If We Bother Nintendo Enough, Maybe HD Support?

trentdk said:
ROFL, you can wait? No need, read 7 post above yours.

I'm not trying to argue that it is a good idea to increase the resolution, I'm just saying that it is entirely possible with the Wii's hardware. And as I stated in my first post, the only way a firmware update would not be able to allow higher resolutions is if they were able to save money somehow by designing the ATI chip to run only the 480i/p resolution at 4:3 and 16:9. However, that seems unlikely and more "going out of the way" to prevent higher resolutions physically.

Everyone just assumes that because Microsoft was able to allow 1080p with a firmware release that Nintendo will be able to do the same thing.

Nintendo's hardware just doesn't have the "juice" to handle the higher resolutions. Let's not even mention that the 360 is using a Windows OS

Is it possible. Doubtful. Will it happen? Guaranteed not.

I would love to be wrong on this, because Zelda or Resident Evil would look great in 720p or higher.

Last edited:
dreamcastrocks said:
Everyone just assumes that because Microsoft was able to allow 1080p with a firmware release that Nintendo will be able to do the same thing.

Nintendo's hardware just doesn't have the "juice" to handle the higher resolutions. Let's not even mention that the 360 is using a Windows OS

Is it possible. Doubtful. Will it happen? Guaranteed not.

I would love to be wrong on this, because Zelda or Resident Evil would look great in 720p or higher.
True. Zelda in HD will be amazing. I say "Will" because in 5 years when Nintendo's next-gen system comes out it will have HDTV support, and of course it's gonna have Zelda. Until then I can wait patiently and play the most beautiful Zelda game ever made. I am glad that Nintendo gave people fair warning about the graphical capabilities of the Wii. I would've been REALLY pissed if Nintendo released the Wii and everyone was expecting XBox360 equivalent graphics.

pity the Wii uses Linux then really, a far more stable OS than windows,

If Nintendo are using ATI standard chips (it would cost them more not too) then these resolutions by default are entirely possible, whether they would cause your game to run at 1fps and burn your house down is a different matter.

I'm assuming, that 480p is the max for the Wii due to size, heat and framerate issues for the time being, otherwise it would have been included, to rule anything out completely is just ignorant though. Remember cost issues as well.

And yes the Xbox was patched to allow for higher resolutions, but the Xbox is marred by much lower reliability than the Wii, over heating is a big problem. Yes Xbox1 had a 720p output mode, but the graphics card in that was actually better than the one in the Wii.

Things aren't as black and white as the Wii being more powerful than an Xbox, certain aspects are and certain ones aren't. The Wii has a faster clock speed and more RAM, but the graphics card is inferior.

El Jefe said:
True. Zelda in HD will be amazing. I say "Will" because in 5 years when Nintendo's next-gen system comes out it will have HDTV support, and of course it's gonna have Zelda. Until then I can wait patiently and play the most beautiful Zelda game ever made. I am glad that Nintendo gave people fair warning about the graphical capabilities of the Wii. I would've been REALLY pissed if Nintendo released the Wii and everyone was expecting XBox360 equivalent graphics.

That is exactly my point. Nintendo will join the HD revolution, when it is profitable for them to do so. That means, not this generation.

Even with the "crappy" 480p, Nintendo can't keep the Wii on the shelves. There isn't even a need from a business standpoint to broaden the fanbase by including HD. They have already expanded it by getting "non-gamers" back into gaming.

If there's anything we should bug them about it's online playability. They need to stop being stubborn and have everything online (including VC games.)

WiiDS said:
If there's anything we should bug them about it's online playability. They need to stop being stubborn and have everything online (including VC games.)

Absolutely agree. There should be 10 VC releases per week. They have all these consoles to choose from.

dreamcastrocks said:
Absolutely agree. There should be 10 VC releases per week. They have all these consoles to choose from.
Yes, I was rather unimpressed with nintendo's first release titles for the VC. But Sega supposedly has 10 more games due out for VC before the end of the first quarter. All I really want, is Mario 3, and Sonic 2. And I don't even know how much I'll actually play them. I've had these games before, and have the ROMs to play on emulators (I bought the cartridges so I think I'm entitled to download the ROM because my SNES and Genesis don't work anymore). Nintendo's trying to pace the VC. If they had all the games available from the very beginning, it wouldn't keep people's attention. They'd go, download the few games they wanted, then never shop again. The way Nintendo is doing the VC is smart from a business standpoint.

The ati radeon 8500 ran Counter Strike Source with some eye candy on at resolutions of 800x600 with a pentium 3 running at 600mhz/256mb. True, the ATI 8500 won't be able to run todays games at 2048x1536 but it can diffenetly run some of those games at 1028x720 or 800x600. I believe the Wii can do 1080i as it requires less processing power as compare to 800x600 or 720p. The xbox 1 video card was a degraded Geforce 3 (Geforce 3 and 8500 are pretty much on par, at that time ATI just had bad drivers) For everyone that thinks the Wii video card can't produce HD resolutions, you should do some research and learn more about video card technology. If your still not sure, just look at your computer; its in HD and most of you will be running it off of some crap on-board video that has less processing power then the N64.

Last edited:
dreamcastrocks said:

I meant we should be able to play VC games online against other people.

jlspec said:
The ati radeon 8500 ran Counter Strike Source with some eye candy on at resolutions of 800x600 with a pentium 3 running at 600mhz/256mb. True, the ATI 8500 won't be able to run todays games at 2048x1536 but it can diffenetly run some of those games at 1028x720 or 800x600. I believe the Wii can do 1080i as it requires less processing power as compare to 800x600 or 720p. The xbox 1 video card was a degraded Geforce 3 (Geforce 3 and 8500 are pretty much on par, at that time ATI just had bad drivers) For everyone that thinks the Wii video card can't produce HD resolutions, you should do some research and learn more about video card technology. If your still not sure, just look at your computer; its in HD and most of you will be running it off of some crap on-board video that has less processing power then the N64.
Yeah, but at the same time, I think a video card has to be made to perform at certain resolutions. It's not even a speed issue. Remember back in the day When 3Dfx and Diamond got together and made the Monster 3D 2? You could connect 2 Monsster 3D 2s together, and double your videocard power, but that didn't increase the maximum resolution. The hardware must be made to support the resolution otherwise you'll just be emulating the hardware, and that would greatly degrade performance. Probly to the point that anything would be unplayable.

WiiDS said:
I meant we should be able to play VC games online against other people.
I downloaded Bomberman 93 for Turbo graphics, and it has an option for Com-Link play. I was wondering if this was an actual online play feature or just something the original game had that can't be used now.

trentdk said:
ROFL, you can wait? No need, read 7 post above yours.

I'm not trying to argue that it is a good idea to increase the resolution, I'm just saying that it is entirely possible with the Wii's hardware. And as I stated in my first post, the only way a firmware update would not be able to allow higher resolutions is if they were able to save money somehow by designing the ATI chip to run only the 480i/p resolution at 4:3 and 16:9. However, that seems unlikely and more "going out of the way" to prevent higher resolutions physically.

So you are saying Nintendo, instead of claiming that they could eventually upgrade to high definition, they decided to tell everyone they would not have High Def and get tons of crap for it?

Yes that seems completely logical. And I bet Nintendo will send you 100 free games for your birthday.

Actually it's driver/bios limited not hardware. For example, on some video cards if you use the wrong driver and it happened to work, the resolution is increase to what the that driver allowed. Only problem is that if the hardware is way to weak to perform that resolution it will have a shorter life span. Bios and driver can be updated.

Resident Evil 4 which runs on the gamecube easily will require a much stronger video card to be able to run on the computer then an 8500. The Wii hardware as we know is a overclocked and improve version of the Gamecube video card.

Anyway, HD is not needed for good looking graphics but high res texture is all that is needed plus poloygon count bump.

Last edited:
Ok. So we all agree that it would greatly reduce performance, and that Nintnedo won't do this, but you're saying it IS possible?

yea but think about this....people complained that the wii wasnt going to play dvd's and now ninty is releasing a dvd capable wii....wat if they did the same with high def graphics? they could offer current wii owners a great trade in deal or the choice to ship off their wiis to be modded by ninendo.

Back