I am curious, with most of the popular emulators working on the Wii why use VC?

Napalmbrain said:
$10 for a SNES game? The 3DO and Jaguar were "legendary"? What are you smoking? :crazy:

No comment not in the mood. Read the post my friend...

miiguy said:
Ahhh, but I'm not stealing. :wink:

Picture a computer shop, I walk in, pick up a game of the shelf, walk out with it, take it home, play it, then take it back to the shop and put it back on the shelf. :ciappa:

Not techinally "stealing" as the game remains in the same place for someone else to do the same. :yesnod:

I'm glad they're people like yourself who are willing to be ripp... sorry pay for these 8 bit wonders as then people like me can keep not paying for them. You see being an mid/old fart, I paid my dues by paying full price for these games when they originally came out, so I've already paid my dues to Nintendo :cool:

One question I have is, before the Wii and VC, didn't anyone in here have an emulator or a PC?. :wtf:

Some people are making VC sound like the second coming.:shocked:
Picture a computer shop, I walk in, pick up a game of the shelf, walk out with it, take it home, play it, then take it back to the shop and put it back on the shelf. :ciappa:
So you walk out of the store with the game without paying for it? That right there is theft, it dosen't matter if you return it, that is still theft

Put it this way, let's say I go to blockbuster, look on the shelf and say "hmm...I like this game/movie, I guess i'll take it", and I walk out of blockbuster with the game/movie without checking out, i'm still going to return it, but I just didn't check out, well, I may be returning it, but that dosen't make it legal not to pay for a rental, so even though i'm going to return it, i'm still stealing it

Have you ever heard of they saying "I didn't steal it, I just borrowed it without asking"? We all know that saying is BS, but guess who just said that (using different words)? Yep, you did miiguy

or you could just buy games and support the only gaming company that has not sold out on making games that are about gaming and not about graphics and impressing the masses. thats just my feelings

then dont complain about the games costing to much just hook your old systems and play them then but if you want to play them on your wii you should buy them. just because you buy a VHS does not mean you are entitled to a free DVD of the same movie to play in your DVD player. stealing is wrong no matter how you try to bend it.

You get an A for effort but the analogy is flawed. A rom is an EXACT copy of the cartridge in my closet, a DVD offers higher resolution and extra features the VHS didn't have. The emulator does not use code licensed by Nintendo. The ModChip doesnt either.

Running an emulator on my Wii to play a game that I already own is NOT against the law.

Edit: I just thought of a more accurate analogy. I own a copy of Daft Punks Homework CD. I can insert the CD and let Itunes copy the song to my IPod. The ipod is using an "image" of the song and emulating the functions of a CD player. Not illegal as long as I own the CD.

Last edited:
hum i am going to do some research on this... because you have made me rethink my reasoning that does not happen often because if you are correct then i will shut it haha. I still will buy the vc games because i dont mind paying the small amount of money, but i wont call it stealing if people use emulators on their wii or computer.

gamechaser001 said:
So you walk out of the store with the game without paying for it? That right there is theft, it dosen't matter if you return it, that is still theft

Put it this way, let's say I go to blockbuster, look on the shelf and say "hmm...I like this game/movie, I guess i'll take it", and I walk out of blockbuster with the game/movie without checking out, i'm still going to return it, but I just didn't check out, well, I may be returning it, but that dosen't make it legal not to pay for a rental, so even though i'm going to return it, i'm still stealing it

Have you ever heard of they saying "I didn't steal it, I just borrowed it without asking"? We all know that saying is BS, but guess who just said that (using different words)? Yep, you did miiguy

Furry Muff, you got me. I'll hand myself into the authoroties as soon as possible. :yesnod: (if that was your point?)

I'm very aware what I do is illegal, my point is I don't care, as I already paid the full price for all the games I have on my emulator, granted that might have been 10-15 years ago, but they had my money. I just make up a lame ass excuse to amuse, but some people seem to think I'm serious :shocked:

If people want to pay for VC go for it, knock yourself out.
Me personally in life see "free" as a great word

Last edited:
gamechaser001 said:

so what if i rent a game from blockbuster take it home copy it and take it back.

Belmont said:
hum i am going to do some research on this... because you have made me rethink my reasoning that does not happen often because if you are correct then i will shut it haha. I still will buy the vc games because i dont mind paying the small amount of money, but i wont call it stealing if people use emulators on their wii or computer.

yeah you need to research "Fair Use"

Earthworm Jim said:
yeah you need to research "Fair Use"

Fair use got killed by the DMCA.

As for ripping CDs you own, well, stupid as it is, that's not legal either. They were pushing about a year ago to legalize it in the UK (since everyone does it anyway--with the best of intentions), but I don't know what became of that.

There was a recent Roms exception to the DMCA ruled on by some regulatory agency that made them legal to have in some cases, for archival purposes, but the very presence of a system like Wii that allows those games to be played nixes the archival exception (you can keep roms for archival purposes when the hardware necessary to play them is no longer reasonably available).

Earthworm Jim said:
so what if i rent a game from blockbuster take it home copy it and take it back.
I admit, I do that myself, but that too is aginst the law, it is only legal to copy something IF YOU OWN that property, for example, if i bought a DVD movie and wanted to copy it for personal use, like I want to make a backup so I don't scratch the original, that is legal, if you copy a DVD/CD and give it to a friend, that too is illegal, now if you make a family video (recording of vacations or other personal things), and you copy it and give it to friends, well, you made it, so it's legal, but did you make that game/movie you took? Nope

It isn't too hard to understand, if you don't know if something is legal or not, just google it

Back