If We Bother Nintendo Enough, Maybe HD Support?

Although I want at least 720p, LOTS of people still aren't even using HD displays and Nintendo's target was the general family or consumer. I personally ONLY know 2 other people that even own HDTV sets. I am the only one in the family that even has an HDTV set as well.

Whether or not the hardware is capable of the feature they could/would have raised the price just touting HD support. I highly doubt that it can handle the HD resolutions and decent and constant framerates though else you'd think they would have included support.

Hopefully its possible but if its not I knew when I bought my Wii that I was giving up HD support for a cheaper price and innovation.

The wii system could produce HD resolutions but would need an firmware update which is the same as a driver update for a video card. The provided ATI video card the Wii uses is base off from some of ati radeon technology plus more and less. ATI lowest, oldest, no shader support, super basic, and no longer made a while back ago radeon card is an ATI 7000 which can produce resolutions of 1024x768 and higher which are all progressive which is HD. HD resolution has always been played on computer games. The PS2 produce 1080i with Gran Turismo and it's video card is slower and less featured then the gamecube. Everything the PS2 had the gamecube had it plus more. Read my first post on page 1 for my theory as to why Nintendo chose 480p over 1080i.

epikon said:
it wont happen.

lol - 3 words is all that this needed.

jlspec, I don't know where you're getting your information from, please provide a trusted source so that we can validate your comments that the Wii can support HD after a firmware update.

From what I understand, for the Wii to support HD, it would require new hardware, not software/firmware. It physically can not output a HD signal in it's current state - however I may be wrong, but this is what I've been led to believe by Nintendo / Sony and Microsoft.

Like I said jlspec, you seem to know much about this, so it would be good if you could share your source.

jlspec, I don't know where you're getting your information from, please provide a trusted source so that we can validate your comments that the Wii can support HD after a firmware update.

From what I understand, for the Wii to support HD, it would require new hardware, not software/firmware. It physically can not output a HD signal in it's current state - however I may be wrong, but this is what I've been led to believe by Nintendo / Sony and Microsoft.

you ARE wrong. just the other day my friend downloaded 1080p(high high def) support for his XBOX360. and apparently the orginal xbox supported 720p and the gamecube was almost as good as it. and wii is 2x GC. so........it IS completely possible to do this with a firmware update. READ AND TAKE HEED!

Video card technology and capability are pretty much common knowledge if your into computer games or computer technology. In simple term it means that if a video card has enough processing power (no needed for anything special to be added) it can produce high resolution if the driver/firmware allows it. It was stated a while back ago from Nintendo how powerful the gamecube video card is and what the Wii is, then compare that to a video card that was made back in the late 90's. Just because a company or competing company say what a video can't do doesn't mean the technology won't allow it, but what the creater won't allow it. For example, Doom 3, when it was release the maker made the game to be able run at 640x480 (480p) with a slower computer. Computer builders and reviewers pretty much said that the only way to play this game was with a 9600XT or better. Hope im making sense?

2ZeBeach said:
Hey Everyone,
Just a thought. Maybe if Nintendo gets enough requests for a HD (720p, 1080i, 1080p) upgrade it will take it into consideration? I sent them an email asking about this because I think its a big problem. When I use component cables on a 42" hdtv the jaggies are horrible. All i want is a smooth looking picture. This isn't unprecedented because the Xbox 360 released an upgrade to give it 1080p support. So, if you're having the same issues why not take thirty seconds to express them to nintendo and let them know that the Wii owners of the world would appreciate at least a 720p upgrade.

Here is the link to the nintendo email customer support form:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform.jsp

Nintendo's main reason for not using HD is because they implimented it in the Gamecube, and only .1% of their customers actually used the HD feature. It was a waste of money to make the Gamecube able to run in Progressive scan mode in Nintendo's eyes. And truthfully, I could care less about the picture quality. If I want a High Def picture I'll just play a game on my Computer. Would you have prefered that Nintendo put in all the bells and whistles so you could pay $600 for a Wii? Cause I wouldn't have bought one if they costed that much.

dude.....its a FREE SOFTWARE UPGRADE THAT NINTENDOS SCAREDY LITTLE ASSES CAN GIVE US! sheesh.

Ok. Let's just say that yes you could get a software update to support HD. Even so, it would make the games run at a slower framerate by raising the res. and the Wii has a hard enough time keeping a good framerate with games already. No HD for the Wii, and if they do impliment it somehow through a software upgrade, it wouldn't be worth using. The gamecube could do it, yes, but only if the game was built to support it. All the games out for the Wii, and in developement are not going to support HD so it's a pointless argument. You should just be happy you got a Wii, unlike those poor souls in the "Still waiting for a Wii" thread.

u paid 250 bucks for the wii. there's not much more you can do. the reason why the wii is selling like hotcakes is because of its price. if it were the same as the ps3, there's no way nintendo would have had a chance. there are both positive and negative aspects to the wii and the ps3. you pay less for crappy graphics and you pay a crap load more for amazing details =) ps3 owns =)

OK, WTF are you saying about your "jaggies?" I play mine on our HD BigScreen, and I don't see any difference with my TV in my room.
Am I lucky and don't get jaggies? Also, please be more specific as to what your "jaggies" are. Maybe a picture?
Then I'll probobly be more help...

Steel-Froggy said:
OK, WTF are you saying about your "jaggies?" I play mine on our HD BigScreen, and I don't see any difference with my TV in my room.
Am I lucky and don't get jaggies? Also, please be more specific as to what your "jaggies" are. Maybe a picture?
Then I'll probobly be more help...

Are you using component or composite cables?

Component cables give a sharper picture and a progressive video output. Because the picture is much clearer the jaggies are more apparent with these.

If you play wii bowling with a component cable and look at the edges of the alley ways thats the best example of jaggies. the sides of the alleys arent straight, they have a jagged stairs look to them.

2ZeBeach said:
Hey Everyone,
Just a thought. Maybe if Nintendo gets enough requests for a HD (720p, 1080i, 1080p) upgrade it will take it into consideration? I sent them an email asking about this because I think its a big problem. When I use component cables on a 42" hdtv the jaggies are horrible. All i want is a smooth looking picture. This isn't unprecedented because the Xbox 360 released an upgrade to give it 1080p support. So, if you're having the same issues why not take thirty seconds to express them to nintendo and let them know that the Wii owners of the world would appreciate at least a 720p upgrade.

Here is the link to the nintendo email customer support form:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform.jsp

No matter what you do, Nintendo will never focus on graphics over gameplay or even as much as gameplay as long as Iwata-san is el presidente (I believe I just mixed Japanese and Spanish... that's a bad omen). Besides, graphics don't make the game. Why do you think millions of people are still devoted to the NES?

When he says "jaggies" he's reffering to being able to see the pixels. On a 1080 HD TV a 640x480 res. will look horribly pixelated.

If the jaggies bother you, don't use the cables for the HD TV use the RCAs and have a blurry picture. Otherwise forget it. Nintendo made up it's mind about HD a long time ago.

daonei said:
u paid 250 bucks for the wii. there's not much more you can do. the reason why the wii is selling like hotcakes is because of its price. if it were the same as the ps3, there's no way nintendo would have had a chance. there are both positive and negative aspects to the wii and the ps3. you pay less for crappy graphics and you pay a crap load more for amazing details =) ps3 owns =)
whaty good is it for me to pay "crap load more for amazing details" but no quality games to play?

wii owns!

Back