I am curious, with most of the popular emulators working on the Wii why use VC?

Wiinter said:
Fair use got killed by the DMCA.

As for ripping CDs you own, well, stupid as it is, that's not legal either. They were pushing about a year ago to legalize it in the UK (since everyone does it anyway--with the best of intentions), but I don't know what became of that.

There was a recent Roms exception to the DMCA ruled on by some regulatory agency that made them legal to have in some cases, for archival purposes, but the very presence of a system like Wii that allows those games to be played nixes the archival exception (you can keep roms for archival purposes when the hardware necessary to play them is no longer reasonably available).

Thats what i thought thats why i stopped using roms when the wii came out because they could be purchased and played on a system that still works reliably. Now that the games can be sold to the masses and played easily then there is no reason to use a rom and no reason for it to be legal.

I guess to be fair you could say that games that are not available to download for the VC can still be emulated but once they come out it is illegal to use that rom.

miiguy said:
Furry Muff, you got me. I'll hand myself into the authoroties as soon as possible. (if that was your point?)

I'm very aware what I do is illegal, my point is I don't care, as I already paid the full price for all the games I have on my emulator, granted that might have been 10-15 years ago, but they had my money. I just make up a lame ass excuse to amuse, but some people seem to think I'm serious

If people want to pay for VC go for it, knock yourself out.
Me personally in life see "free" as a great word
That is what I mean to a point, but you don't have to turn yourself in, personally, I have an R4 for my DS and download ROMS to play on my DS, so yes, I myself do my share of obtaining pirated material

You are right, free is a great word, as a matter of fact my favorite computer software is bit torrent, which is basically a gateway to pirating (let's hope "The_Loose_Cannon" dosen't see this, lol), i'm just not willing to risk to lose something because of an action I did, for example, I don't want to chip my Wii becasue I heard the Nintendo bricks Wiis with modchips, and i don't want that to happen, I don't want to put the work into forming a working Wii channel emulator/ROM on my Wii when I could risk losing my Wii altogether, so I pay the $5~$10 for a gameon VC
ciper said:
You're doing it wrong. It's called GameFly
It dosen't matter where you get the game/movie, he is not wrong, he is just using a different company

Blockbuster, Family Video, Gamefly, some local rental places, some other video and game online rental has games you can rent, what we ment about is if you take something and you don't pay for it, even though you are going to return it, dosen't mean it's not theft, quite the contrary as a matter of fact

What Nintendo should do is somehow create a channel shell where, as long as it's somehow paid for (or not paid for with some hack), the games that can't make it to the VC can be somehow obtainable and legally used on the Wii, it would be hard, but if a way is found out, everybody's happy, except for the people who demand it free, then, good luck, I don't know and don't want to know

The biggest farkup so far is how Nintendo designed the Wii. Right now thieves benefit most because the homebrew people can't figure out how to get code running in Wii mode. They have to develop everything in the limited GC environment. Even with the limitation some pretty amazing apps are being writting like a port of quake and even a DVD player!

The average age of this board is in the mid teens and that is why there is so much hostility towards a mod chip. They can't seem to understand that you are not automatically a pirate once one is installed. If someone pushes me on this issue I have a picture of my PS2 game collection to share, all of which are retail purchased games even though my PS2 is modified with a chip and an HD.

Once th GC only problem is overcome expect to see many more cool apps for the Wii.

Wiinter said:
Fair use got killed by the DMCA.

As for ripping CDs you own, well, stupid as it is, that's not legal either. They were pushing about a year ago to legalize it in the UK (since everyone does it anyway--with the best of intentions), but I don't know what became of that.
your only breaking the DMCA if the cd has copy protection and you circumvent it and now the big record labels have learned that DRM'd CDS wont fly. i havent bought a DRM'd Cd ever.

Back