HELP Wii AC adapter noise/ Video static

franlib

WiiChat Member
Dec 11, 2015
Argentina
I live in a country with 220v, and without thought I connected my 110v Wii into the wall. Needless to say, the AC adapter did a loud noise and started smelling like burned plastic. Afterwards, I borrowed my cousin's AC adapter, connected it to my Wii and a 220v to 110v transformer. It did work, but now when I turn on my Wii the AC adapter (my cousin's) makes a weird noise, like static, and the TV showcases the Wii video with video static. What could be the problem? Should I be worried?

I am unfortunately not an electrical engineer, but perhaps some'a the wires in the Wii were damaged, albeit not to the point of being unusable, like with the first AC adapter. Maybe the Wii isn't receiving enough power therefore and is struggling to output its image to the TV.

Does it work just fine on another TV? If the problem is consistent across different TVs, I would sincerely consider keeping a fire extinguisher on-hand, could be a fire hazard. Unplug the AC adapter whenever it's not in use, too.

Regardless, if you're using a NTSC-region Wii (from North America) on a PAL TV, this may be the issue with the image. Not only are games locked to their region, but I believe TVs are to an extent too. NTSC image outputs don't work so well on a PAL TV and vice verse. An NTSC TV may fix your video static problem therefore... maybe.

Back