook it into one of the component inputs of your receiver. That way the Wii is outputting in it's highest resolution AND upconverting...the best of both worlds!

Back