Powering a US Wii abroad

banjoken

WiiChat Member
Feb 2, 2009
On a US WII AC adapter it reads Input: AC 120V 53W 60Hz

My question is i plan to travel abroad to places where the voltage is 220v (50hz), i have a stepdown transformer (220v>>120v) but from what i know it does not convert the frequency (hz). So would having 50hz be okay for the US WII even though on the AC adapter it says 60hz? Has anyone tried powering a US wii in europe/asia with a stepdown transformer?

thanks a lot in advance.

The safest thing to do is to buy a psu specific to the country that you are taking your Wii to. There have been more than a few reports of secondary step down transformers failing and melting the psu.

i think you can just order a replacement power brick.
the power brick outputs are the same, but the replacement brick should be ordered as a 220v brick.

then the only issue you may have is pal/ntsc

Hey, yeah I'm in the exact same position. A US wii in an 220 volt region. The step-down transformer be fine to get the right power input (120) into your wii power cord. The difference is hertz does not matter to you. Because the hz specification only deals w/ frequencies needed to keep clocks and other time-sensitive stuff running right, the only thing it might change is the time displayed on your wii. The power conversion is what you need to focus on, and the transformer you have should do the trick. Of course you can always by wii power cord specific to the volt usage in whatever region you're in (for example, I'm in Europe, so I might get an EU wii power cord that accepts 100-240 volts...it still puts out 12 volts just the same as a US one does).

That's the easy part though. It's the NTSC/PAL crap you have to deal w/ then...unless you brought a TV with you from the States...

Back