I am curious, with most of the popular emulators working on the Wii why use VC?

tanooki said:
Or rather Re-make money?...Sorry I had to say that. I do totally agree with you though. Some games may not be worth the prices they are sold for but you also have to take into account games like Paper Mario(if and when it is released) will only be 10$,I just sold my N64 cart with no box or manuals for $40. Some games are hard to come by these days and Nintendo is just trying to let people who never had these games/systems,had them and no longer do or just can"t find them anywhere for a reasonable price the chance to play them. I'm sure you guys complaining have no problem spending $3 on a 10 second ringtone or $5 or more for a crappy game that you might only play for 2 minutes for your cell phone though.

I couldn't give a crap about ringtones and silly mobile phone games. Now can I have cheaper VC games?

Its still hard for some of you to believe that I own the games in question. I have more consoles than underwear and I dont want to have them all out in the open at once. A quick game of Streets Rage 3 using an emulator on the Wii would satisfy my urge.

The only games I intend on "stealing" are those that will never be available in the states like densha de go! Shnkansen EX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5KHXWx9PSU

Interesting? Yes.
I want free games? Hell yes.
Legal? Not as much =[

I show my support to Ninty by buying their games... Most of the time xD
Sometimes my DS homebrew tempts me a bit too much.

i dont care about what they are charging, i think the games are priced decent.

just wish they would bring out more of them or have the whole nes/snes/n64 library available for download

i don't feel like stealing games and putting my console in jeopardy of something happen either.... id be more then happy to pay the creator for the games i want which i think are well WORTH 5-10$

speaking of the classic mario selection... mario 2 and 3 for sure!!!!

there is many others id prefer also such as dr. mario and super mario kart.

but im sure there is a LONG wait as it ALWAYS is with nintendo so i might just end up buying a NES and SNES again, just having everythign on one system would be much easier.

gamechaser001 said:
I'm pretty sure Nintendo based their prices on the price of the typical used game from stores like gamestop, stores like gamestop/game crazy/EB Games/etc. usually charge $10~$17 for an N64 game cartridge, if the games on VC are overpriced, then the used games at gamestop and other game stores are overpriced, and I heard no complaint yet, if you aren't willing to pay $10 per game, sign up for something like gaming lagoon, if you don't want to do that, stop complaining

i agree if you think getting something like Zelda for 5 dollars is over priced then go buy on eBay for ten. or castlevenia for 5. hell ive seen SMB3 loose go for 30$ and 300$ sealed. if you think is over charging the buy the real think and stop your bitching.

The Plague said:
$10-$17 for an N64 cartridge? What kind of GameStop/EB/Game Crazy is that? $10-$17...Even some PS2 games cost less...You can get an old Xbox game/PS2 game for around $10-$20... (Lets say, GTA: 3 for example, or an outdated sports game, like NBA 2k3)

But yes, what Nintendo should do is lower these prices. Its ridiculous, really. $10 for an N64 game?....If you go to a local GameStop/EBGames or w/e store you go to, you can buy an N64 game for $4...(You might as well start playing your N64 again!!!)...And an SNES game for 50 cents - $1 .....If they even sell those anymore

I think the main reason games are so costly is because if games cost like 100, everybody would buy a lot of games and it would take up all their channels and Wii's memory..Also, not everybody can go around saying "Ah, I just got done playing Mario 64 on my Wii."

GAH! SORRY for the double post. Its that, when I went to post my first reply, the guy above me didn't post yet, then after I posted it, I had something to say about his post, so, I had to quote it so he'd know who i'm talking to.
you must not keep up with you gaming prices or you dont collect games. sure theres cheap games but those aren't games like Mario or Mario kart. ps2 games like GTA are cheap b/c there so common. you can walk in and its in there. you cant walk into a gamestop and pick up smb3 they would laugh at you. its how rare and how much the demand is for the game. smash brothers melee for the GCN goes for around 30$ used at Gamestop and game crazy.games that are like 2.99 or less are sports games.even psx games are cheaper sometimes bur cart games are always more expensive they always have been since gaming existed.

This is my last post here because I cannot get past the rediculous amount of ignorance so I will go out with a bang. And you may not even get to read this but WTF.

First of all WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! I feel to ripped off by Nintendo but I will still wait in line at the electronics depot to give them my $250 bucks. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! **** YOU!!!!!!!!!! Your ignorance is so blatant its not even funny. I'm sure you still think black men are taking your jobs and women too!!!!!!! Bangulo is absolutely right it all depends on the damn game. Yes some of the VC stuff is ****, who the **** cares dont download it!!!!!!!!

Nothing is free in this world, NOTHING!!!!!! Until you pampered little **** heads understand you are not owed a god damned thing from anyone you will not understand why someone like I or anyone else who actually makes a living gets pissed at you little bastards!!!!!!

Ciper read a ****en tech article every once in awhile!!!!!!!! Nintendo has actively tried to block the productin of mod chips and feverishly prosecutes any dumb mother ****er who copies their copywritten and patented products. Can anyone explain why Nintendo didn't want to switch from carts sooner to this dumbass!?!?!?!?!?!? (Oh and the SPM thing isn't an issue for us who decide against a ****en Mod).

Unless you can read multiple languages and enjoy off beat Japanese games what in the **** do you need region free play for? Wait your ****en turn. Yes it sucks in the UK you have to wait. But I would love for all Sony and Nintendo endevors to come out first in the U.S. BUT THEY DONT!!!!!!!!! Because of the need to localize a particular game or system you have to wait your turn. Otherwise move to ****en Japan if you hate waiting.

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO COPY GAMES FOR ARCHIVAL PURPOSES YOU DOLTS!!!!!!!!!! Only the manufacturer (or holder of the copyright or patent) can do that!!!!!!!!! You are stealing the game ADMIT IT!!! Admitting is the first step to recovery.

There will inevitably come a time in which Nintendo tries to stave off the pirated copies of their games (from mods or burned discs). When they do be prepaired for endless ****en updates that offer **** except for "security". Look at the PSP and how many updates are only for security. If you lazy, no job having, spoiled little ****s would stop feeling you are so entitled to something just because it was released already (ummm Nirvana's Bleach has already been released, I bought one copy, so I'm entitled to all future copies of the disc, WRONG). GOD DAMNED YOU BASTARDS!!!!!

And props to all who dont mind paying for quality entertainment.

Last edited:
sagema said:
If you're buying a $250 gaming system to steal games, when you can do the same thing on a computer, I think you failed the IQ test. If you want to steal games, get a computer. Since it's invention people have stolen scores of PC games, and have barely ever been punished.

The difference is the Wii may add in a update that turns your Wii into a brick for stealing. Just like the 360 with XBL. So before you rush into... You know what. Go ahead. Stupid people. I give up trying to give logic to theives.

People who use a mod chip know exactly what they are rushing into when they are holding a hot soldering gun over their $250 investment. Theoretically no regards to law. Someone buys a Wii + 5 games = $500+. Someone buys a Wii + Chip + 50pk DVD-R's + Nice Labels = $350. The person with a chip will likely have every game made (or at least ones that interest) That's easily $1000+ worth of games. So in the end that person can afford to just buy another Wii, and chip it again. It's just buying 5 games.

As for emulators, it's just a nice bonus to add to the capability to the Wii. I will vouch for saying it's stupid considering the gamecube controller is the god awful ugliest design by Nintendo.

The Plague said:
$10-$17 for an N64 cartridge? What kind of GameStop/EB/Game Crazy is that? $10-$17...Even some PS2 games cost less...You can get an old Xbox game/PS2 game for around $10-$20... (Lets say, GTA: 3 for example, or an outdated sports game, like NBA 2k3)

But yes, what Nintendo should do is lower these prices. Its ridiculous, really. $10 for an N64 game?....If you go to a local GameStop/EBGames or w/e store you go to, you can buy an N64 game for $4...(You might as well start playing your N64 again!!!)...And an SNES game for 50 cents - $1 .....If they even sell those anymore

I think the main reason games are so costly is because if games cost like 100, everybody would buy a lot of games and it would take up all their channels and Wii's memory..Also, not everybody can go around saying "Ah, I just got done playing Mario 64 on my Wii."

GAH! SORRY for the double post. Its that, when I went to post my first reply, the guy above me didn't post yet, then after I posted it, I had something to say about his post, so, I had to quote it so he'd know who i'm talking to.

Well, it would be the gamestop in Hilliard/Dublin Ohio (close to Columbus for those who are not aware), around the Tuttle Crossing mall area, not in the mall, it's on a side street, for those in the columbus area, it's the exit off of I-270 in hilliard before going into dublin, or after dublin coming the opposite direction (but I am guessing you live in a different state, so you might not know this area), but yes, they cost around $10~$17, i'll try to post an image as soon as I can get hold of the cart, and I think I got the one in question for $17 exactly, not including tax

I would start this off by saying, maybe Nintendo could lower the price, maybe in a way you are right, maybe they are overcharging, after all this is all just software, no hardware like carts are, but like I said before, they probably used the pricing of used games from gamestop like stores

An N64 game for $4? LMAO :lol:, you have got to be kidding me, that cheap? ONLY $4? You have to show me proof of this, because I have a feeling you are lying, if you are talking about a goodwill store or a thrift store similar to that, maybe, but gamestop and other game stores like that DO NOT sell N64 games that cheap, you must have connections (knowing somebody that works there) I think you forgot the 1 somewhere, that or it is a really crappy game

And honestly, 50¢ for a SNES game? ANY game HAS TO BE over at least $1, the SNES shelf would be empty if you could grab a SNES game for that low

So let me guess the price for a NES game at your local game stores, um, hmm, pulling up a FREE, and that can't be, rethink what you are saying and re-reply when you have your facts right

You do know that if you want to add a reply based on what I said, it's as easy as copying my message, clicking EDIT on your message using the QUOTE tag around my message then typing your comeback under that

bangulo said:
i agree if you think getting something like Zelda for 5 dollars is over priced then go buy on eBay for ten. or castlevenia for 5. hell ive seen SMB3 loose go for 30$ and 300$ sealed. if you think is over charging the buy the real think and stop your bitching.
Thanks bangulo, at least somebody here understands

Last edited:
i dont want to sound like an idiot but what do you mean... i hope you mean you agree with him because he is right... im not trying to like call you out or anything i just wondered what you meant by that

Wow I cant help myself, like Jay-Z or Michael Jordan this will be my last time around.

Cipers proclimation that he is in the business is in fact trying to negate my posting on his ignorance. I have given a general rundown on my background in this particular field (BS in comp programming, minor in electronics engineering, have held a CNA, MCSE, and weak A+ and Network+ certs)....I have worked for Xircom, Intel, and various publishing houses that make everything from flash games to industrial software for auto dealerships. My knowledge isn't based off of general heresay.

He has tried to rebuke my proclamations on firmware updates, mods, etc. with his own "knowledge" and said basically I don't know what I am taking about. No sir, you do not know what you are talking about. I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest I am merely trying to convey that a large market in mods will ultimately make big "N" pissed off.

As a community we are already bitching about lack of decent VC games. Lack of Channel updates and some shortcomings of the system (Wii). This bitching will increase one hundred fold once soft or hard mods are extensively taking away from Nintendo profits. Imagine waking up every week and instead of getting online to check for new VC games you are being told you have to update your system. New games will not work without the updates and as such make you a slave to the mod chip (as you will have to download work arounds, flash back the system to earlier versions of the firmware, etc.). I have compaired this to the PSP because this is the nature of modding and is reflected in that particular communities hassel with modding.

One thinks that they mod their system and it is only their system they affect. A large enough population mods and Nintendo sees fit to lockdown the system THAT affects us all. I do not want weekly updates that only bloat the firmware and OS of my Wii. More and more firmware updates makes any Wii owner more vunerable to a software engineers little screw up (they are human too). Which in turn means new firmware updates and the circle continues forever.

Lastly there are just some of us who aren't wanna-be hackers and really don't care to pay the price for entertainment. A few bucks isn't bad to pay for a game when it takes $40 to fill my cars tank. I do not want to pay for your ignorance and stupidity. Wonder why games cost $50+ it is because developers spend millions of dollars making a game. They have to figure in the cost to make a game (including production, shipping, etc.), the cost of someone physically stealing a game, the cost of unwarrented duplications, and profit margines. This drives the price up more and more. An economics class may enlighten one to what drives the system alot of you so loath.

Ciper: You have yet to negate anything I have said beyond saying "That is crap." Open not only your venacular but do your homework a little before trying to bust me out.

Last edited:
i agree with you 100%... i thought ciper was being negative to what you said i just didn't want to piss anyone off. But all the bitching and moaning that has been going on lately is pissing me off i love the wii games i own and i totally don't mind paying money for them the more money we give them now means more great games and actual updates in the future... I really don't want to wake up and have to download updates every week just cause some people decided i hate spending money on entertainment... If it comes to that i hope Nintendo just bricks their systems to teach them a lesson because as a person who pays for the services Nintendo brings me i don't appreciate the people that are trying to steal it?

ciper said:
I havn't kept track of the latest releases but I know that the SNES NES Genesis and GameBoy Advance emulators run on the Wii now. Wouldn't you rather play the original unedited version of the game than pay 5-10$ for a limited selection from the VC store?

With all those minimum wage workers and crappy unmaintained security systems, wouldn't you rather get a five-finger discount on your Wii than pay retail?

This is Nintendo's first stab at keeping old games alive on this scale, and they haven't accomplished it flawlessly, but if gamers don't support it, why would they keep trying?

i agree with you thats why i support it... Ciper is and idiot i'm sorry but i cant lie this guy is the reason that we have to pay so much for a product... i also thing he is either poor or a tight wad or just a loser for thinking $5-$10 is a lot for a video game... thats just my opinion thought i don't mean to attack i just think it is ridiculous to steal something that cost on a average less than $10

Back