I like this game better than SMG

T3kNi9e

Conquistador
Dec 1, 2007
Augusta, GA
The biggest downside was SMG's easiness. But even with some harder levels I just wasn't having much fun because there was no reward except getting a star to levels.

SPM is RPG/Platformer so its more fun to me. It brings back the nostalgic feeling of side scrolling mario game. But sadly its also extremely easy (so far). The level designs are as easy as they come. Also alot of things can be passed extremely easy with flipping to 3d mode and just walking by.

For example the fire things that used to be in Bowsers castles:

004.jpg

Alot of the levels, you can put 3d mode and just walk past those EASY. So there are no real obstacles. The hardest parts are kind of a puzzle when you have to figure out how to do something. Though those are usually easy to.

So since both games are really easy, it comes down to the Nostalgic feeling I get from side scrolling mario and the fact that it has a RPG aspect of leveling up, items, abilities, etc.

Tell me this game is easy after you beat the pit of 100 trials.
I want to see a 3D mario game return to its roots, but entirely in 3D and not an RPG. Why not have worlds and levels? Why not make it linear and challenging and not having it focus around one small "headquarters" like the comet observatory or Peach's castle. Sonic games have done it pretty well, so it can be done. But no matter how much I fantisize, it won't happen so why bother?

I like the Worlds and Levels type style. I also like the side scroller better IMO. More fast pace, more challenging and just overall fun.

But so far SPM is just really easy so far. Most of the challenge in it has been puzzles and those puzzles have been easy because they basically tell you what to do. The other problem is that more of the obstacles in the games are from going 2d to 3d and walking. There's barely any monsters to fight like back in Super Mario 1/2/3/World

T3kNi9e said:
I like the Worlds and Levels type style. I also like the side scroller better IMO. More fast pace, more challenging and just overall fun.

But so far SPM is just really easy so far. Most of the challenge in it has been puzzles and those puzzles have been easy because they basically tell you what to do. The other problem is that more of the obstacles in the games are from going 2d to 3d and walking. There's barely any monsters to fight like back in Super Mario 1/2/3/World
you wont say it's easy after you beat flipside and flopside pit of 100 trials :lol:

I just went through most of the flipside trials, got bored of it and reset game.

Its not really hard, its just a maze/puzzle type thing. You kill someone to get the key and move on.

On the plus side, I got to chapter 3 and its starting to remind me of the older marios and finally starting to put more enemies that actually do something besides walk back and forth.

T3kNi9e said:
I just went through most of the flipside trials, got bored of it and reset game.

Its not really hard, its just a maze/puzzle type thing. You kill someone to get the key and move on.

On the plus side, I got to chapter 3 and its starting to remind me of the older marios and finally starting to put more enemies that actually do something besides walk back and forth.

Well you know, not all of us have no lives like you.

Yea I know, most people are clocking more than a hour and a half in one day...

I was out all day since 7am and didnt get back home until 6pm

T3kNi9e said:
Yea I know, most people are clocking more than a hour and a half in one day...

I was out all day since 7am and didnt get back home until 6pm

Were you at a friends house playing Xbox with him??? cuz thats actually what i do on occasion. lol, Xbox live parties.

{BeginEssaySequence}

I beat it in around a month after it came out. (I play slow). It wasn't what I was expecting. Personally, I bought the game because I liked the other Paper Mario games that had you going into battle and using timing to get double jumps/style points/harder hammer hits. I think they overdid the 3D thing and lost the things that made the other games successful...

In the other games you had to fight every enemy in a sense, unless you wanted to run by real quick. In this game it's almost like you only have to fight bosses and enemies with keys if you chose to...

I think I'll get the N64 PaperMario off VC and play it tonight......

Related Galaxy VS Paper... I had fun playing Galaxy when it came out. I got every single star and unlocked the second mode. I didn't play the second mode yet however... In my opinion, Galaxy used the Wii a lot better. You had to shoot starbits by pointing the wiimote and spin by shaking it. There was a lot more going on. It's a tossup 'cause I haven't played Paper Mario in at least 3 months, and I just beat Galaxy maybe a month ago... I'd go with Paper Mario since the storyline is much deeper than "I got kidnapped". Either way, I'm now playing Fire Emblem...

{EndEssaySequence}

Last edited:
Yeh you can basically run past everyone. But I think in the end you will have more trouble killing things later on in the game since you will have low hp and low attack damage. But since I havent gotten that far I dont actually know yet.

When you say you got through "most" of the flipsde trails, how many is that? The enemies don't stay easy for long, and when you get to the last 20 floors, you're fighting swarms of some of the hardest enemies in the game.

I myself cant stand the fact that they are both so damned easy.......

Mario isnt supposed to be challenging???? uh, ok, maybe to some noobs who started on all these gay little Mario RPGs.....sunshine, paper, whatever.

Mario = Challenge.......not flowers and rainbows.....wtf

Pit of 100 trials is as difficult as getting through the first quarter of any NES game. it is slightly time consuming, then when you get done, you have so much XP that the game is now even easier......I might as well just watch a children's cartoon with stars and mushrooms, because it takes little human interaction......us older wii fans get the shaft..

so you are telling me, that the pit of 100 trials is harder than getting to even world 5 or 6 on super mario 2??????? LOL

You know what these games are? Baby sitters......

Back